Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

I never could have imagined how soul sucking this process is, especially when it's in the middle of a pandemic. Having to put your life on hold and create even more unknowns regarding the future is exhausting! I'm proud of those that got in and I feel for those who didn't. For those of us that are still in limbo, we'll get our answers soon. I'm rooting for everyone out there! ✌️

GSPP - Denver PsyD RESULTS??

Received email from Julie S. this morning (03/15) saying admission decisions would be released by the end of this week. Saw that a few students have received acceptance mails/calls. But saw another user post that Julie S had mailed them that all acceptances would be sent out by 15th March! 

Wondering if no news by now is a rejection?

On 3/13/2021 at 12:04 AM, leery617 said:

Looking for some advice here. I was just notified by my PI at my top choice that she was unable to extend an offer this year. I knew this was a possibility since she told me she didn't have priority to make a 1st round offer during interview day. However, the email from the DCT post-interview said to be patient as "there is a reasonable chance we will be able to make you an offer" and to contact them first if I'm considering other programs. Needless to say I'm very disappointed and losing hope as I've been waitlisted at the other 2 programs I interviewed at this cycle.

Here's where I'm looking for some advice... This is not my first time applying and I don't know if I can handle yet another cycle. I've gotten an acceptance to a masters program that is research focused with a great PI and research fit. I've also received a full-time research assistant position with decent pay and relevant research experience for my research interests. Do I take the master's program or work another year and gain more research experience? I'm 100% sure PhD is what I want as I want to pursue a career in academia/research.

I already have a decent amount of research and clinical experience. After graduating, I worked as an RA - I have conference presentations and have a 1st author paper under review. I currently work as a psychometrist but will be leaving to take the full-time research position soon.

I know research experience is key but I feel as if I have a decent amount. So my question is, are my qualifications only good enough for a master's program? In other words, will adding another research job help my CV that much more? 

Thanks all in advance and if you're in a similar boat as me (questioning everything about your qualifications and career), you are not alone.

Hi there! ? I can completely understand and relate to where you are coming from! If I have any advice to give from my experience, it would be to continue working for another year, building up your CV and experience that much more, and then preparing to apply again for another cycle! This was my 3rd application cycle (the previous two years I received all rejections), but this year I also applied to a Master's program as a backup, just in case I didn't get into one of the PhD programs I applied to. I got accepted into the master's program with a full-time research assistant position, and I really liked the school and the research/PI... but I also knew I would be settling a bit because my goal is to ultimately go on the PhD track. However, to my surprise, shortly after receiving my master's program acceptance, I also got waitlisted for two of the PhD programs (after interviews in February)... (I felt mixed emotions about being waitlisted... for a while, I was just disappointed and frustrated, but eventually I found peace with it, because it was just a waiting game at that point)... But now, several weeks later (about a month!), I just received a call from the PI at my top-choice PhD program -- and they extended an offer of admission to me with a full tuition scholarship, teaching assistantship, doctoral summer fellowship, and a stipend! (Turns out the delay in acceptance was due to waiting for funding approval!) 

I also had a great deal of involved research experience (3.5 years) in various labs; two 1st author papers, eight conference presentations, and only minimal lay counseling/clinical experience (~2 years). 

I'll admit that going through a third cycle was tough... I really hunkered down and focused pretty much solely on applications from August-December whenever I got home from work... And then it especially got tough when it got to the waiting period (over the past few months!)... And of course, receiving more rejection letters was certainly not fun ?, but honestly, I felt more prepared this time around and like I had stronger personal statements/better application materials all around -- plus, I was able to use my persistence and perseverance (in applying again and again despite rejections) as evidence of my passion for pursuing the PhD and for my ability to not give up even when it gets tough! ❤️) This cycle was the first time I got interviews, waitlists, and acceptances -- I'd say it's great you've already gotten a couple interviews and an acceptance (even if to a Masters program) on what I presume to be your second application cycle! So, my advice would be to not give up if you know this is what you really want! One thing that kept me going was how one of my favorite professors from undergrad told me that it took him a few cycles to get in to his program -- yet he was one of the best professors I ever could have asked for!! - and so I used that as my motivation, and I'm so thankful I did!! I hope this helps -- try to listen to your heart and whatever gut feeling you have! If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to answer them!! You're definitely not alone!! Don't lose hope! :)

22 hours ago, shouldhavebeenagoatfarmer said:

One more month to go ? I’m convinced I will find out at 11:59 pm on April 15th that I have been rejected. 

