2019-2020 Application Thread

Dwar

2 hours ago, GabriellaG said:

So I know that some people have been writing to their schools they want to go to (at least so it seems here and on the results section) and asking about waitlisting, timelines, etc. And I was just wondering what the group's opinions are on trying to make your case to either a waitlist school (by ex: saying you would accept immediately if they offered it), or to a school you haven't been accepted to yet.

I've been going back and forth on it myself. It seems like it could be both harmful and beneficial depending on how you framed it. But I was just curious if any of you have done that and if you've gotten a generally positive or negative response from it? I'm dying here haha - I need to do something otherwise I'll go mad. 

Doesn't hurt to let the school know you'd 100% go if you were moved off the waitlist. That kind of info only helps them. Jumping the gun with schools that haven't sent out admits likely won't hurt, but I doubt it would help much unless they thought you were just treating them like a safety.... who knows... squeaky wheels tend to do well 

Hi all!

For those waiting for Notre Dame decisions, I sent an email to the program coordinator and she answered yesterday: "We are still making admissions decisions at this time and hope to have all decisions made by the end of next week."

I know there've been a couple of admissions (and i think some interviews earlier too), so the chances of recieving an offer might be low at this point, but just wanted to share the info.

Good luck!

3 hours ago, Dwar said:

This is 100% appropriate. You’re more likely to hear a positive response if you tell them they are your top choice. For waitlists I’d say that contacting the DGS a few times (maybe once a month or so) to just check in is appropriate.

But I’d also try and figure out when events are and contact after. For example, a lot of programs judge a students level of interest by their attendance at a recruitment event. Similarly a lot of students decide if they’ll attend a school after a recruitment event. So if you can figure out when the event is for your waitlisted school then It may work better if you email them a week after the event ends. 

46 minutes ago, e2e4 said:

Doesn't hurt to let the school know you'd 100% go if you were moved off the waitlist. That kind of info only helps them. Jumping the gun with schools that haven't sent out admits likely won't hurt, but I doubt it would help much unless they thought you were just treating them like a safety.... who knows... squeaky wheels tend to do well 

Thanks guys! Much appreciated!

1 minute ago, geoconvert said:

I haven't heard anything yet either and my portal still has the status marked Ready for Review

Same... full out panicking here ? UPenn is my top choice. 

1 minute ago, sloth_girl said:

Just got an acceptance to Penn via email (I'm CP for those that don't know already)

Congratulations! I’m also CP. no email from Penn... so I’m guessing now news is bad news in this case...

Hi all,

Not sure if it is relevant for folks on this forum, but I'm claiming a Duke University Sanford School rejection.  Appreciate that they got back to me in a reasonable time frame with a rejection, unlike some other programs (I'm looking at you, Georgetown).