Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

43 minutes ago, Psycs said:

Hi! I’m curious what is the difference between clinical psychology and counseling psychology? But they have different careers after graduate? Thank you!!

It's the same exact license at the end of the day. There are some minor philosophical differences, with more of the multicultural counseling and diversity research coming out of counseling psychology, but there are for more similarities than differences and no distinction post graduation. 

37 minutes ago, PsyDuck90 said:

It's the same exact license at the end of the day. There are some minor philosophical differences, with more of the multicultural counseling and diversity research coming out of counseling psychology, but there are for more similarities than differences and no distinction post graduation. 

Thank you!!! Does this mean the two can get the same type of job and similar salaries after graduation?

Edited by Psycs

49 minutes ago, PsyDuck90 said:

Yes. There may be some people who have biases and preferences, but from a state licensing perspective, the two degrees are the same. 

This is great info. I'm being told by my faculty to include some counseling PhD programs in my apps next year since this whole clinical process has gotten insane, but I wasn't sure where the differences lie. I'm still waitlisted for two programs, but I recieved five interviews this year and not a single acceptance which is apparently unheard of in my department....

36 minutes ago, NotYourMothersGrad said:

This is great info. I'm being told by my faculty to include some counseling PhD programs in my apps next year since this whole clinical process has gotten insane, but I wasn't sure where the differences lie. I'm still waitlisted for two programs, but I recieved five interviews this year and not a single acceptance which is apparently unheard of in my department....

Dude I’m in the same boat. Seven interviews, three waitlists, no acceptances as of right now.

11 hours ago, NotYourMothersGrad said:

Program fit and POI research area is the most important thing. There are professors and labs in both counseling and clinical programs that will likely fit your needs. 
I will warn that getting into counseling programs is insanely competitive too and it’s more a matter of expanding your net of possibilities than these being “back ups” to clinical. 

Edited by shouldhavebeenagoatfarmer

10 minutes ago, clinpsych2021 said:

I was also told they're still in the review process! According to gradcafe there was one person who got an offer March 3rd? 

i'm so confused about what "in the review process" even means! like, are they still extending first offers? possibly extending offers to those on the waitlist? trying to sort out funding? 

1 hour ago, La Cosmopolitan said:

i'm so confused about what "in the review process" even means! like, are they still extending first offers? possibly extending offers to those on the waitlist? trying to sort out funding? 

i'm also very confused ?? i feel like if they had a waitlist they would let us know, rather than say they're 'in the review process'? i'm leaning towards thinking that they're trying to sort out funding?

48 minutes ago, clinpsych2021 said:

i'm also very confused ?? i feel like if they had a waitlist they would let us know, rather than say they're 'in the review process'? i'm leaning towards thinking that they're trying to sort out funding?

At this point, I’m inclined to think they’ve begun (or finished) giving out initial offers. Another faculty member said they haven’t “finalized they’re incoming class” yet, which makes me think offers have been made and applicants are likely holding them due how complicated the process has been this year

In general, is it rare for a mentor to take on more than one student for an intake, right? Just seeing how much of a chance I have, which seems to be like 1 in a billion at this point lol.

I wrote to the school I am waitlisted on, they got back to me stating I am still waitlisted I just need to know my answer. So if there is anyone who’s holding on to an offer from the counseling program at Marquette let me know please!!! 

6 hours ago, shouldhavebeenagoatfarmer said:

Program fit and POI research area is the most important thing. There are professors and labs in both counseling and clinical programs that will likely fit your needs. 
I will warn that getting into counseling programs is insanely competitive too and it’s more a matter of expanding your net of possibilities than these being “back ups” to clinical. 

While I personally would rather any person entering School Psychology to actually want to work with school populations (since it deprives spots from people who do) many School Psychology programs have faculty working in Clinical Childlike research areas. Some schools like Ball State and Lehigh rarely pump out school practitioners = and rather pump out clinicians that end up at Children's hospitals or other private practice settings. 

It is so much less competitive than both Clinical and Counseling Psychology. Just make sure you apply to faculty or programs with a more clinical research or training focus and you should be golden. Many of the programs I applied to often accept a few students every year who would like to work outside of schools (but certain schools discourage people viewing the field as a clinical backup). 

If they sense that you are viewing them as a backup (rather than fit truly being there) it will likely not help your chances. Acceptance rates are around 10-25% among top School Psychology PhD programs (it was even worse this year) which is higher than Clinical/Counseling but not a walk in the park easy. 

Best of luck everyone applying next cycle!

4 minutes ago, JakiraJakira said:

While I personally would rather any person entering School Psychology to actually want to work with school populations (since it deprives spots from people who do) many School Psychology programs have faculty working in Clinical Childlike research areas. Some schools like Ball State and Lehigh rarely pump out school practitioners = and rather pump out clinicians that end up at Children's hospitals or other private practice settings. 

It is so much less competitive than both Clinical and Counseling Psychology. Just make sure you apply to faculty or programs with a more clinical research or training focus and you should be golden. Many of the programs I applied to often accept a few students every year who would like to work outside of schools (but certain schools discourage people viewing the field as a clinical backup). 

If they sense that you are viewing them as a backup (rather than fit truly being there) it will likely not help your chances. Acceptance rates are around 10-25% among top School Psychology PhD programs (it was even worse this year) which is higher than Clinical/Counseling but not a walk in the park easy. 

Best of luck everyone applying next cycle!

That’s interesting to know. Personally, that’s far from my area of interest so it’s not something I would consider but is really helpful for someone interested in child clinical psych!

Do all grad schools notify someone if they are on a waitlist, or do some start calling those they consider to be the next best suited for their program, once they know who has and has not accepted their program by April 15th? 

8 hours ago, icecat said:

Do all grad schools notify someone if they are on a waitlist, or do some start calling those they consider to be the next best suited for their program, once they know who has and has not accepted their program by April 15th? 

I know it is probably not the clear-cut answer you are looking for, but it varies! Some schools let you know if you are on the waitlist right around the time they send out their first offers. Some will tell you your spot on the waitlist and some do not. Then you have other programs that send out first wave of acceptances and as they hear back from those applicants, they start sending out their second wave of acceptances etc. In that case you may be notified you are on the waitlist or you may not be. Regardless, a school *should* (does not mean they will?) tell you if are still being considered for a spot if you reach out and email them.

Has anyone accepted an offer from Old Dominion University (ODU)/The Virginia Consortium Program? If you have received an offer, do you have to let the program know by April 15th? I am on the waitlist and am really hoping I can get an acceptance as it's my top choice! Just want to know when I can expect to hear back regarding acceptance/rejection because waiting has been very difficult.

24 minutes ago, Tdconstante said:

Has everyone Heard back from all their schools and waitlist or are there still some people like me, who are waiting on the waitlist. This is so brutal. Congrats to everyone who knows where they are going though!

Still have three outstanding waitlists that I’m waiting to hear about! You’re definitely not alone. Unfortunately, I think there are several gridlock situations going on. My area of research is a very niche area so I’m deff dealing with the domino effect?

32 minutes ago, Tdconstante said:

Has everyone Heard back from all their schools and waitlist or are there still some people like me, who are waiting on the waitlist. This is so brutal. Congrats to everyone who knows where they are going though!

You definitely aren't alone! I'm on the waitlist for one program and am just waiting to hear.