2019-2020 Application Thread

Dwar

2 minutes ago, billk said:

Claiming the Notre Dame acceptance and LSE interview. Could not have asked for a better birthday present :) Congratulations to everyone who's been admitted. And good luck to everyone waiting to hear back. Remember, everyone here has worked so hard and deserves to get into their dream program!

right on lots of cool stuff happening at both very exciting

So I guess, the week is over.

No more official letters from department until monday, but at least, POIs can still email us in case they admit us.

Should we wait news during weekends? 

2 hours ago, LetMeInPLS said:

Sorry for the late response but I got accepted to UC Riverside yesterday but i didn't post anything on the other page so idk if those are legit.  

Oh thank you for letting me know. Did they send you an email or was it a portal update. And what is your subfield?

4 hours ago, kaze_ng said:

Oh thank you for letting me know. Did they send you an email or was it a portal update. And what is your subfield?

Hi, I'm the one who posted wait-listed for UCR on the result page (Feb 2, there's a typo, I applied for Fall 2020, not Spring haha). I sent them an email asking about my status and was informed that I am on the waitlist so " hard to predict when you might hear the final decision." 

If I get off the list I probably would go there.So far, I have only one acceptance, one wait-listed ,and many rejections....

I am an international applicant and Theory subfield 
Good luck!

Edited by beerpooh

12 hours ago, beerpooh said:

Hi, I'm the one who posted wait-listed for UCR on the result page (Feb 2, there's a typo, I applied for Fall 2020, not Spring haha). I sent them an email asking about my status and was informed that I am on the waitlist so " hard to predict when you might hear the final decision." 

If I get off the list I probably would go there.So far, I have only one acceptance, one wait-listed ,and many rejections....

I am an international applicant and Theory subfield 
Good luck!

Hey thanks for letting me know! Since you emailed them, I guess they haven't sent out decisions yet (did they say anything about that in your email?). 

I have a random question. When I submitted my applications in the fall, I had paper proposals under review for presentation at MPSA and at a smaller conference. I'll be attending the smaller conference, but I don't think I can justify going to MPSA now, in light of my thesis writing and defense, travel to a visiting student day(s), etc. Plus, I'm no longer working on the paper that I would present on. 

Would it be wrong to not attend the conference? I don't want it to look as though I just submitted a proposal to make my application look good.

4 minutes ago, uchenyy said:

I have a random question. When I submitted my applications in the fall, I had paper proposals under review for presentation at MPSA and at a smaller conference. I'll be attending the smaller conference, but I don't think I can justify going to MPSA now, in light of my thesis writing and defense, travel to a visiting student day(s), etc. Plus, I'm no longer working on the paper that I would present on. 

Would it be wrong to not attend the conference? I don't want it to look as though I just submitted a proposal to make my application look good.

submit updated cv in additional materials section if you are concerned

11 minutes ago, e2e4 said:

submit updated cv in additional materials section if you are concerned

I've already been admitted, though. I've been told that a conference presentation on a CV won't make or break an application, so I'm not sure that the dept. in question will really care.

1 hour ago, kaze_ng said:

Hey thanks for letting me know! Since you emailed them, I guess they haven't sent out decisions yet (did they say anything about that in your email?). 

TBH, the email did not contain much information other than I am on the waitlist.... 
I guess they already sent out some admissions?  and seem to be waiting to hear back from those who are accepted. probably when more results coming out in following weeks, they will start to contact people who are on the list. 
If there's no update on your portal, you have the option to email them about your status : )

12 hours ago, uchenyy said:

I think as long as u explain it in CV or during an interviewed when asked, it is fine. Large conference like MPSA got lots of absence every year    There are always sudden changes on one’s schedule. 

Does anyone know when Georgetown usually releases decisions for MA programs? I applied before the priority scholarship deadline 12/15/19 to the MA in Educational Transformation and haven't heard anything back. When they first emailed me in December they said that they will conclude on decisions in April but i dont know still getting kind of worried since I applied so early and haven't heard anything back.

18 minutes ago, lexuwhit said:

Does anyone know when Georgetown usually releases decisions for MA programs? I applied before the priority scholarship deadline 12/15/19 to the MA in Educational Transformation and haven't heard anything back. When they first emailed me in December they said that they will conclude on decisions in April but i dont know still getting kind of worried since I applied so early and haven't heard anything back.

Hi lexuwhit. I think you might have better luck in a different forum. Posts here are exclusively for aspiring political science grad students.

Just now, PoliticalTheory13 said:

Is Uchicago going to send out their responses soon? Their website says that we'll hear in the first two weeks of March.

Q: When will I be notified of the decision about my application?

The Office of the Dean of Students emails all official admission decisions in the first two weeks in March. In some cases, the department may informally notify applicants of decisions earlier. Admitted PhD students are invited to campus for Political Science Day in the spring. In 2020, Political Science Day will be held on April 2.

16 minutes ago, PoliticalTheory13 said:

Is Uchicago going to send out their responses soon? Their website says that we'll hear in the first two weeks of March.

It seems in the past they've sent out acceptances in early Feb, and sent out rejections following their March schedule.