I feel this on so many levels! I only have one I'm waiting to hear that I was waitlisted for. Sending good vibes!

8 minutes ago, PsychMomOf2 said:

I feel this on so many levels! I only have one I'm waiting to hear that I was waitlisted for. Sending good vibes!

Sending good vibes to you too! It’s been complete radio silence from the one I’m waiting to hear from. Makes me feel like I hallucinated interviewing with them. If I didn’t have email proof from the department and from professors, I would chock it up to an extremely vivid stress dream. 

On 3/12/2021 at 9:04 PM, leery617 said:

Looking for some advice here. I was just notified by my PI at my top choice that she was unable to extend an offer this year. I knew this was a possibility since she told me she didn't have priority to make a 1st round offer during interview day. However, the email from the DCT post-interview said to be patient as "there is a reasonable chance we will be able to make you an offer" and to contact them first if I'm considering other programs. Needless to say I'm very disappointed and losing hope as I've been waitlisted at the other 2 programs I interviewed at this cycle.

Here's where I'm looking for some advice... This is not my first time applying and I don't know if I can handle yet another cycle. I've gotten an acceptance to a masters program that is research focused with a great PI and research fit. I've also received a full-time research assistant position with decent pay and relevant research experience for my research interests. Do I take the master's program or work another year and gain more research experience? I'm 100% sure PhD is what I want as I want to pursue a career in academia/research.

I already have a decent amount of research and clinical experience. After graduating, I worked as an RA - I have conference presentations and have a 1st author paper under review. I currently work as a psychometrist but will be leaving to take the full-time research position soon.

I know research experience is key but I feel as if I have a decent amount. So my question is, are my qualifications only good enough for a master's program? In other words, will adding another research job help my CV that much more? 

Thanks all in advance and if you're in a similar boat as me (questioning everything about your qualifications and career), you are not alone.

First, applying to programs every cycle is draining for us. I was rejected and this is my 4th cycle applying for PhDs and I've only gotten into MA programs. I've been told that it's luck location (luck with the right PI accepting applications and being aware that more popular programs receive more applications, and both of  are outside of our control so it's not that there is something wrong with us rather it's how the cards were dealt.

From my perspective, adding an MA to your CV will definitely boost your qualifications if you have the research and/or clinical experiences. I am in a similar boat and am accepting that I need to do an MA, which in the long-run will allow me to network and connect with researchers in a school that I'm interested in. Adding another research job may not be as valuable as having a thesis and MA degree as your CV shows you're great at research as a job, and now the MA could show that you can succeed in a rigorous research program (i.e. showing your versatility). 

Lastly, for me I have to remind myself that there is no race to my end goal. Because now I'm entering my late 20s and because I don't have a PhD I have to remind myself that I am not falling behind, not stupid, or not successful. Overall, I need to stop gaslighting myself into something that I "should" be doing or have. In fact, I tell myself that my winding journey will make my research more interesting one day. 

On 3/13/2021 at 12:04 AM, leery617 said:

43 minutes ago, ksalazar95 said:

First, applying to programs every cycle is draining for us. I was rejected and this is my 4th cycle applying for PhDs and I've only gotten into MA programs. I've been told that it's luck location (luck with the right PI accepting applications and being aware that more popular programs receive more applications, and both of  are outside of our control so it's not that there is something wrong with us rather it's how the cards were dealt.

From my perspective, adding an MA to your CV will definitely boost your qualifications if you have the research and/or clinical experiences. I am in a similar boat and am accepting that I need to do an MA, which in the long-run will allow me to network and connect with researchers in a school that I'm interested in. Adding another research job may not be as valuable as having a thesis and MA degree as your CV shows you're great at research as a job, and now the MA could show that you can succeed in a rigorous research program (i.e. showing your versatility). 

