Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

On 3/4/2021 at 11:58 AM, CoffeeAndDogs said:

It sucks and it's a crappy feeling to have to deal with. Being evaluated at what feels like a very impersonal and surface level is awful and a little ironic. This is one of the most competitive fields and people are often victims of the numbers game. GPA, GRE, short blurbs about ourselves - it's all a microscopic piece of information about ourselves that determines so. much. Psychology is the field full of experts in assessments, evaluations, and measurement of ability and achievement. Yet they are basically forced into partaking in a process that does none of this expertise justice. I'm sure it KILLS the faculty in having to make such difficult decisions regarding an applicant just because of academic politics in making programs, departments, schools, etc. look good. I honestly think this is more of a reflection of the system and how broken and difficult it is to manage rather than how good of a student/clinician we are and would be. 

That's just my two cents. You're obviously dedicated and I'm sure you CRUSHED IT in this horrific application cycle. 

I 1000% agree with this. It took me 4 years of undergrad, 3 years of post-bac research coordinator work, almost 2 years of a Master's to understand just how exclusive and elitist (not to mention racist) this system really is. I know faculty are in a tough spot, but the nature of academia and grants makes it nearly impossible to get even close to joining the system. And faculty will tell you the competition only gets harder in academia to get funding and tenure, mostly because there are more and more people getting PhDs, i.e., supply is less than demand. 

I don't know what the solution is to the exclusivity, but it seems like something has to give. And I encourage people who are doctoral students, postdocs, early career psychologists, etc. to push for changes in the system to make it more equitable and accessible to the plethora of brilliant applicants that get left behind, discouraged, and leave the field. 

57 minutes ago, gradstudentMACP95 said:

Has anyone else been rejected from Palo Alto's PsyD program, but been put on the wait list for an interview for their PhD program?

I was today. I said yes because I’m still waiting to hear back from a couple places I’ve interviewed, but I’m not putting too much faith in it. I’m not sure how they can interview me since I’m imagining that different labs are going to have very different research areas and they might not be aligned to my research interests?

2 hours ago, thatoneguy272 said:

I was today. I said yes because I’m still waiting to hear back from a couple places I’ve interviewed, but I’m not putting too much faith in it. I’m not sure how they can interview me since I’m imagining that different labs are going to have very different research areas and they might not be aligned to my research interests?

I said yes too. Right I’m a bit confused about why we were referred to a PhD program especially speaking for myself most of my experience and interests are clinically oriented....but apparently the PhD program is practitioner-scholar so maybe the programs are similar??? I have no idea. Confused. Lol. 

Hey everyone, I was hoping to find out any information about Fairleigh Dickinson's Clinical Psych PhD Program and Marywood's PsyD program, in terms of pros/cons, things you liked/didn't like or any other helpful info. I haven't really seen anything about either program on here and would appreciate any help, thank you!

7 hours ago, gradstudentMACP95 said:

I said yes too. Right I’m a bit confused about why we were referred to a PhD program especially speaking for myself most of my experience and interests are clinically oriented....but apparently the PhD program is practitioner-scholar so maybe the programs are similar??? I have no idea. Confused. Lol. 

Yes we’re on the same page. Let me know if you end up going to an interview (same goes for anyone else reading this). At this point I’m more curious than anything else. 

My sense is that because their PsyD program is affiliated with Stanford, it’s vastly more popular than the PhD program, and they use candidates from the safety program to funnel over to the PhD program. But I’m just making that up haha

2 hours ago, PsychedToBeHere1 said:

Hey everyone, I was hoping to find out any information about Fairleigh Dickinson's Clinical Psych PhD Program and Marywood's PsyD program, in terms of pros/cons, things you liked/didn't like or any other helpful info. I haven't really seen anything about either program on here and would appreciate any help, thank you!

Hey! So I interviewed with FDU and I was really impressed by the program and how nice the faculty and current students were! The biggest issue that I had was funding. They only offer a $5K tuition reimbursement and I’m looking to go somewhere where I’d be fully funded. Most/all of their current students take out loans and/or work part time while in the program and that’s not feasible for me. Knowing myself, I would not be able to handle working while in a clinical PhD program and I don’t particularly want to accrue $200-250K in loans (that’s roughly how much I personally would need to take out to pay for tuition, fees, books, living expenses, etc.). I am deeply saddened by the financial aspect of this program because I absolutely loved it when I interviewed!!

2 hours ago, thatoneguy272 said:

Yes we’re on the same page. Let me know if you end up going to an interview (same goes for anyone else reading this). At this point I’m more curious than anything else. 

My sense is that because their PsyD program is affiliated with Stanford, it’s vastly more popular than the PhD program, and they use candidates from the safety program to funnel over to the PhD program. But I’m just making that up haha

Will do! Crossing fingers for the both of us 

6 hours ago, psych2021app said:

Anyone else wondering what the heck is going on at Fairleigh Dickinson? It seems like they are trickling out a couple of acceptances each week. Is this normal? Losing my mind over here, interviewed the morning of 2/12!

My best guess would be that they sent out their first round of acceptances and as people accept or decline they reach out to their next round and so on and so forth (I suppose it is a version of a waitlist). However, this is only speculation based on what I have seen some other schools do. I would recommend contacting the psychology admissions director or the DCT to enquire about your status or at least when you can expect to hear back! 

Yo - programs aren't supposed to pressure applicants to make a decision before April 15th, so we shouldn't be pressuring people to make decisions, either. I keep seeing a lot of posts in the results section telling people to hurry up and accept/decline which isn't cool. Of course I'd love to have closure, but I would never pressure another applicant to make a decision. Hopefully it's no one from these threads but just in case, I wanted to reiterate this point. 

