2019-2020 Application Thread

Dwar

5 hours ago, LetMeInPLS said:

So I still have not heard back from UCLA and I know that they sent out their acceptances and, as far as I know, they have not sent out their rejections so i assume that I got rejected but does anyone know when they're planning on sending out the rejections and if anyone has gotten waitlisted yet? 

Usually most schools that delay rejections send them out in early March. I'm not sure that UCLA keeps an 'official' waiting list and notifies applicants that are on it, but you may be on a 'roll-down' list, which adcomms will sometimes use in a similar capacity.

I haven't received any communication from Columbia. It seems they send out rejections a couple days after they send acceptance letters. Going to assume my application's been rejected!

16 hours ago, weast said:

To those of you who got accepted to Columbia, could you share your subfield? Thank you, and congratulations! 

I'm IR

2 hours ago, Floof said:

For those that heard back from Columbia, did your status change from the attached image? Curious on what to look for because nothing has changed on my end. I'm assuming that means another rejection.

F09F1C00-CAE0-4B63-81E8-D37740BDD393.jpeg

My page still looks like this, too (status is still "submitted"). If I click on the 2020 Fall link it shows the acceptance letter. 

3 minutes ago, PoliSci4FlyGuys said:

I'm IR

My page still looks like this, too (status is still "submitted"). If I click on the 2020 Fall link it shows the acceptance letter. 

Thanks, mine just shows this (I'm also IR)

E0D31013-5BF7-4928-8470-83C1D66B7AAD.jpeg

Edited by Floof

After receiving three positive answers, I finally had the courage to come here and check out the forum.

I am in my third cycle and it was nice to got something that is not a polite no. To everyone getting a lot of rejections, I know it is though and I wish the best for the remaining answers and in the next cycle.

One question: There is a perspective of UChicago and UNC dropping more acceptance? 

7 minutes ago, raduan said:

After receiving three positive answers, I finally had the courage to come here and check out the forum.

I am in my third cycle and it was nice to got something that is not a polite no. To everyone getting a lot of rejections, I know it is though and I wish the best for the remaining answers and in the next cycle.

One question: There is a perspective of UChicago and UNC dropping more acceptance? 

Chicago: no. If you haven't heard from them by now you're 99% rejected from the PhD. They take longer to send rejects because they consider admitting and consider funding to their masters programs, so there's a chance you get into one of those instead. 

13 minutes ago, PoliSci4FlyGuys said:

Anyone claiming the Harvard admit?

That's me - Hi! Only started lurking a few days ago. Just got a phone call, subfield Political Theory. They said they were doing calls first and the emails were going to go out in a short while. 

hey guys, reposting this here, hope that's okay. 

I'm an international student and just got admitted to Columbia but there was no mention of financial aid. I was just wondering if this is normal as funding is released later, or whether this means I won't be receiving any funding? 

I'm on the MA in Human Rights Studies 

2 minutes ago, Shayshay1331 said:

I'm an international student and just got admitted to Columbia but there was no mention of financial aid. I was just wondering if this is normal as funding is released later, or whether this means I won't be receiving any funding? 

With PhDs, funding offers can take up to six weeks. MAs vary program to program. Some have aid figured out when they send offers, others suggest you fill out FAFSA or other docs for them to review eligibility for federal loans, some give it a few weeks before they determine where the grants will flow. Fire off a message to the program and ask if funding details will follow or if they have a breakdown of tuition, fees, and costs that you can refer to. You are admitted, so feel free to get as much information as you can to help you make up your mind.

2 minutes ago, e2e4 said:

With PhDs, funding offers can take up to six weeks. MAs vary program to program. Some have aid figured out when they send offers, others suggest you fill out FAFSA or other docs for them to review eligibility for federal loans, some give it a few weeks before they determine where the grants will flow. Fire off a message to the program and ask if funding details will follow or if they have a breakdown of tuition, fees, and costs that you can refer to. You are admitted, so feel free to get as much information as you can to help you make up your mind.

Thanks so much for clarifying!! Will give it a day (it's super late here) and then go back for some more info. 

5 minutes ago, Shayshay1331 said:

Thanks so much for clarifying!! Will give it a day (it's super late here) and then go back for some more info. 

Give it a day, or even a few. Celebrate your acceptance. It is also not too late to send out some applications to CUNY's Marxe School, which is an excellent program, definitely on the up, and more affordable as I understand it. I believe that you can take classes across Columbia the consortium (Princeton, Baruch, etc.) as well. Deadline is March 1. There are other options with rolling deadlines up until late April if the aid is inadequate, though the quicker you jump on these apps, the more favorable your funding offer will be.

47 minutes ago, Shayshay1331 said:

For what it's worth, I am a PhD admit and my funding information came with the acceptance letter.