This. Application season [frankly application year(s)] is incredibly draining and causes so much self doubt. I tend to be a pretty optimistic and fairly confident person, but doctoral applications called that all into question. I know the original poster's question is more nuanced to their situation, but I wanted to add my two cents. I see quite a few posts encouraging applicants to pursue more research opportunities rather than MA/MS programs when looking to become a more competitive applicant. And this can be great advice! Research opportunities (especially when paid!) are great and provide wonderful insight into your own research interests as well as how to conduct empirically-sound studies. 

However, I would not outright discount MA/MS programs. Of course, cost of tuition and living need to be taken into account (even in a funded Masters), but I found that doing an M.A. helped me immensely when it came to my second application season. I told my professors from the get-go that my end goal was a clinical PhD program, and together we created a game plan. With their guidance, I developed and spear-headed multiple projects, many of which led to publications and presentations (which my CV had been sorely lacking). Additionally, my M.A. GPA showed that I could handle graduate work, and the mandatory internship helped boost my clinical experience as well. I went from being soundly rejected the first application season to have 6 acceptances this season.

Am I saying that an M.A. will guarantee you access to a PhD? Not at all. Additionally, if a MA/MS will put you in debt, I would ask you to seriously think about how that debt will affect your future before deciding anything. There are other ways to gain valuable research/clinical experience.  However, I know for a fact that my M.A. helped me become more competitive for this season, and it taught me a lot of valuable lessons!

TLDR: Either a research position or MA/MS is a good option as long as you consider how it will affect you, your goals, and your future. Worked for me, but it is not everyone's cup of tea!

Edited by forensicsfan

The DCT at Virginia Tech let me know that some first offers have been extended and "because of the new budget, we must now wait on replies from those before making further decisions." I think this means either my POI extended an offer to someone else or he no longer gets a guaranteed spot for a grad student. Ah, going nuts, if either of the other applicants who interviewed with JR are on here could you please message me!

On 3/13/2021 at 8:47 AM, psychedfuture said:

Has anyone heard any updates from UNCG? Feel free to PM me if you don’t want to post it.

Thanks!

Hi! Yes I received an offer from UNCG and accepted. I know they are still working with me on additional funding (scholarships and their next gen scholar program) so I don't know if funding for assistantships is still up in the air or has already been finalized?

3 minutes ago, lileruneal said:

Hi! Yes I received an offer from UNCG and accepted. I know they are still working with me on additional funding (scholarships and their next gen scholar program) so I don't know if funding for assistantships is still up in the air or has already been finalized?

Congratulations!!! That’s amazing! Would you mind PMing me your POI? Just want to know if I should keep my hopes up.

On 3/15/2021 at 7:00 PM, thatoneguy272 said:

Ok that’s good to know. Like you, I haven’t received any news good or bad, and I’ll post back here in case I find anything out! Pls do the same :) 

My guess would be there’s a second tier of acceptances that go out as students do not accept their offers. Just a hunch though. 

Hey! I got a call from my individual interviewer that I was accepted so I think my 3/15 info was not correct. They are still extending acceptances, so don't loose hope if you haven't heard anything yet! :)

3 hours ago, forensicsfan said:

This. Application season [frankly application year(s)] is incredibly draining and causes so much self doubt. I tend to be a pretty optimistic and fairly confident person, but doctoral applications called that all into question. I know the original poster's question is more nuanced to their situation, but I wanted to add my two cents. I see quite a few posts encouraging applicants to pursue more research opportunities rather than MA/MS programs when looking to become a more competitive applicant. And this can be great advice! Research opportunities (especially when paid!) are great and provide wonderful insight into your own research interests as well as how to conduct empirically-sound studies. 

However, I would not outright discount MA/MS programs. Of course, cost of tuition and living need to be taken into account (even in a funded Masters), but I found that doing an M.A. helped me immensely when it came to my second application season. I told my professors from the get-go that my end goal was a clinical PhD program, and together we created a game plan. With their guidance, I developed and spear-headed multiple projects, many of which led to publications and presentations (which my CV had been sorely lacking). Additionally, my M.A. GPA showed that I could handle graduate work, and the mandatory internship helped boost my clinical experience as well. I went from being soundly rejected the first application season to have 6 acceptances this season.

