2019-2020 Application Thread

Dwar

7 minutes ago, SeriousDiver said:

Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 8.48.46 PM.png

Great, this means you are not fake, still though, it does NOT mean you can blame everyone for being fake just because they do not screenshot their emails to prove you something.

Edited by kemalgider

8 minutes ago, kemalgider said:

Great, this means you are not fake, still though it does NOT mean you can blame everyone for being fake just because they do not screenshot their emails to prove you something.

Not blaming "everyone" at all.  Though my initial post was a bit assertive, this website is full of individuals who wish to mislead prospective applicants. 

Edited by SeriousDiver

On 2/7/2020 at 2:43 PM, are-you-f'ing-serious said:

Claiming the UMich acceptance!!!!!! IR track, POI is MD.

I will definitely accept. Full funding for 5 years!

Hi there @are-you-f'ing-serious! I think your post is the only one in this forum claiming a UMich acceptance. Can you please share a bit more (whether there was an email to check applyweb, screenshot even)? My applyweb appears unchanged. 

8 minutes ago, kaze_ng said:

Anyone still waiting to hear back from Penn State? All the acceptances so far seem to be international applicants with international degrees, but not international with American degree or Americans. Maybe there will be another wave of admittance?

I'm still waiting for them. I doubt there will be another round, unfortunately. It seems that in the past they've sent out their acceptances and wait-lists in the beginning of Feb, and then sent out rejections to everyone else toward the end of the month.

I did email the grad assistant last Monday who said "The decisions are being made now so I think that you will hear in the near future". That leads me to believe that all decisions are made and they are simply waiting to send out rejections. 

For those still waiting on rejections/decisions from schools that have already seen accepted students, there a few important things to keep in mind throughout this process:

1) Some schools have priority deadlines for schools to submit nominations for university wide fellowships (that alleviate the burden of cost on the department). As a result, at some schools (I don't know for all schools where this is the case, but there are a few I know this is the case) leading to a small number of students to be accepted earlier then the rest of the group, hence the appearance of acceptances coming in "batches".

2) Remember admissions committees are composed to faculty from the department who make admissions decisions. In most cases, the admissions committee then forwards on decisions to the graduate school for an official decision. In some cases (public schools in seems in many cases), the process to release admissions decisions takes a while. Schools know that to recruit the best students, it is better to be early to tell students they are accepted. This is why many people will be accepted through an email from faculty and then receive an official acceptance around the same time rejections go out. 

All of this is to say don't stress too much if some students were accepted to somewhere that was your dream school, and don't be frustrated waiting for a rejection. In time, you will have an answer from all of the schools, so try not to read into everything too much to make these two months the least stressful possible. Further, remember most people on here only know what has been posted on the forum in the past. Be hesitant of their word (including mine, I can only speak to the experience of my current school and others I was accepted at)!