2019-2020 Application Thread

Dwar

11 minutes ago, Yang_Song1995 said:

I am sorry to ask, but I am waitlisted by Minnesota and hope admits who have better options to reject the offer soon.

Also, I wish to know is someone here waitlisted by Minnesota heard back from them?

Best,

What's your subfield?

On 3/26/2020 at 3:49 PM, sloth_girl said:

Just declined a good chunk of offers, so hopefully this helps someone on the WL! 

Thanks for the heads up - WashU has stayed in touch with me. I'm hoping for some good news.

Best of luck to you with whatever decision you make! ?

Has anyone been in touch with the NYU faculty or staff? I had been waitlisted and was wondering if the timeline for waitlist decisions have been affected at all by recent events.

4 hours ago, Comparative Politics Guy said:

Anybody know when it is usual for schools to start making their decisions about waitlists? I'm on a few waitlists lol

Honestly I think this year is going to be abnormal. Public schools are facing potential budget cuts that may constrain future classes, so programs may be more conservative this year. Private schools are not immune to this either, as there is a potential future decline in enrollment. Not to mention this has potential implications for the academic job market that may cause more graduate students to stay beyond 5-6 years creating an increase in the amount of money coming out of a department. All this is to say, academia is not immune to everything happening in the world right now. If anything, it is more so susceptible. It is not completely impossible, but I think the odds will be lower then most years for getting off the waitlist. 

2 hours ago, munch22 said:

Private schools are not immune to this either, as there is a potential future decline in enrollment.

Just wanted to add that private schools will also feel the squeeze in their endowments which will surely fall due to both the stock market crash as well as the decrease in donations. 

in theory big flagship schools may be better protected as federal aid to the states may be able to help (they received like 14 billion in this last bill), but at the same time they certainly do face cuts on the state level. 

last recession revenue was cut 25-50 percent on average. While this mostly translates into increase undergrad tuition (which doesn’t affect us), it can also lead to pots of money drying up. So conference travel, non-guaranteed summer funding, and additional fellowships and awards may all take a back seat for the moment. Now this all depends on how big this economic crisis is, and of course how long it lasts. If things do bounce back right away after the virus recedes then the affect could be minimal, but that’s a best case scenario. 

I’m honestly not sure how this will affect waitlists this year, but what I do know is what next year the competition will be much greater as a recession generally leads to an increase in grad school applications.

Edited by Dwar

Did anyone receive any information regarding the possibility of postponements of terms? As an international candidate, I am curious whether I will be able to attend my program of choice in August/September of this year as all the visa application process is currently frozen. 

5 hours ago, og_al said:

Did anyone receive any information regarding the possibility of postponements of terms? As an international candidate, I am curious whether I will be able to attend my program of choice in August/September of this year as all the visa application process is currently frozen. 

I know the case of international students has been brought up by faculty in several departments among faculty. At this point so much is unknown though that I don't think any decisions are being made or will be made for a few months.

3 hours ago, munch22 said:

I know the case of international students has been brought up by faculty in several departments among faculty. At this point so much is unknown though that I don't think any decisions are being made or will be made for a few months.

At this point, its a question of hanging in there and seeing how things turn out. After, a year (2 - 3 years for some), this additional uncertainty is quite harsh. But, this is a global thing, and no one knows how things will change. Just be in touch with your schools, as respectfully as this nervous time allows, and hope for the best.

Hang in there everyone...

@og_al

Another international student here. I would be very surprise if the universities do not find a way to accommodate our cases. The universities need internationals either for the tuition (undergrads) or for the labor (grads)  

I can tell you that from the uni that I will join the program that they told me that the documentation is ready, bur they will not send it until American embassies/consulates start to do visas again. 

On 4/3/2020 at 11:18 AM, raduan said:

I can tell you that from the uni that I will join the program that they told me that the documentation is ready, bur they will not send it until American embassies/consulates start to do visas again. 

Do you mean the I-20 document? 

I read from https://www.ice.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Document/2020/COVID-19FAQ.pdf that electronic version is accepted due to covid-19. But at least this helps to save some dollars for speed post. it was issued after I spent $60 on postal :(.... 

That being said, the embassies/ consulates are still closed. 

I think at the current stage, we can only pray for the medical teams and people who are combating this virus, do our study at home, stay positive and hope for the best ...

7 hours ago, american2020 said:

Claiming the UT Austin acceptance off the waitlist! Will now have to make the difficult decision between UT Austin and Michigan State. 

Congratulations! I don't know what your field is but UT Austin is a fantastic school! I spent 2 months in Austin for a job and worked with UT grads when I was there. I don't know much about East Lansing or MSU but I know UT Austin is in such a beautiful location with great weather, and the best BBQ I've ever had in my life. Hook em horns! 

CUNY has emailed me with a rejection to the PhD program and an acceptance to the MA program. Obviously it's not everything I wanted, but I will be entering this program in hopes of better positioning myself for future PhD applications. Thank you to everyone for the support during this cycle. 

Edited by niceward

1 hour ago, niceward said:

CUNY has emailed me with a rejection to the PhD program and an acceptance to the MA program. Obviously it's not everything I wanted, but I will be entering this program in hopes of better positioning myself for future PhD applications. Thank you to everyone for the support during this cycle. 

Congrats and good luck in your further pursuits!