Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

9 hours ago, willow_15 said:

From one of those people who is holding an offer - a ton of us are also in waitlist limbo! I think that's what makes this process so hard. Especially this year - I applied to a (different) program, and their funding got cut (shoutout to COVID), and they've essentially told me I may get an offer, or I may not, and then that they don't really know when that offer would come in if they're able to make me one! And I've heard of many other folks in similar positions this year, who maybe (like me) have an offer from one of their top choices and were hoping to be able to figure out the best fit with another school that they are on the waitlist for due to budget shortfalls/limitations. It's all so frustrating! But just wanted to respond with one reason why some people might be waiting - that's certainly my reason! :) 

Yes, don’t get me wrong I am not blaming anyone (well maybe COVID ;)) and I certainly understand the reason why people are holding on to offers. I just wish this limbo was over, and schools would have been able to figure out funding before telling applicants they are taking on people... I may be to naive to understand this process but it royally sucks that some schools have made people apply and interview to then tell them we can’t give an offer because of funding. I wish that they would have known that before. Again maybe I’m being naive. 

3 hours ago, Biopsychosocialyzing said:

Yes, don’t get me wrong I am not blaming anyone (well maybe COVID ;)) and I certainly understand the reason why people are holding on to offers. I just wish this limbo was over, and schools would have been able to figure out funding before telling applicants they are taking on people... I may be to naive to understand this process but it royally sucks that some schools have made people apply and interview to then tell them we can’t give an offer because of funding. I wish that they would have known that before. Again maybe I’m being naive. 

Oh I 100% agree! From these two programs and faculty I’ve spoken with at both, it sounds like this isn’t terribly unusual for a public school (which both of mine are). They usually get their budget from the state anytime Jan-March so it’s kind of a guessing game as to how many students they can take when they post their application info for the upcoming year. Usually it doesn’t impact as much as it did this year (the program I’m waiting on usually takes 8-10 and they’re taking...2), and my POI was also very frustrated and told me she wouldn’t have put her name on the list of faculty taking students if she had known cuts would have been this drastic. I was also rejected without interview from another program who didn’t take *anyone* into the track I applied to, which just made me feel...not great about this whole process (or that I paid so much to apply).

Edited by willow_15

1 minute ago, willow_15 said:

Oh I 100% agree! From these two programs and faculty I’ve spoken with at both, it sounds like this isn’t terribly unusual for a public school (which both of mine are). They usually get their budget from the state anytime Jan-March so it’s kind of a guessing game as to how many students they can take when they post their application info for the upcoming year. Usually it doesn’t impact as much as it did this year (the program I’m waiting on usually takes 8-10 and they’re taking...2), and my POI was also very frustrated and told me she wouldn’t have put her name on the list of faculty taking students if she had known cuts would have been this drastic. I was also rejected without interview from another program who didn’t take *anyone* into the track I applied to, which just made me feel...not great about this whole process (or that I paid so much to apply).

That makes sense! I am so sorry, that’s super frustrating. I hope you get good news soon! 

On 3/2/2021 at 3:40 PM, Disappointed69 said:

Has anyone heard from Marquette post interview?

I  heard back, I was given an alternate status, so I am just waiting to hear back after that. 

Anyone hear any word or make any contact from SIU about another round of interviews? They said they would get back to us around mid-March, but I haven’t heard anything. The DCT said she’d reach out when she knew more information, so I’m nervous to email and ask. ?

Trying to not be that person to ask and I've been holding out, but since I'm waiting to hear about interview invite to one school and waitlisted on the other, is anyone giving up their acceptances to Rowan? This is my first choice and I've been waitlisted (although I have no idea where I am on the list). You can PM me if you don't feel comfortable posting ?.

55 minutes ago, Psyched6813 said:

Anyone hear any word or make any contact from SIU about another round of interviews? They said they would get back to us around mid-March, but I haven’t heard anything. The DCT said she’d reach out when she knew more information, so I’m nervous to email and ask. ?

Hello, I was extended an offer from SIU's child track and released the offer. I think they are going through their offers right now and try not to reach out to the waitlist until they have more info. However, I think the DCT said it was fine to reach out about your status and placement on the waitlist.

1 hour ago, Psyched6813 said:

25 minutes ago, justtryi said:

Hello, I was extended an offer from SIU's child track and released the offer. I think they are going through their offers right now and try not to reach out to the waitlist until they have more info. However, I think the DCT said it was fine to reach out about your status and placement on the waitlist.

I interviewed with them (at this point, it's nearly been one month since) and have heard nothing back. I'm assuming I'm somewhere on the waitlist. I emailed DCT about my status about a week ago and never heard back. Not super surprised- I remember her saying on interview day that they'd rather have you think you were accepted first round rather than from the waitlist. Still kinda annoying though ?‍♀️ 

So I was just wondering if anyone on here has been given and offer to Marquette for their Counseling program. Or if they had heard anything I was given a status as an alternate and was just curious. 

So this has been a question/paradox that I’ve been tossing in my head for the last couple of weeks. If people who got acceptances are waiting to hear from the programs that they’re waitlisted for, and vice versa (assuming the PIs overlap because similar research interests and small circles due to niche areas), when does the cycle end? Do people just eventually give up on the waitlist and accept what they have? I realize that this question might not have an answer, just been curious!

