Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

This is a bit random but I've been killing some time setting up an academic Twitter. Is it weird to add someone who I hope would be a potential POI? I don't want to cross any boundaries and the goal behind adding them is just that I love their content in general and often just search them anyways. My gut feeling is just to wait until after application season is over but I'd love your perspective. 

Anyone else having a hard time focusing on work/school/interview prep because of the inauguration? Or, is that just me ? 

Feeling very grateful for the overall supportive nature of this forum. Sending positive energy and wishes of acceptance to everyone here. It's been a grueling process for sure, but I am thankful I am not alone in this boat ❤️ 

Sorry for the side note!

3 minutes ago, DigitalBuddha said:

This is a bit random but I've been killing some time setting up an academic Twitter. Is it weird to add someone who I hope would be a potential POI? I don't want to cross any boundaries and the goal behind adding them is just that I love their content in general and often just search them anyways. My gut feeling is just to wait until after application season is over but I'd love your perspective. 

I actually asked this on Academic Twitter (lol) and the consensus was it's not weird at all!

23 minutes ago, justacigar said:

I actually asked this on Academic Twitter (lol) and the consensus was it's not weird at all!

Seeing as I recently made an academic twitter...... does anyone want to become mutuals? Dm me for my @ 

Hi all, just wanted to throw out some advice that my neuropsychologist coworkers gave me. My one coworker is a very well renown neuropsychologist and she said that at least half the RA's in her lab don't get admitted to clinic psych programs the first round (after working with her for a few years and having pubs). Another neuropsych I work with said that she had to apply twice herself and then she got into Fordham her second round. Depending on your CV, you should be applying to 15+ schools  to hedge your bets. She sometimes even recommends 20 or more depending on qualifications. She told me to apply to about 13 and I have a undergrad in neuroscience/psychology with a GPA of 3.7, I have a master's in neuroscience and psychology (joint), I have four publications, two conference presentations and now five years of clinical and academic experience (me actually performing neuropsych evaluations daily). I applied to 11 schools and have gotten two invites. They continually tell me that not getting an invite or getting in, has less to do with me as an applicant, but likely many other scenarios that are unknown. Please don't give up and believe in yourselves! If you don't get in this round, find ways to bulk up your CV and show that you are taking steps to improve areas for the next round. So many people have to apply multiple times. You all are wonderful and kind and keep in mind that we are applying in a pandemic as well! Sending lots of love to everyone during this insanely stressful time!

8 minutes ago, justacigar said:

I'll just post my twitter here for everyone: @jess_froe 

I want to be friends with you all! 

Just followed! ❤️

13 minutes ago, clincpsych1010 said:

Hi all, just wanted to throw out some advice that my neuropsychologist coworkers gave me. My one coworker is a very well renown neuropsychologist and she said that at least half the RA's in her lab don't get admitted to clinic psych programs the first round (after working with her for a few years and having pubs). Another neuropsych I work with said that she had to apply twice herself and then she got into Fordham her second round. Depending on your CV, you should be applying to 15+ schools  to hedge your bets. She sometimes even recommends 20 or more depending on qualifications. She told me to apply to about 13 and I have a undergrad in neuroscience/psychology with a GPA of 3.7, I have a master's in neuroscience and psychology (joint), I have four publications, two conference presentations and now five years of clinical and academic experience (me actually performing neuropsych evaluations daily). I applied to 11 schools and have gotten two invites. They continually tell me that not getting an invite or getting in, has less to do with me as an applicant, but likely many other scenarios that are unknown. Please don't give up and believe in yourselves! If you don't get in this round, find ways to bulk up your CV and show that you are taking steps to improve areas for the next round. So many people have to apply multiple times. You all are wonderful and kind and keep in mind that we are applying in a pandemic as well! Sending lots of love to everyone during this insanely stressful time!

