Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

2 hours ago, shouldhavebeenagoatfarmer said:

I’m 28 but this process makes me feel like I’m turning 85. I’m hoping I’ll get into a program before I’m 50. Although, even if I did get in at 50 that would still give me plenty of years to work before I die. 

I appreciate this so much!!! I am about to be 30 and yes - I feel like I'm running on a hamster wheel

21 minutes ago, aspiringgradstudent said:

Is it normal for PIs to not reply to emails inquiring about the status of your application? I sent an email 3 weeks after my interview and never heard back. Thanks in advance!

I’m right there with you. It’s been radio silence. Only thing I can think of is that the department told them to not respond to any emails until decisions have been made

10 minutes ago, shouldhavebeenagoatfarmer said:

I’m right there with you. It’s been radio silence. Only thing I can think of is that the department told them to not respond to any emails until decisions have been made

That's what I assumed as well... I also figured I'm maybe on a waitlist otherwise they would have informed me of a rejection by now? I guess we can't be sure. 

1 hour ago, Psy-aye-aye said:

Is anyone else waiting to hear from Wright Institute? Johnny said we should hear by the week of March 22-26, and I still haven’t heard back! ?

I'm still waiting. I'm assuming it's a no, but I could be wrong. Also I keep answering robocalls from California numbers.

Edited by Regulateregulateregulate

45 minutes ago, Regulateregulateregulate said:

I'm still waiting. I'm assuming it's a no, but I could be wrong. Also I keep answering robocalls from California numbers.

I’ve been answering robocalls too! The Wright Institute is probably going to be a (415) number, but it could be different if it’s a faculty member calling. 

36 minutes ago, psychhopeful19 said:

Anyone else slowly getting more anxious as the April 15th date approaches?  I’m on a few different waitlists and one where the POI is still figuring out department funding and I’m getting less and less hopeful as each day goes on 

Yesssss. Don't lose hope though! I just got a call from a PI today at a school that I didn't interview with. He's doing a second round of interviews and invited me for next Monday! Super surprised, but just goes to show that anything can happen!

I broke down and emailed my PI (waitlist) yesterday and she warmly responded back saying I am the next to be offered a spot with a few outstanding initial offers still out there. My fingers are crossed so tight. I'm a 31 year old single mom and I don't think I can take another cycle of this ? these next 2.5 weeks are going to do me in, I can feel it!

Good luck everyone!!

On 3/23/2021 at 5:59 PM, ClinicalGradCandidate said:

Hi! Out of curiosity, how old is everyone going into their clinical psych PhD/PsyD program? ?

I will be 28- I have had moments were I've felt concerned about being "too old" but I will say the generic age is just a number and that for clinical programs in particular I would make a confident guess that the average age of entry into a program is quickly rising given how competitive the admission process is now. For those feeling worried about being too old, you will probably have a much "easier" ride because life experience and strong resilience is needed for these programs. In addition, older students may have more research experience/publications so may find certain aspects of the program less difficult compared to younger students with less experience. more experience both professionally and in life is always golden.

2 hours ago, PhD1Day said:

I broke down and emailed my PI (waitlist) yesterday and she warmly responded back saying I am the next to be offered a spot with a few outstanding initial offers still out there. My fingers are crossed so tight. I'm a 31 year old single mom and I don't think I can take another cycle of this ? these next 2.5 weeks are going to do me in, I can feel it!

Good luck everyone!!

lmk what happens!

16 hours ago, psychhopeful19 said:

Anyone else slowly getting more anxious as the April 15th date approaches?  I’m on a few different waitlists and one where the POI is still figuring out department funding and I’m getting less and less hopeful as each day goes on 

Yes, I am on two waitlists, one for my first choice, and with each week that passes I get less hopeful. I truly hope people will make decisions soon :( 

To those feeling "too" old, I get it, I am turning 35 this summer. I sometimes tell my current PI that I feel sad about not having chosen this career earlier, and he always points out to me how valuable my life experiences have been, how intentional I am and how age sometimes really helps.. Plus he always reminds me that I have my three amazing kids who I love to death and who bring me so much joy (also drive me nuts..) but having a family also taught me how to juggle school, work, research and family and be more organized and intentional with my time. Not to say it wouldn't be nice to be doing this in my early twenties, or even late twenties, but I don't necessarily think it's always a downside to be a bit older. I still have so much time to do what I love, and my kids will be a bit older and more independent once I finish grad school. Plus I feel like a kid at heart lol :) 

Edited by Biopsychosocialyzing

So I'm waitlisted at one program and am considering reaching out just to show interest - when I was informed of my waitlist (unranked, btw) I replied saying I was excited. Would anyone recommend doing this again ~1.5 months later? I just don't want them to forget about me!

1 minute ago, Fall21Hopeful said:

So I'm waitlisted at one program and am considering reaching out just to show interest - when I was informed of my waitlist (unranked, btw) I replied saying I was excited. Would anyone recommend doing this again ~1.5 months later? I just don't want them to forget about me!

I definitely don't think it would hurt to reach out again. I've been waitlisted for a comparable amount of time, and I reach out for status updates every 3 weeks (just brief check-ins to see if my status has changed). I always use these check-ins as an opportunity to tell the program I'm still very interested. 

1 minute ago, ClinicalPsychHopeful24 said:

I definitely don't think it would hurt to reach out again. I've been waitlisted for a comparable amount of time, and I reach out for status updates every 3 weeks (just brief check-ins to see if my status has changed). I always use these check-ins as an opportunity to tell the program I'm still very interested. 

Thank you!! Would you mind sharing any tips on what to say? Trying to come off as little pushy as possible!

25 minutes ago, Fall21Hopeful said:

Thank you!! Would you mind sharing any tips on what to say? Trying to come off as little pushy as possible!

Sure! I normally write to my POI and say something like: 

"Dear xxx,

I'm writing to check-in regarding my waitlist status for ______'s clinical psychology doctoral program. I remain very interested in the program and your lab, and know that waitlists can sometimes change pretty quickly, so I wanted to see if you had any updates that you could share. 

Thanks so much for any information that you can provide. I hope you're doing well!

Best Regards,

XXX"