Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

1 hour ago, Tdconstante said:

Has everyone Heard back from all their schools and waitlist or are there still some people like me, who are waiting on the waitlist. This is so brutal. Congrats to everyone who knows where they are going though!

You're not alone! I recently got rejected off one waitlist and am still waiting to hear back from another program post-interview (no decision has been made yet)

Does anyone know why schools don't send rejections until so late in the application season? I haven't heard anything from several schools, and I know they've already made offers / interviews. Why don't they just send rejections out if they know they don't want me?

1 hour ago, hmbpsych said:

Does anyone know why schools don't send rejections until so late in the application season? I haven't heard anything from several schools, and I know they've already made offers / interviews. Why don't they just send rejections out if they know they don't want me?

Because they're ghosting us :(. There's been few who have said anything to me at all. 

4 hours ago, Tdconstante said:

Has everyone Heard back from all their schools and waitlist or are there still some people like me, who are waiting on the waitlist. This is so brutal. Congrats to everyone who knows where they are going though!

You aren't alone! I'm still out here in two different waitlists. ?

28 minutes ago, ClinicalPsychApplicant21 said:

Does anyone know if it is common to receive an "unofficial offer" from the POI and psych department but still be waiting on an "official offer" from the graduate school? Getting nervous to not receive it before April 15th. 

I wouldn't be too worried- how long have you been waiting for? Sometimes it takes a week or so to get processed

2 hours ago, ClinicalPsychApplicant21 said:

Does anyone know if it is common to receive an "unofficial offer" from the POI and psych department but still be waiting on an "official offer" from the graduate school? Getting nervous to not receive it before April 15th. 

I emailed the DCT of my program after waiting 2.5 weeks. He responded and was under the impression I had already received the official offer from the graduate school and apologized! I was sent the official offer that same day. So maybe email and clarify if it's been a while!

Edited by coffeepsychx3

It sounds like lots of people are still on waitlists. I don’t know why I thought I would have heard from at least one by now, and I’m a bit worried I’m getting my hopes up. I was just wondering how normal it is to be on the waitlist still at this point? Do people really get off waitlists rather late usually or does anyone think this year is especially slow? I truly wish it wouldn’t be dragged out until the 15th.. I’ve been waiting for over 5 weeks now and it’s so frustrating to be in this limbo. I know I need to be patient but also my top choice emailed me two weeks ago that movement is beginning to occur and whether I had accepted another offer yet and radio silence still since. I know 2 weeks is probably nothing for them but it is starting to feel like an eternity... 

1 hour ago, Biopsychosocialyzing said:

It sounds like lots of people are still on waitlists. I don’t know why I thought I would have heard from at least one by now, and I’m a bit worried I’m getting my hopes up. I was just wondering how normal it is to be on the waitlist still at this point? Do people really get off waitlists rather late usually or does anyone think this year is especially slow? I truly wish it wouldn’t be dragged out until the 15th.. I’ve been waiting for over 5 weeks now and it’s so frustrating to be in this limbo. I know I need to be patient but also my top choice emailed me two weeks ago that movement is beginning to occur and whether I had accepted another offer yet and radio silence still since. I know 2 weeks is probably nothing for them but it is starting to feel like an eternity... 

People can still get off waitlists after April 15th since schools are getting final answers from 1st round offers at that time. Someone who is holding an offer but on a waitlist for their top choice may be holding that offer until the deadline.  

12 hours ago, Biopsychosocialyzing said:

Likely, there will be minimal movement at this point until April 15th. Since people don't have to give their decision until then, those on the waitlist might not get offers until after this date, depending on their 'rank' on the waitlist. I know this is frustrating, but this is completely normal and appears to happen every year, not just this year. I know a few people from last year who didn't hear until June. 

I've been posting on here a lot. I think it is the only thing that is keeping me sane while I wait. But I had another question and was looking for advice or suggestions. On Monday I sent an email to inquire about my position on the waitlist and to let the school that I was still very much interested. They got back to me and said that there had not been a change and I would be notified as soon as there was a change. Now with the April 15th deadline approaching if I hear nothing from them after April 15th should I reach out to them? If I do reach out to them what should I say and how long should I wait to reach out to them? thank you all for your help

3 hours ago, NotYourMothersGrad said:

5 interviews and officially rejected from 4 ? let's goooooo 

I don't know how to survive another year of this y'all. To get so close and still fail is the worst feeling in the world.

I’ve been doing basically this but with RA jobs for the last two years. I’m not sure how much longer I can manage it either. At least we’re in good company. 

7 hours ago, EileanDonan said:

I’ve been doing basically this but with RA jobs for the last two years. I’m not sure how much longer I can manage it either. At least we’re in good company. 

