2019-2020 Application Thread

Dwar

I just checked the portal of UChicago and found out that i've been offered admission to MAPSS with Phoenix Research Scholarship. If you're wondering if you got admission to this program maybe you should check your portal!

3 hours ago, Theory & Quant said:

I have heard Harvard also cancelled their recruitment event. 

11 hours ago, Theory & Quant said:

Which schools so far have cancelled their visiting days? Do you expect others to follow? 

Just got a notification that MIT cancelled theirs. 

Hay guys, I have a little bit wierd question. 

So, i have been getting in touch with the programs I was admitted to and whereas the professors are all very responsive, the same cannot be said for the graduate administrators. Sometimes they just do not reply to my emails or take a very long time to do so and generally not really helpful. I was wondering if this is the norm or are these departments just badly run? 

Especially at my top pick, the admin person's unresponsivness and inability to provide further information is very offputting and I do not know what to think about it.

20 minutes ago, ihatedecisions said:

I was wondering if this is the norm or are these departments just badly run? 

Definitely not the norm. In my experience with grad administrators, they’ve all been amazing. This is from experience at schools that I’ve been both admitted and rejected from. 

while I obviously don’t know the specific school or specific situation, I’d only say that while it’s great and make your life hella easier to have a responsive and caring person In that position, ultimately it’s the professors that make or break a program. 

On 3/7/2020 at 4:13 AM, Theory & Quant said:

Which schools so far have cancelled their visiting days? Do you expect others to follow? 

UNC has cancelled our recruitment weekend. 

On that note, I'll make my once-a-year offer: if any of you are considering UNC and have questions, feel free to reach out to me via DM. I'm a current soon-to-be ABD in the department and I'm happy to talk. 

UW-Madison also cancelled. I understand that the schools feel like they're in a predicament, and really can sympathize, but I'm lost as to how a university can expect students to make a decision like this, sight unseen and with extremely limited access to current students/faculty/resources.

On 3/11/2020 at 2:12 PM, Artifex_Archer said:

UW-Madison also cancelled. I understand that the schools feel like they're in a predicament, and really can sympathize, but I'm lost as to how a university can expect students to make a decision like this, sight unseen and with extremely limited access to current students/faculty/resources.

It's moved to online sessions now, and we can take a glimpse at least :)!

10 hours ago, horololo said:

It's moved to online sessions now, and we can take a glimpse at least :)!

Yep—I'm tuned in now. :) Would be great to have virtual meet-up sub-forums for admitted cohorts, since so many schools are doing online visiting days. I got lucky with some of the visiting days that were scheduled earlier...

Also, could someone please assuage my anxiety over this quarantine stuff continuing into the fall? My nightmare scenario is that schools will decide to defer all new enrollment until who knows what. Logically, I know that wouldn't be economically feasible for an institution, but panic does funny things to people.

31 minutes ago, Artifex_Archer said:

Yep—I'm tuned in now. :) Would be great to have virtual meet-up sub-forums for admitted cohorts, since so many schools are doing online visiting days. I got lucky with some of the visiting days that were scheduled earlier...

Also, could someone please assuage my anxiety over this quarantine stuff continuing into the fall? My nightmare scenario is that schools will decide to defer all new enrollment until who knows what. Logically, I know that wouldn't be economically feasible for an institution, but panic does funny things to people.

had it been the original offline visit, I guess we would have met!

I am extremely worried about the situation, too. I live in Asia, so I am worried that the visa process just may not proceed or something..