4 minutes ago, justacigar said:

Yo - programs aren't supposed to pressure applicants to make a decision before April 15th, so we shouldn't be pressuring people to make decisions, either. I keep seeing a lot of posts in the results section telling people to hurry up and accept/decline which isn't cool. Of course I'd love to have closure, but I would never pressure another applicant to make a decision. Hopefully it's no one from these threads but just in case, I wanted to reiterate this point. 

This 10000%. I was thinking that I can’t be the only one who thinks that it’s incredibly rude to tell people to accept or decline their offer ASAP because they’re on a waiting list. I understand that some schools are top choices and it’s frustrating when you’re placed on a waitlist, but pressuring people to make decisions helps no one. Be kind. 

Edited by PsychApplicant2

34 minutes ago, justacigar said:

I agree. I am beyond stressed being on the waitlist for my top choice as well, and I would love for people to make decisions, but maybe they are waiting on other schools, are waitlisted themselves by their top choice etc., or who the heck knows what else, so nothing we can do but wait. That being said, it would be cool if people would decline as soon as they know they aren't going 100% but the truth is everyone is waiting on other programs and people as well, so not cool to pressure anyone into declining or accepting. It's not like people are holding on to offers to torture those on the waitlist.

Edited by Biopsychosocialyzing

40 minutes ago, justacigar said:

I saw someone write something along the lines of "This is my ONLY option! Please decline!" and while I understand people's anxieties it just adds another level of competitiveness / spite that is unnecessary. People should realize that other applicants do not owe them anything just because it is their top or only choice and trying to guilt others into making a decision is not going to get them off the waitlist faster. It definitely is torturous to have to wait but this process technically does have an end-date, and it will be over before we know it. 

Is anyone familiar with the psychology department at the University of Nevada- Reno? When I interviewed there for the clinical psych PhD the DCT let it slip that their department was under "temporary administrative governance." The faculty kind of brushed past it and assured us that it wouldn't affect us as students, but didn't elaborate on what it meant besides they're hiring several new faculty in the near future. I'm just nervous because the interview day felt very last minute and disorganized. I'm curious about whether it was disorganized because of the pandemic (which is totally fair), or if there's a bigger issue affecting the department. If anyone has any insight it would be very helpful! 

Did anyone else interview for Denver University's PsyD program? I saw someone on the results page they felt bummed out about tuition and a lack of grad housing, and that they got weird vibes about the faculty panel? 

That wasn't my experience, but as we wait for decisions, I would be curious to know what people thought about the interview day and the program in general. 

Here's my two cents: I love the program, the pedagogy, and Colorado. The price is obviously steep, and it is unclear to me how many admitted students receive aid directly from the University versus taking out loans. While their match rates and EPPP passing rates are impressive, they seem somewhat artificial. For example, if you do not get at least a B you need to retake the class and there are many internship sites in the area that partner with Denver that will accept students, so I am not totally clear if it's the caliber of the students or the design of the bureaucracy that contributes to these passing / match rates. 

10 hours ago, aaah said:

Is anyone familiar with the psychology department at the University of Nevada- Reno? When I interviewed there for the clinical psych PhD the DCT let it slip that their department was under "temporary administrative governance." The faculty kind of brushed past it and assured us that it wouldn't affect us as students, but didn't elaborate on what it meant besides they're hiring several new faculty in the near future. I'm just nervous because the interview day felt very last minute and disorganized. I'm curious about whether it was disorganized because of the pandemic (which is totally fair), or if there's a bigger issue affecting the department. If anyone has any insight it would be very helpful! 

I would prefer to stay anonymous about all of this, but I would strongly advise against that program. If it is your only choice, then take it. But I have never experienced such toxicity before. I have first hand experience and I decided I would never apply to that program for very valid reasons. 

1 minute ago, sirskipsalot said:

Hope you've heard something since this message! I sent a "thanks for the opportunity to interview" email, and was politely told that I was on the waitlist. Fingers crossed! 

My PI emailed to let me know I was waitlisted, but I removed myself from waitlists recently. Thank you and fingers crossed for you :)

It’s been over a month since I interviewed with a program. I sent a follow up thank you email and got a nice response back. Since then, it’s been complete radio silence. I waited a few weeks before politely emailing both the graduate coordinator and the program lead expressing continued interest and asking for an update on the timeline for hearing back. Still no word! I’m assuming rejected but the not knowing is driving me crazy. Just reject me or let me know I’m waitlisted or *something*

Edited by shouldhavebeenagoatfarmer

A bunch of people have given up their acceptances to my PI and yet I still haven't been reached out to. I know I'm a terrible interviewer but its incredibly sad that I'm at the bottom of the list. I can't believe I got a ton of interviews only to not get accepted anywhere. I'm feeling for everyone in the same boat right now.

1 hour ago, NotYourMothersGrad said:

A bunch of people have given up their acceptances to my PI and yet I still haven't been reached out to. I know I'm a terrible interviewer but its incredibly sad that I'm at the bottom of the list. I can't believe I got a ton of interviews only to not get accepted anywhere. I'm feeling for everyone in the same boat right now.

Have you been able to get constructive feedback about how to improve your interviewing skills? That is a very tangible thing you could work on if you need to reapply. I know feedback from faculty has been invaluable for me during the application process. 

4 minutes ago, justacigar said:

Have you been able to get constructive feedback about how to improve your interviewing skills? That is a very tangible thing you could work on if you need to reapply. I know feedback from faculty has been invaluable for me during the application process. 

Thanks for the advice, I will reach out once I recieve official rejections. I thought all of my interviews went fairly well but compared to the other amazing applicants I met on interview days, just not well enough I guess. I've tried not to be self defeating for weeks now but the bad feelings are starting to implode.