Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

I would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations:

A school I applied for had their interviews in mid-late March and said I should expect to hear back in early April. I still haven't heard back, however I am expecting to get in. This would be my only Psy.D. acceptance for the year but I am worried about having to make a decision in about a week's time. To me, this is a red flag that it has taken this school so long to offer any decisions. Red flag as in that if they treat their applicants like this, how do they treat their students? A current student told me that they were given less than a week to decide last year. I've heard mixed reviews about this program which also has me worried.

I was offered acceptance into a master's program at another school where I originally applied to their Psy.D. program. I was offered to attend a semester and was told that I would be guaranteed an interview at at-least 1 of their PsyD programs the following year. This was my top school but the doctorate was a combined school-clinical program (I think I prefer school psych) and the masters is only for MH counseling.

Also, I have great work and research experience. An average GPA. But terrible GRE scores so I really lucked out with the GRE being waived this year.

So what should I do? Is anyone in a similar boat?

On 3/30/2021 at 12:22 PM, aspiringpsychstudent said:

For those who did got accepted into the Wright Institute, when do you have to let them know/commit to the program? Just wanna know so I can figure out when I might be able to hear back from them

Hi! I see that you just joined recently. Welcome! Most schools follow the CUDCP timeline which requires students to accept or decline admissions offers by April 15. Waitlist decisions sometimes come before then, but it’s unlikely. If you have any offers from clinical psych programs, you are probably required to accept and make a deposit or release the offer by April 15. You may want to consider (if you’re able) making a deposit and accepting an offer by April 15th and if you get in off a waitlist after that, you’ll just lose the deposit from the first school. 

1 hour ago, psychstudent21 said:

Can someone tell me what the overall consensus is of these schools:

- Yeshiva School-Clinical PsyD

- Pace School-Clinical PsyD

- Kean School-Clinical PsyD

-Rutgers Clinical OR School PsyD

In my opinion,, Rutgers Clinical PsyD is the best out of all of them, probably followed by their School PsyD. I would probably then rank Kean, followed by Yeshiva and Pace as probably pretty even. 

3 minutes ago, PsyDuck90 said:

In my opinion,, Rutgers Clinical PsyD is the best out of all of them, probably followed by their School PsyD. I would probably then rank Kean, followed by Yeshiva and Pace as probably pretty even. 

I'm surprised. I would have thought that Kean would have been under Yeshiva. What about Kean is better?

17 minutes ago, psychstudent21 said:

I'm surprised. I would have thought that Kean would have been under Yeshiva. What about Kean is better?

It's wayyyy cheaper. Those 3 are honestly on par, but cheaper cost bumps Kean up. 

Has anyone received a decision from University of Cincinnati’s clinical PhD? I interviewed back in February and then had a follow-up interview thing towards the beginning of March, but haven’t heard anything since then. Does anyone know if they’ve sent out any offers? It seems really late for them to not have sent out any yet, but I haven’t seen anyone post about getting in. 

still on the waitlist for a clinical PhD program! I assume the person holding the offer is waitlisted for another school higher up on their list and is waiting to hear back from them. I can't wait another week ?

I also applied to the Penn State Harrisburg Masters in applied clinical psych at the last minute. Was told they still had spots open and I'd hear back from them within a week or two (this was 2 weeks ago, of course). Anyone have any insight about that program?

To the person that posted on the results page about being rejected from University of North Texas counseling, I would love to chat about your interview experiences. Please feel free to dm!

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from LIU Brooklyn for their clinical PhD program? They've send out acceptances in waves in the past year and I've only seen one wave and no one else post after this year. Wondering if someone here heard and just hasn't posted in the results? Feel free to dm me if you don't want to post. On that note, someone in this forum declined their offer and was then called again a week later asking if they had made a decision yet... did anyone else here decline and offer to LIU Brooklyn's PhD and had the same happen? wondering if that's why there hasn't been another round of offers..

On 3/12/2021 at 12:38 PM, SikeeeeYourMind said:

Hey everyone! I just wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on Nova and Mercer PsyD programs. I’m trying to decide between the two. I know Mercer is new program, but it seems like it has so much potential and all programs have to start somewhere. Then there’s Nova that’s seems to be a decent program in a nice location. Any thoughts on how to choose between the two? Has anyone been accepted to both & want to chat?

Hi! I applied to Mercer PsyD for Fall 21' and my application is still under review. Mercer is my first choice because of the health/medical focus. I looked into Nova but cannot move to FL right now. 

On 2/21/2021 at 2:36 AM, Desperateforacceptance said:

- Has anyone heard back from PCOM? 

- Does anyone know if Mercer is done sending interview invites? 

Hi! I applied to Mercer PsyD for Fall 21' and received an email on March 25 that my application was still under review. Major stress!! 

On 4/4/2021 at 2:52 PM, psychstudent21 said:

I would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations:

A school I applied for had their interviews in mid-late March and said I should expect to hear back in early April. I still haven't heard back, however I am expecting to get in. This would be my only Psy.D. acceptance for the year but I am worried about having to make a decision in about a week's time. To me, this is a red flag that it has taken this school so long to offer any decisions. Red flag as in that if they treat their applicants like this, how do they treat their students? A current student told me that they were given less than a week to decide last year. I've heard mixed reviews about this program which also has me worried.

I was offered acceptance into a master's program at another school where I originally applied to their Psy.D. program. I was offered to attend a semester and was told that I would be guaranteed an interview at at-least 1 of their PsyD programs the following year. This was my top school but the doctorate was a combined school-clinical program (I think I prefer school psych) and the masters is only for MH counseling.

Also, I have great work and research experience. An average GPA. But terrible GRE scores so I really lucked out with the GRE being waived this year.

So what should I do? Is anyone in a similar boat?

From what advisors have told me, grad decisions are super behind since applications are up 40% due to waived GRE. I feel similar and very stressed about when/if I'll hear back. 

On 1/13/2021 at 7:00 PM, kch16 said:

To the Mercer poster: when did you apply? I understand that they use a rolling deadline, so I'm just trying to get a feel for their timeline. Thanks!

I submitted my application Jan 1 and received an email that my application was still under review March 25. Have you heard back? 

Is it standard for PIs to not send a personal rejection email after interviewing? It feels a bit disrespectful of the time, energy, and effort we put into our applications and then interviews to just receive a standard rejection email from the university without a note from the PI. Overall, this process has been disillusioning as to how applicants are treated through the process.

47 minutes ago, COVID19Sucks said:

I think a lot of schools are dealing with issues with funding, causing PIs to also be kept in limbo. I got admitted this past Monday to my top choice. I thought I wasn’t going to get accepted considering the deadline is next week. I am extremely happy I waited it out. Don’t lose hope 

Did your POI keep you updated on the funding situation throughout this process?  Or were they vague when you asked for updates? 

14 minutes ago, psychhopeful19 said:

Did your POI keep you updated on the funding situation throughout this process?  Or were they vague when you asked for updates? 

I was very fortunate to have a transparent relationship with them regarding this. It was agonizing waiting and almost committed elsewhere. Email the PIs this is part of their job as a professor. 

Hi!

This has seemed like such a supportive group of people and would really value your input! I am trying to decide between the Clinical Psychology PsyD program at William James College and the Combined School-Clinical Child Psychology PsyD program at Yeshiva University.

I feel very fortunate to be in such a position, but any input would be so helpful and appreciated!!