2019-2020 Application Thread

Dwar

32 minutes ago, Artifex_Archer said:

Also, could someone please assuage my anxiety over this quarantine stuff continuing into the fall? My nightmare scenario is that schools will decide to defer all new enrollment until who knows what. Logically, I know that wouldn't be economically feasible for an institution, but panic does funny things to people.

Although this is a very serious virus, I think that we should be fine by early summer, if not sooner. I don't think we should worry about this right now. Even if the virus did continue until then, classes would probably be held online. :) 

33 minutes ago, uchenyy said:

Although this is a very serious virus, I think that we should be fine by early summer, if not sooner. I don't think we should worry about this right now. Even if the virus did continue until then, classes would probably be held online. :) 

Having classes online is my worst scenario! That'll make us miss the opportunity to interact with faculty and peer students for a while, which is a big part of graduate life :( 

5 minutes ago, horololo said:

Having classes online is my worst scenario! That'll make us miss the opportunity to interact with faculty and peer students for a while, which is a big part of graduate life :( 

Just as long as everyone commits up front to revolting en masse if this happens, I think we can resist any overly protectionist policies...

How are ya'll coping with the whole corona-virus situation? I'm guessing that all major universities have cancelled their visiting days by now and many universities have taken their classes online for the rest of the semester. For those not  being able to visit the programs they were admitted to, how are you going to make your decisions on where to go?

In a broader sense, it all feels a bit surreal with European countries shutting down left and right, and knowing that the worst is yet to come to the US. There is a sense of panic where I am in central US with schools cancelled, shortage of goods in the grocery stores, and paranoia all around. What is your experience?

HAHA same. My work is enforcing a work from home policy for the next two weeks. Super surreal.

i think my worst case scenario (besides like dying from it) is that the school closures will spill over into the fall semester and I won’t be able to attend grad school in August. 

Edited by Dwar

oh I really doubt that will be happening. By next semester everyone will know very well how to conduct their classes online if need be so I think they will be ready/able to do that if need be. And it would be very bad for any program to be missing an entire cohort so I am doubting that that will happen.

9 minutes ago, Theory007 said:

oh I really doubt that will be happening. By next semester everyone will know very well how to conduct their classes online if need be so I think they will be ready/able to do that if need be. And it would be very bad for any program to be missing an entire cohort so I am doubting that that will happen.

That’s what I keep telling myself. Also, the financial impact of keeping a school closed for an additional semester would be monumental and Something that I’m sure most schools would want to avoid. 

But ya know, the fear is there! 

21 hours ago, Dwar said:

That’s what I keep telling myself. Also, the financial impact of keeping a school closed for an additional semester would be monumental and Something that I’m sure most schools would want to avoid. 

But ya know, the fear is there! 

I'm trying to remain positive as well, lol. I received the offer I plan to accept from the DGS, but the offer hasn't been uploaded to the website for me to accept yet. And now that pretty much all universities are shut down, it could be a while. My irrational fear is that the virus will ruin schools economically and my offer will be rescinded. Very unlikely, but it is hard not to worry when it comes to graduate admissions

On 3/13/2020 at 5:32 PM, Theory007 said:

How are ya'll coping with the whole corona-virus situation? I'm guessing that all major universities have cancelled their visiting days by now and many universities have taken their classes online for the rest of the semester. For those not  being able to visit the programs they were admitted to, how are you going to make your decisions on where to go?

I accepted my offer at UNC-Chapel Hill. I based my decision on (1) my excellent fit with the department, (2) the department's rank, (3) several conversations with a recent graduate of the program, and (4) excellent conversations with the CP subfield chair and DGA. I am thrilled to join this department in August! 

Edited by uchenyy

Allow me to present a different take on the visit's cancellation. Many foreign admits, like myself, can't be present for some reason. It will be nice to have the chance to participate in that even though it would be online. I don't think that will reach any faculty, but they should tape these events to have something  that they can present to future foreign admin  

Also, I don't think that having online classes next fall is out of the question. All American uni has a lot of the international students. Here, for example, it is virtually impossible to buy a ticket to the US. I don't think it is any different in Europe and Asia. Even if the Covid-19 recede in the spring, it will take some time to a lot of things to normalize. For example, I need to receive documentation from my uni to start the process for the visa. I have no idea how long this process is going to take considering the current air traffic chaos. 

Edited by raduan

What questions are everyone asking faculty and students (for those who were fortunate enough to be admitted somewhere). And I don't mean the standard/obvious ones that everyone asks (eg. "stipend information"? "cohort size", living", research opportunities").

Edited by SeriousDiver

2 minutes ago, SeriousDiver said:

What questions are everyone asking faculty and students (for those who were fortunate enough to be admitted somewhere). And I don't mean the standard/obvious ones that everyone asks (eg. "stipend information"? "cohort size", living", research opportunities").

• Placement
  • Mentorship
  • Curriculum 
  • Professional development opportunities 
  • Collaboration with faculty 
  • Teaching opportunities 
  • Summer/research/conference travel funding
  • Intellectual climate of the program/university 
  • Diversity 
  • Methodological variety
  • Availability of interdisciplinary collaboration with other programs/institutes

These are the general topics I have asked to the colleges I got accepted. You can generate your own wording for these but I believe placement/conference funding and diversity (especially for international students) are especially important to ask.

15 hours ago, SeriousDiver said:

https://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2014/03/some-advice-to-prospective-graduate-students-visiting-departments.html I found this post on the topic on Leiter Reports, a well-known philosophy blog, particularly helpful. The comments are also useful. 

Hi everyone!

I've been following the thread for a while now, but commenting here for the first time.

I just got a wait-listing from the Government Department at Georgetown (I applied for IR), and although very cliche,

I hope I could ask any of you who received acceptances but plan on attending other institutions to please inform Georgetown that you won't be attending.

Georgetown is my dream school and the only thing close of a chance for me in this cycle so I'd really appreciate any help!

I hope you all stay safe in this hectic period of time!

26 Mar 2020, e-mail received with link to check Georgetown PhD Gov't status update. Standard rejection letter.

So this is farewell to everybody here. I wish you all the best of luck if you choose to continue on this path. But that's it for me. I will not be applying anymore (a decision I've made before this began cycle - do not assume it's temporary rage or whatever xD!). I'm out of the PhD/academic race. I'll simply continue with my research as a side job/hobby, shifting my research skills to work (high tec industry, actually a salary that allows me to hire research assistant(s) lol!!! I never thought about that before...). It has so far proven itself to be quite satisfying! So I recommend it, particularly once you realize you aren't giving up on too much besides solo authorship peer-reviewed articles really...

My personal tip: join tweeter if you haven't. The academic chatter that happens there is super important. It is a major source of information, and if you follow the right/relevant people (and I also recommend following stuff related to post/alternative academia stuff) then let your brain process the information. And of course, act based on this intelligence.

Ciao!