Am I saying that an M.A. will guarantee you access to a PhD? Not at all. Additionally, if a MA/MS will put you in debt, I would ask you to seriously think about how that debt will affect your future before deciding anything. There are other ways to gain valuable research/clinical experience.  However, I know for a fact that my M.A. helped me become more competitive for this season, and it taught me a lot of valuable lessons!

TLDR: Either a research position or MA/MS is a good option as long as you consider how it will affect you, your goals, and your future. Worked for me, but it is not everyone's cup of tea!

Wholly agree; my experience was similar. Further, it gave me an opportunity to fine-tune my career objectives after "trying on" different clinical roles. Being able to speak knowledgeably about my experiences was an asset in interviews, as after graduation from my MA program I was able to get a paid clinical position in a highly respected science institution. I was also able to anticipate application rejection with the comfort that I am still qualified for a career in psychology; not necessarily the one I wanted, but one that I am happy with. 

20 hours ago, animalpaws96 said:

Hi there! ? I can completely understand and relate to where you are coming from! If I have any advice to give from my experience, it would be to continue working for another year, building up your CV and experience that much more, and then preparing to apply again for another cycle! This was my 3rd application cycle (the previous two years I received all rejections), but this year I also applied to a Master's program as a backup, just in case I didn't get into one of the PhD programs I applied to. I got accepted into the master's program with a full-time research assistant position, and I really liked the school and the research/PI... but I also knew I would be settling a bit because my goal is to ultimately go on the PhD track. However, to my surprise, shortly after receiving my master's program acceptance, I also got waitlisted for two of the PhD programs (after interviews in February)... (I felt mixed emotions about being waitlisted... for a while, I was just disappointed and frustrated, but eventually I found peace with it, because it was just a waiting game at that point)... But now, several weeks later (about a month!), I just received a call from the PI at my top-choice PhD program -- and they extended an offer of admission to me with a full tuition scholarship, teaching assistantship, doctoral summer fellowship, and a stipend! (Turns out the delay in acceptance was due to waiting for funding approval!) 

I also had a great deal of involved research experience (3.5 years) in various labs; two 1st author papers, eight conference presentations, and only minimal lay counseling/clinical experience (~2 years). 

I'll admit that going through a third cycle was tough... I really hunkered down and focused pretty much solely on applications from August-December whenever I got home from work... And then it especially got tough when it got to the waiting period (over the past few months!)... And of course, receiving more rejection letters was certainly not fun ?, but honestly, I felt more prepared this time around and like I had stronger personal statements/better application materials all around -- plus, I was able to use my persistence and perseverance (in applying again and again despite rejections) as evidence of my passion for pursuing the PhD and for my ability to not give up even when it gets tough! ❤️) This cycle was the first time I got interviews, waitlists, and acceptances -- I'd say it's great you've already gotten a couple interviews and an acceptance (even if to a Masters program) on what I presume to be your second application cycle! So, my advice would be to not give up if you know this is what you really want! One thing that kept me going was how one of my favorite professors from undergrad told me that it took him a few cycles to get in to his program -- yet he was one of the best professors I ever could have asked for!! - and so I used that as my motivation, and I'm so thankful I did!! I hope this helps -- try to listen to your heart and whatever gut feeling you have! If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to answer them!! You're definitely not alone!! Don't lose hope! :)

That's so great you got the call! Congratulations! This is my 3rd cycle but 2nd cycle with a strong CV. The first cycle was while I was still in undergrad and didn't have much research experience. 

Thanks for your thoughtful response and congrats on your acceptance! :) 

3 minutes ago, shouldhavebeenagoatfarmer said:

Who else are you waiting on?  I want to commiserate 

Virginia tech. Though above poster says offers have gone out already according to the DCT, so...

(the other is unc Greensboro and I didn’t get an interview)

Edited by Oxford_comma2