2019-2020 Application Thread

Dwar

1 hour ago, PoliSci4FlyGuys said:

Late to the party but I just discovered this site - Don't know if it's making my stress better or worse. So far: 3a/1r/0w/6p

Not looking good for UChicago. Also wondering if anyone on IR track has been accepted.

Welcome to Hell

4jfr.gif

Edited by Romcomulus

For anyone who's waiting for BC, it seems that they send out their decisions one by one or something.

I got rejected by BC for PhD and offered admission for MA instead. (yes that posting on the result page is mine)

33 minutes ago, horololo said:

For anyone who's waiting for BC, it seems that they send out their decisions one by one or something.

I got rejected by BC for PhD and offered admission for MA instead. (yes that posting on the result page is mine)

They sent my rejection on Sunday. 

13 hours ago, uchenyy said:

I just had an excellent conversation with a POI at Minnesota. I have a really good feeling about this department. 

I'm currently at the University for another PhD program but am switching. I've taken four courses with the political science department here and I can tell you the professors seem very supportive. The students, likewise, support one another and seem generally more tight-knit and happy than I would expect from most PhD cohorts.

I'm by no means going to claim I'm an expert on political science programs generally. In fact, I applied only to Minnesota. But I can tell you that your good feeling is probably real.

30 minutes ago, milka49 said:

I'm currently at the University for another PhD program but am switching. I've taken four courses with the political science department here and I can tell you the professors seem very supportive. The students, likewise, support one another and seem generally more tight-knit and happy than I would expect from most PhD cohorts.

I'm by no means going to claim I'm an expert on political science programs generally. In fact, I applied only to Minnesota. But I can tell you that your good feeling is probably real.

This is very good to know. Thanks! I've received emails from several faculty members, and they've all been more than willing to chat. The department's placement record is also pretty strong (a combination of SLACS and research universities), so that's also pretty comforting. 

1 hour ago, uchenyy said:

This is very good to know. Thanks! I've received emails from several faculty members, and they've all been more than willing to chat. The department's placement record is also pretty strong (a combination of SLACS and research universities), so that's also pretty comforting. 

As someone who was also accepted at Minnesota and is talking to several POIs at the school this week, I would second this notion.  I've heard from alumni and at conferences that this department is unusually welcoming and supportive.  Will you be going to admitted students day??

26 minutes ago, Mr_Spock2018 said:

As someone who was also accepted at Minnesota and is talking to several POIs at the school this week, I would second this notion.  I've heard from alumni and at conferences that this department is unusually welcoming and supportive.  Will you be going to admitted students day??

I was told by one POI--before I even submitted my application, actually--that the department is very supportive and tightly-knit.  

And yes, I will be attending! You?

The financial package is also a nice touch. It seems like more than enough for Minneapolis, especially if one has a roommate. 

Edited by uchenyy

Hi, new poster here. I just discovered this site last week, and it's been helpful and stressful in equal measure. 

I was just wondering if it's normal to not hear back from the University of Michigan for this long? I noticed that in previous years decisions were out by now, and that their acceptances and rejections mostly go out on the same day. 

55 minutes ago, uchenyy said:

I was told by one POI--before I even submitted my application, actually--that the department is very supportive and tightly-knit.  

And yes, I will be attending! You?

The financial package is also a nice touch. It seems like more than enough for Minneapolis, especially if one has a roommate. 

It's not quite the same experience, but I wanted to give my two cents. I was an undergraduate at Minnesota in the political science department, and my experience was overall pretty positive, with professors who were highly passionate about their research and their teaching.

As for affordable housing, the prices on housing around campus have increased significantly in the last few years, but there's definitely some affordable housing, especially on West Bank and, if you don't mind the distance, Como and Marcy Holmes. 

It will be another silent day.

I guess professors (adcomms) have classes to teach in the first couple of days of weeks, and do not have time to meet and discuss applications. (Just guessing)

I still have not heard about 5 schools, which are supposed to send the results last week (based on last year's results survey). 

Waiting is killing me. 

Random question which has absolutely no bearing on myself: Is there an internal ranking to CHYMPS? Like are HYP better then the public's and Stanford? or at that point are they pretty much the same and its just personal preference/fit? 

Edited by Dwar

5 minutes ago, S-Kyo said:

It will be another silent day.

I guess professors (adcomms) have classes to teach in the first couple of days of weeks, and do not have time to meet and discuss applications. (Just guessing)

I still have not heard about 5 schools, which are supposed to send the results last week (based on last year's results survey). 

Waiting is killing me. 

Same. Still waiting to hear back from five schools and that doesn't stop me from checking this website and their application sites every day multiple times. 

1 minute ago, Dwar said:

Random question which has absolutely no bearing on myself: Is there an internal ranking to CHYMPS? Like are HYP better then the public's and Stanford? or at that point are they pretty much the same and its just personal preference/fit? 

It's subfield and region specific, and there are also subfield rankings. But generally I'd say H,S > P > MC > Y.