18 minutes ago, Copingwithcarbs said:

So this has been a question/paradox that I’ve been tossing in my head for the last couple of weeks. If people who got acceptances are waiting to hear from the programs that they’re waitlisted for, and vice versa (assuming the PIs overlap because similar research interests and small circles due to niche areas), when does the cycle end? Do people just eventually give up on the waitlist and accept what they have? I realize that this question might not have an answer, just been curious!

i've been thinking about this too! the thought is so distressing to me lol. i assume if it does happen, people eventually just give up on the schools where they were waitlisted. i don't see how else it could end ?

1 hour ago, Copingwithcarbs said:

I think some people eventually let go of their waitlist spot, and others probably hold on to it until the 15th until they know for sure it worked or hasn't? I would assume? I really hope people aren't holding more than 1 offer for more than a week though because that would really suck..

Hi all,

I was rejected for the Catholic University of America clinical PhD program but was offered a spot in their MA psychological science program. Although it's not clinical, they bragged that all of their masters students who applied to PhD programs (including clinical) this year received offers. Is it worth it for me to accept their offer and try to reapply to clinical PhD programs in the future? Or will this not make me a more competitive candidate? 

I'm waiting to hear back about financial aid because this program is very expensive, as is the cost of living in DC. I'm worried that they already awarded all of their available scholarships/assistantships to those who applied directly to the masters program back in January ? 

Still hoping that I get in to UNC Greensboro (clinical PhD) off of the waitlist.

1 hour ago, missmusical said:

Hi all,

I was rejected for the Catholic University of America clinical PhD program but was offered a spot in their MA psychological science program. Although it's not clinical, they bragged that all of their masters students who applied to PhD programs (including clinical) this year received offers. Is it worth it for me to accept their offer and try to reapply to clinical PhD programs in the future? Or will this not make me a more competitive candidate? 

I'm waiting to hear back about financial aid because this program is very expensive, as is the cost of living in DC. I'm worried that they already awarded all of their available scholarships/assistantships to those who applied directly to the masters program back in January ? 

Still hoping that I get in to UNC Greensboro (clinical PhD) off of the waitlist.

I think it will depend on the financial aid... I am not sure it’s worth it to take out loans? Especially since you mentioned it’s an expensive program. Would you be able to strengthen your CV equally without being in a MA program and taking out all that money? It’s hard to say but I truly hope your waitlist works out! 

36 minutes ago, Biopsychosocialyzing said:

I think it will depend on the financial aid... I am not sure it’s worth it to take out loans? Especially since you mentioned it’s an expensive program. Would you be able to strengthen your CV equally without being in a MA program and taking out all that money? It’s hard to say but I truly hope your waitlist works out! 

Let's say I decide to go but am never accepted into a PhD program afterwards. Are there research jobs out there requiring a master's that pay well enough to reasonably justify taking out loans? I know research associates don't make much more than research assistants, at least from the searching I've done. And those jobs require masters degrees. 

3 hours ago, missmusical said:

Let's say I decide to go but am never accepted into a PhD program afterwards. Are there research jobs out there requiring a master's that pay well enough to reasonably justify taking out loans? I know research associates don't make much more than research assistants, at least from the searching I've done. And those jobs require masters degrees. 

That is super dependent on location, job responsibilities, and job title. I work with quite a few masters level program coordinators/project managers, and they make a decent salary. But I also live in the Bay Area, so salaries here are going to be higher than other areas. Even as a clinical research assistant I make a livable wage, but its hard to say if it would be worth it to go into debt for the salary I'm currently making. 

Does anyone know anything about LIU CW Post PsyD interview? I have an interview with them tomorrow and it seems a lot different then the other programs I've interviewed at. Just an info session with Q&A and then a small group interview where we talk about poignant topics in psychology? I don't understand lol no individual interview or anyone asking us questions? just a discussion group?

7 hours ago, missmusical said:

If you were considering this route, you'd be better off doing the MA at a state university with significantly cheaper tuition. While you can totally make a living as a research coordinator/project manager, the amount of debt you would amass just isn't worth it. I looked at their tuition and my hair stood on end. I'm not sure that amount of debt for a master's is worth that much at all. There are much cheaper MA options that can help you boost your research experience and make you competitive for PhD programs that won't cost you $100k for 2 years. 

Hi Everyone!

I am a first time poster and a long time lurker. I am looking for advice on how/if I should contact admissions in regards to my placement on a waitlist? I have been accepted into a program that I would be happy attending, however the school I have been waitlisted for is my preference over the one I have been accepted to.

I am highly curious as to where on that waitlist I stand, and if it is necessarily worth keeping my hopes up/keeping the other program waiting for a response. Would it be smart/advantageous to contact admissions? Ty in advance!

Edited by PsyDInDistress
misspelling

6 minutes ago, PsyDInDistress said:

Hi Everyone!

I am a first time poster and a long time lurker. I am looking for advice on how/if I should contact admissions in regards to my placement on a waitlist? I have been accepted into a program that I would be happy attending, however the school I have been waitlisted for is my preference over the one I have been accepted to.

I am highly curious as to where on that waitlist I stand, and if it is necessarily worth keeping my hopes up/keeping the other program waiting for a response. Would it be smart/advantageous to contact admissions? Ty in advance!

Definitely couldn’t hurt to reach out to the program you're waitlisted at and could possibly help. I would mention you have an acceptance at X, and are wondering if they could give you any info about your standing on the waitlist because you’re still very interested in the program and are waiting to hear back before making a decision. Couldn’t hurt! I say go for it. Good luck :)