Thank you so much for sharing this! I too have years of postgraduate experience in clinical research, many publications and a masters. I’m really shocked by this cycle. I applied to all east coast schools and most haven’t offered interviews yet but as of yesterday, I didn’t get an interview at Fordham.  I am very discouraged. But my mentor also said similar things that you wrote. In addition, she said that funding at a lot of schools this year has been cut and that can also effect outcomes even if faculty originally thought they could take a student this year. Of course all these things don’t change our feelings after putting our hearts and souls into this process but at least we can see we are not alone!! Thanks again for sharing! 

1 minute ago, Psych1023 said:

Thank you so much for sharing this! I too have years of postgraduate experience in clinical research, many publications and a masters. I’m really shocked by this cycle. I applied to all east coast schools and most haven’t offered interviews yet but as of yesterday, I didn’t get an interview at Fordham.  I am very discouraged. But my mentor also said similar things that you wrote. In addition, she said that funding at a lot of schools this year has been cut and that can also effect outcomes even if faculty originally thought they could take a student this year. Of course all these things don’t change our feelings after putting our hearts and souls into this process but at least we can see we are not alone!! Thanks again for sharing! 

I'm so sorry to hear that. It absolutely doesn't change the disappointment and it's impossible not to take it personally (at least for me lol), but so helpful to know we aren't alone!

2 minutes ago, clincpsych1010 said:

I'm so sorry to hear that. It absolutely doesn't change the disappointment and it's impossible not to take it personally (at least for me lol), but so helpful to know we aren't alone!

Let's start our own grad school lol

1 hour ago, DigitalBuddha said:

I follow all of my POIs on twitter (and then some). Some have followed me back, funnily enough.  It has been a nice way to get insight into their personalities or politics without having to ask. I don't think that they'd think much of it. If anything, it shows more interest. I'd just make sure to be careful about what you tweet and like on the platform. 

Hi everyone. Hope everyone is hanging in there! Based on the results page, it looks like UCLA has sent out interview invites this morning? Don't know if all invites have been extended...but staying hopeful and crossing my fingers for good news. Sending everyone tons of positive energy during these times. Best of luck to everyone! 

10 minutes ago, EileanDonan said:

A lot of this begs the real question: what is separating those who are likely to be accepted from the rest? And is there anything the rest of us can do to place ourselves in that position?

I wonder the same. It's frustrating to not know where to improve.. I have a master's, 3 years of clinical and research experience, publications etc. and I know of people who have gotten into programs right out of undergrad, with no pubs. I know a lot of it is about fit, as well as luck, but it's defeating to not know what areas of my application to improve on when it seems like it is a crapshoot either way.

9 minutes ago, JELS said:

Hi everyone. Hope everyone is hanging in there! Based on the results page, it looks like UCLA has sent out interview invites this morning? Don't know if all invites have been extended...but staying hopeful and crossing my fingers for good news. Sending everyone tons of positive energy during these times. Best of luck to everyone! 

If anyone has any insight into this... would love to know. Congrats to those with invites!

3 minutes ago, clinpsychapps said:

If anyone has any insight into this... would love to know. Congrats to those with invites!

Looks like from past years, all the invitations to interview via email are gone out at the same time... I don't have a good feeling about it ?. Already preparing for the rejection letter so I don't get my hopes up.

3 minutes ago, clinpsychapps said:

Yes! Congrats to those who received an invite! I'm also really curious to know get some info from those who are willing to share. I ended up emailing the admissions office yesterday re: my application status/when they might expect to send out invites. No response yet, but will share if I hear back. 

Just now, Jdphdpls said:

Looks like from past years, all the invitations to interview via email are gone out at the same time... I don't have a good feeling about it ?. Already preparing for the rejection letter so I don't get my hopes up.

Same ? still holding onto a little bit of hope but was fairly certain I'm out 

Just now, Jdphdpls said:

That's also my fear, that everyone received invites at the same time... ? I totally understand - I'm allowing myself to stay hopeful for at least the rest of the day, hehe. I'm also hoping that those who posted on the results page re: their interview invites aren't scammers.