2019-2020 Application Thread

Dwar

2 hours ago, PoliticalTheory13 said:

Congrats! Wonder why I haven't heard anything yet though. 

Ohio State has weird funding mechanisms. Some people get funded through the university via the university's fellowship competition, and then the department decides on funding for those who don't win the big University competition. 

1 minute ago, BunniesInSpace said:

Ohio State has weird funding mechanisms. Some people get funded through the university via the university's fellowship competition, and then the department decides on funding for those who don't win the big University competition. 

Do you know if they are going to fund everyone this year? I think they’ve had trouble doing that in years past 

Edited by Dwar

2 hours ago, Mr_Spock2018 said:

Hi all,

Not sure if it is relevant for folks on this forum, but I'm claiming a Duke University Sanford School rejection.  Appreciate that they got back to me in a reasonable time frame with a rejection, unlike some other programs (I'm looking at you, Georgetown).  

the department of political science at duke university basically announced that they are not admitting new students this year and returned the application fee..

6 minutes ago, BunniesInSpace said:

No idea. I have no affiliation with Ohio State and don't know too much there beyond what I've read here. 

Gotcha. I didn’t apply this year or anything, was just curious. I know that in the past top programs like OSU and UCLA have had trouble funding all students. Didn’t know if that was still the case. 

40 minutes ago, horololo said:

the department of political science at duke university basically announced that they are not admitting new students this year and returned the application fee..

Sanford is the public policy school at Duke which is accepting students.

3 hours ago, Dwar said:

Gotcha. I didn’t apply this year or anything, was just curious. I know that in the past top programs like OSU and UCLA have had trouble funding all students. Didn’t know if that was still the case. 

UCLA's funding is contingent on keeping a 3.7 GPA. I don't know how tough that is in their program, but that might be a way they're trying to cull the number of fully funded students...

3 minutes ago, captmarvel said:

UCLA's funding is contingent on keeping a 3.7 GPA. I don't know how tough that is in their program, but that might be a way they're trying to cull the number of fully funded students...

I feel like it would be pretty difficult to drop below a 3.7 GPA in a graduate program. In my experience as an MA student at a major R1 institution where MA and PhD students take the same courses, it is pretty difficult to get below an A- in a class. Not sure how things work at UCLA, though.

There are, obviously, exceptions and some professors do grade quite aggressively. 

Edited by uchenyy

On 2/20/2020 at 11:53 AM, ihatedecisions said:

has anybody heard from OSU regarding the funding? 

I was among those who could not receive some e-mails due to some errors in OSU e-mail system, and I have contacted to DGS few days ago whether I still have the same problem or not. She told me that I am waitlisted for the funding, and they did not share information on campus visit yet.

While all other schools that I am admitted send couple of personalized e-mails through faculty members and encourage to be in contact with them, I am pretty surprised with OSU's indifference to its potential grad students. I think it is fair to contact them and ask about your funding situation. 

39 minutes ago, ikebana said:

I was among those who could not receive some e-mails due to some errors in OSU e-mail system, and I have contacted to DGS few days ago whether I still have the same problem or not. She told me that I am waitlisted for the funding, and they did not share information on campus visit yet.

While all other schools that I am admitted send couple of personalized e-mails through faculty members and encourage to be in contact with them, I am pretty surprised with OSU's indifference to its potential grad students. I think it is fair to contact them and ask about your funding situation. 

that was my experience as well. I figured that they first need to sort out the funding before contacting them. I guess I am on the funding waitlist since  I have not recieved any communication. I guess I will check with them if I do not hear back today. 

9 hours ago, uchenyy said:

I feel like it would be pretty difficult to drop below a 3.7 GPA in a graduate program. In my experience as an MA student at a major R1 institution where MA and PhD students take the same courses, it is pretty difficult to get below an A- in a class. Not sure how things work at UCLA, though.

There are, obviously, exceptions and some professors do grade quite aggressively. 

I was still surprised by the threshold, though, because if you got mainly A- grades you could be below the threshold and lose funding (note it includes tuition remission). Even a 3.5 would be less aggressive in my opinion. 

19 minutes ago, captmarvel said:

I was still surprised by the threshold, though, because if you got mainly A- grades you could be below the threshold and lose funding (note it includes tuition remission). Even a 3.5 would be less aggressive in my opinion. 

That's wild. I thought in most funding offers its contingent on like a 3.5 or a 3, (The offer i have says i need to maintain a 3.0), so either UCLA has massive grade inflation, or their students are just hella smart? 

9 minutes ago, Dwar said:

That's wild. I thought in most funding offers its contingent on like a 3.5 or a 3, (The offer i have says i need to maintain a 3.0), so either UCLA has massive grade inflation, or their students are just hella smart? 

Yeah, UCSD just says you have to remain in good standing, which is a 3.0. That 3.7 requirement is honestly a turn-off to me!

23 minutes ago, captmarvel said:

Yeah, UCSD just says you have to remain in good standing, which is a 3.0. That 3.7 requirement is honestly a turn-off to me!

Shouldn't they feel confident that the people they've admitted to their five year plus program are committed to doing their best without the threat of pulling their funding if they drop below an A- average?