2019-2020 Application Thread

Dwar

2 hours ago, ps114 said:

Those accepted at Harvard--what subfields are you guys in??? Anyone in IR?

Waiting anxiously for news from them...

I'm CP (I do gender work though, so I also fall into American as a secondary category). 

Are there any other Columbia applicants who haven’t heard back yet? I checked my portal and it looks like there’s a new application for the MA program along with my original PhD application which is still in submitted status. Assuming this means I’ve been deferred to the MA pool, but wondering if anyone else is in the same boat! 

7 hours ago, starbucksqueen said:

Curious what everyone’s quant background is...I can’t tell if I have too little experience relative to competitive candidates 

I have zero quant background - last math I did was in high school and the methods course in my undergrad. I was still accepted to a top 5 program.

I'd definitely get some quant in if you can, but otherwise you can still be competitive. 

Curious what everyone’s quant background is...I can’t tell if I have too little experience relative to competitive candidates 

I took two undergraduate courses in research design (we covered regression analysis, spatial modeling, factor analysis, programming in R and SPSS, and data visualization). As an MA student, I took a course on inferential and descriptive network analysis. I think these courses may have compensated for my less-than-ideal quantitative GRE score.

Edited by uchenyy

I had a few quant courses from undergrad and a pretty good quant GRE (164). I've heard that it's more of a concern if you score below the 80th percentile, but if you score 80th percentile or above, then they are less concerned about the lack of quant courses. The exception for this is if you plan to do formal modeling work/game theory -- then they'll want to see a more robust quant transcript.

4 minutes ago, pablitothepinguim said:

For those still waiting for a response from UNC: I emailed them and they replied that "decisions have been submitted to the Graduate School and will be released shortly". 

Thanks for the info! I've been very anxious about this one.

47 minutes ago, starbucksqueen said:

Does anyone know if the AP Harvard emails were generic or personalized? Trying to figure out if there are more seats available...

I originally got a call and just got an more "generic" email today. They said they accepted 25 of over 500.