I'm sorry you're in the same boat. If you ever have time, I would love any advice around getting an RA job, even remotely. Those types of jobs are non-existent near me or require being enrolled as a student. I'm really nervous about making income while I go through this whole process again....good luck to you through this though.

19 hours ago, Tdconstante said:

I've been posting on here a lot. I think it is the only thing that is keeping me sane while I wait. But I had another question and was looking for advice or suggestions. On Monday I sent an email to inquire about my position on the waitlist and to let the school that I was still very much interested. They got back to me and said that there had not been a change and I would be notified as soon as there was a change. Now with the April 15th deadline approaching if I hear nothing from them after April 15th should I reach out to them? If I do reach out to them what should I say and how long should I wait to reach out to them? thank you all for your help

I'm deff feeling the same as you- posting is keeping me sane while I wait on my last two waitlists

I would probably wait to reach out a week after the April 15th deadline (giving them time to process paperwork etc) if they are planning on sending out more acceptances.  And I would just ask for a follow-up again! 

20 hours ago, Tdconstante said:

I have reached out every 2-3 weeks or so to check in and reiterate my interest since being placed on the waitlist. Last time I checked in was last week, one program said they expect to see a lot of movement in the next two weeks, and that my application is still being very much considered. The other program I reached out to Friday and haven’t heard yet. I don’t plan to follow up anymore at this point until April 15th or after. I think on April 15th you could reach out since that’s the day everyone has to make decisions. I would hope they would have an update by then or the next day. But I’m really hoping I will hear from either of the two waitlists either before or on that day without having to reach out. No idea what you can day I guess it depends if you have another offer or not. If you have another offer you could say I am reaching out to see if you had an update on my waitlist status. I remain highly interested in attending x and have not accepted any offer since x remains my first choice etc. What’s everyone else’s opinion? Should we reach out again on the 15th or not? 

On 4/2/2021 at 9:32 AM, lexileigh said:

Likely, there will be minimal movement at this point until April 15th. Since people don't have to give their decision until then, those on the waitlist might not get offers until after this date, depending on their 'rank' on the waitlist. I know this is frustrating, but this is completely normal and appears to happen every year, not just this year. I know a few people from last year who didn't hear until June. 

So I guess that means it’s not necessarily over yet. I don’t know my exact place on the waitlist but they said I am high on it. So what do people do who have offers from other programs that they would consider if they don’t make it off the waitlists? Since you technically have to commit to that by the 15th. What if they commit and then hear back from a higher choice after that date...I thought the whole point was everyone would find out that day.

1 hour ago, Biopsychosocialyzing said:

So I guess that means it’s not necessarily over yet. I don’t know my exact place on the waitlist but they said I am high on it. So what do people do who have offers from other programs that they would consider if they don’t make it off the waitlists? Since you technically have to commit to that by the 15th. What if they commit and then hear back from a higher choice after that date...I thought the whole point was everyone would find out that day.

April 15th is the deadline that everyone has to decide by. Someone who is holding an offer and holding out for a better choice has to cut their losses and either choose the offer in hand or roll the dice that the waitlist will come through. If there wasn't a firm deadline, the process would go on forever because someone could be holding an offer from the program you're waitlisted on because they are also on a waitlist for somewhere else.

9 hours ago, NotYourMothersGrad said:

I'm sorry you're in the same boat. If you ever have time, I would love any advice around getting an RA job, even remotely. Those types of jobs are non-existent near me or require being enrolled as a student. I'm really nervous about making income while I go through this whole process again....good luck to you through this though.

My impression is that most positions are at least partially in-person, certainly with the expectation that they will be increasingly so as the months pass. Are you only able to work in your immediate area? I'm afraid that alone will be your biggest problem moving forward; I can spend a week scraping positions from across the country and still only find a handful that are relevant enough to me. Otherwise, just try adding in "remote" as a keyword to your search; every once in a blue moon I'll see one (but again, may very well not be an indefinite expectation).

Have you tried looking for clinically-relevant positions in your area (psych tech, psychometrist, addiction treatment, forensic-relevant work, etc)? Granted it's not as preferable as research, but at least it's still psych, and you could still consider emailing labs in your area and inquire as to whether they would let you do some volunteering in your spare time (if you're open to that). Make sure to express a direct interest in their area of research and how that relates to your own interests and skills. That would be my back up-option if I were doing this solo.

3 hours ago, Biopsychosocialyzing said:

That date is for the people who are offered positions, not for the schools to make their decisions. So applicants have to accept and let go of those waitlists, or reject and hope they make it off the waitlist. I'm not sure how much time is offered to applicants who are on the waitlist and receive their acceptance on or after April 15th, but I'm assuming they give the applicants some time to consider. It sucks that schools are not given stringent deadlines like applicants are, but hopefully it moves quickly for everyone on the waitlists after April 15th!