Favorite Author/Book Question

yeeboi

Can someone tell me whether or not I'll sound like the biggest dummy in the world during my interview if they pose this question and I say I don't read books? I probably read three novels a year outside of academic textbooks and articles, and if I'm gonna be honest, they're not always the most intellectual things on the planet. I'm really passionate about film and music, so I spend all of my time on that. I'm not ashamed of it and I wasn't planning on hiding this fact if they ask me about it, but I'm also struggling because I feel like I sound insanely immature if I say I don't read much outside of academia.

10 minutes ago, yeeboi said:

Can someone tell me whether or not I'll sound like the biggest dummy in the world during my interview if they pose this question and I say I don't read books? I probably read three novels a year outside of academic textbooks and articles, and if I'm gonna be honest, they're not always the most intellectual things on the planet. I'm really passionate about film and music, so I spend all of my time on that. I'm not ashamed of it and I wasn't planning on hiding this fact if they ask me about it, but I'm also struggling because I feel like I sound insanely immature if I say I don't read much outside of academia.

During orientation for my clinical program (I’m a first year) we went around and said our current read/last read as part of an icebreaker so I would think of a book to say if that’s asked. 

In short: yes, probably not a good look to say you don’t read. 

19 minutes ago, hopefulgrad2019 said:

During orientation for my clinical program (I’m a first year) we went around and said our current read/last read as part of an icebreaker so I would think of a book to say if that’s asked. 

In short: yes, probably not a good look to say you don’t read. 

Okay, thanks for the honesty! I definitely have some solid ones to mention if they ask, but I guess I was just worried if I tell them I'm not an avid reader, especially not enough to have a favorite author.

I’d make sure whatever you say is the truth. Better to say you don’t enjoy reading for fun than lying and somehow they catch you. They know we don’t have much time to read for fun and some people don’t at all. It doesn’t mean they don’t keep up with their academic reading. I really wouldn’t lie or fudge this. I can see it going very off the rails. I’d reply with something like how you prefer the immersive experience of films or something. 

9 hours ago, Psychtime said:

I’d make sure whatever you say is the truth. Better to say you don’t enjoy reading for fun than lying and somehow they catch you. They know we don’t have much time to read for fun and some people don’t at all. It doesn’t mean they don’t keep up with their academic reading. I really wouldn’t lie or fudge this. I can see it going very off the rails. I’d reply with something like how you prefer the immersive experience of films or something. 

Agreed! Represent who you truly are, don't be afraid to be authentic. If you're worried, you can always just be mindful of how you phrase things. For example, saying that you have other hobbies you prefer to prioritize and don't feel relaxed reading for pleasure is different than saying "I don't read much". They are both completely true, the wrapping is just nicer :). 

I have to say that I've never heard this sort of question on an interview.  I think most graduate students/professors understand that in our scant free time many of us take a break from heavy intellectual lifting.

The closest I have gotten to this question is what I like to do in my free time. I'd suggest thinking of a particularly unique and interesting hobby you have and lining that up as your answer!

I agree that it’s better not to lie. I was asked about my favourite movie, but I am not a movie person and legitimately don’t have a favourite. I was warned about the question ahead of time, but didn’t have an answer. I joked that I had prepared for that question but couldn’t come up with anything, we laughed, and I asked him his favourite movie instead.

21 minutes ago, Modulus said:

I have to say that I've never heard this sort of question on an interview.  I think most graduate students/professors understand that in our scant free time many of us take a break from heavy intellectual lifting.

The closest I have gotten to this question is what I like to do in my free time. I'd suggest thinking of a particularly unique and interesting hobby you have and lining that up as your answer!

I received this question during an interview, many maany moons ago, for a program in MFT. They asked about a recent book outside of psychology, instead of the favorite one.

The worst part about it is that I was being honest and told them I recently read Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide and both interviewers looked at me like I had two heads. They didn't know who he was or why I found it a good read and slightly funny. It was bizarre to say the least.

I don't regret being honest. I think it's the best policy. Some may not get it (see example above) - it's ok, you should be in a place where they get it/you.

On 1/27/2020 at 3:13 PM, yeeboi said:

Can someone tell me whether or not I'll sound like the biggest dummy in the world during my interview if they pose this question and I say I don't read books? 

I would be prepared to discuss my favorite works in terms of areas and fields academic interest, and/or the writers who helped me develop my understanding of vital concepts and/or improve as a writer.

I would also be prepared to discuss provisionally which books are on the short list of "best/must reads" at the introductory, intermediate, and advanced levels.

Finally, I would be ready for some parry and thrust. "You say Book A, but what did you think of Book Z?"

Do academics take a break from "heavy intellectual lifting"? Maybe. I would recommend to aspiring graduate students, regardless of discipline, that one be very careful on how one phrases such breaks.

I don't read books in my free time AT ALL. Not one. I got asked this question by a PI on one of my recent visits, and I told him honestly what I actually read for fun: analytical articles about the NFL! I genuinely don't think anybody cares whether or not you read (or what you like to read). Just be authentic! 

Edited by imemine

• 5 months later...

Just rehashing what many people have already said but I think it might be alright to say something like "I'm not very big on books but I have been enjoying/recently enjoyed XYZ film or music." Theoretically this would redirect the conversation to something you can talk to that you're also knowledgable and passionate about. Just because you're an academic doesn't mean you have to spend every waking moment doing activities related to it. We already read enough articles as is

Not sure why this post was grave-dug (so I am more replying for any future folks applying the coming cycle), but I can say from going on 8 interviews when I applied that I got asked this question zero times. I know my evidence is anecdotal, but I don't think there is a need to be concerned about it. People may ask what you do for hobbies/fun, and being honest is great (e.g., I told them I am a huge movie buff, so at the time I had MoviePass [RIP] and now I have AMC a-list so I can go to as many movies I want for a very reasonable fee). 

• 2 weeks later...

I told people that I liked to read urban fantasy as a way of relaxing. I would usually laugh a little and be like "I know this isn't a super intellectual things but..." So, if you read three books a year that aren't super intellectual, still go with one of them or whatever that genre is that you do like. Just spin it as your way of relaxing or having stress relief academic/non-academic balance.

• 1 year later...
On 1/29/2020 at 11:53 AM, SoundofSilence said:

I received this question during an interview, many maany moons ago, for a program in MFT. They asked about a recent book outside of psychology, instead of the favorite one.

The worst part about it is that I was being honest and told them I recently read Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide and both interviewers looked at me like I had two heads. They didn't know who he was or why I found it a good read and slightly funny. It was bizarre to say the least.

I don't regret being honest. I think it's the best policy. Some may not get it (see example above) - it's ok, you should be in a place where they get it/you.

Ooof. Good taste on your part. Bad look for the interviewers  ?

HGTTG is widely considered a classic work of fiction. Not knowing it is fine; reacting the way they did is disconcerting. Well, I say that, but then there seems to be a considerable quantity of research-focused clinical psychologists whose interpersonal skills are wanting.