Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

2 hours ago, ClinicalPsy said:

Does anyone know anything about LIU CW Post PsyD interview? I have an interview with them tomorrow and it seems a lot different then the other programs I've interviewed at. Just an info session with Q&A and then a small group interview where we talk about poignant topics in psychology? I don't understand lol no individual interview or anyone asking us questions? just a discussion group?

Yes, it’s a discussion group. there are prompt questions, but the professor in my group was not attached to the prompts and let the conversation flow organically. I thought I didn’t do well, but they ended up offering an acceptance. 

They said this is the first year they’ve forgone individual interviews and wanted to try this out.

One thing I was thinking was that maybe they’re not weighting interviews as much compared to other factors in their decisions? Or they just want to make sure the applicants they already like on paper are okay to be around, can be collaborative, etc. ?

another thing I thought was that they might end up making offers to the majority of people they interview, so it isn’t necessary to take the time to grill every person in an individual interview (which perhaps isn’t a great representation of some applicants anyway). 

Good luck! I *really* like this program and am strongly considering their offer, but I am trying to talk to more people about the large recent/upcoming changes to the program that have me a little nervous. 

Edited by Regulateregulateregulate
Grammar

2 hours ago, ClinicalPsy said:

Does anyone know anything about LIU CW Post PsyD interview? I have an interview with them tomorrow and it seems a lot different then the other programs I've interviewed at. Just an info session with Q&A and then a small group interview where we talk about poignant topics in psychology? I don't understand lol no individual interview or anyone asking us questions? just a discussion group?

Unsure about your specific program's qualifications, but I have been to an interview like the one you explained. Basically a group of maybe 10/15 of us were in a session together. The committee members will ask you all questions like "how would you approach (_____) situation?" "What are your thoughts on XYZ" etc. Basically- yes, a discussion group. I was under the impression that the committee was trying to get an idea of what we would be like in a group settings, and trying to gauge our current knowledge/investment in topics in psychology. Lots of ethics-type questions. Just be yourself, and make sure to not let the group setting intimidate you. Make sure to complement other's responses and to be personable. I actually liked this format better because it was less of me trying to sell myself, and more just talking on the topics I am passionate about.

Best of luck to you! 

2 hours ago, Copingwithcarbs said:

If anyone was accepted toLSU , UND, or EMU and plans on releasing their offer, could you please dm me your PI? No pressure to make a decision obvs, just curious! I’m waitlisted for all three. Totally understandable if you’re not comfortable with that! Thanks in advance! ☺️

Hi, I’m waitlisted on UND as well. Which program are you referring, Clinical Psyc or Counseling Psyc?

Edited by Psycs

To those that have applied previously and are more familiar with the process of waitlists for PsyD's and PhD's, is this typically the week where waitlists starts moving? Another week in waitlist limbo and I am not looking forward to it lol

I got the news today that I was accepted off the waitlist for UMSL! 

I am proof that determination and persistence pay off. If you are feeling discouraged after this cycle, I just want you to know that there is hope. It might not happen on the timeline you thought it would, but please don't give up. Take time to grieve and then kick your ass into overdrive prepping for the next cycle. It's a grind, but I promise it's worth it. 

I've been round these parts for three years now, and I really appreciate this supportive community. I'm excited to stick around and hopefully help others persevere and realize their dreams. I believe in all of you! I'm always here if you need to vent, have questions, or just want a buddy. 

22 hours ago, Regulateregulateregulate said:

Yes, it’s a discussion group. there are prompt questions, but the professor in my group was not attached to the prompts and let the conversation flow organically. I thought I didn’t do well, but they ended up offering an acceptance. 

They said this is the first year they’ve forgone individual interviews and wanted to try this out.

One thing I was thinking was that maybe they’re not weighting interviews as much compared to other factors in their decisions? Or they just want to make sure the applicants they already like on paper are okay to be around, can be collaborative, etc. ?

another thing I thought was that they might end up making offers to the majority of people they interview, so it isn’t necessary to take the time to grill every person in an individual interview (which perhaps isn’t a great representation of some applicants anyway). 

Good luck! I *really* like this program and am strongly considering their offer, but I am trying to talk to more people about the large recent/upcoming changes to the program that have me a little nervous. 

Thanks so much! This really helped me calm my nerves last night. Today wasn’t so bad. Not sure how confident I feel though but hopefully I did okay! The questions were definitely stimulating.

I like this program too! Unfortunately, I haven’t heard great things about the program this year either ? like they might lose their accreditation? I’m super worried about that because that would ruin literally everything.

11 hours ago, ClinicalPsy said:

Thanks so much! This really helped me calm my nerves last night. Today wasn’t so bad. Not sure how confident I feel though but hopefully I did okay! The questions were definitely stimulating.

I like this program too! Unfortunately, I haven’t heard great things about the program this year either ? like they might lose their accreditation? I’m super worried about that because that would ruin literally everything.

You are very welcome  I’m glad it made you less nervous. 

At this point it’s my only offer, so I’m a little biased in terms of optimism. I sent emails asking the admissions director and a current student more questions about recent changes.

I saw that rumor about accreditation on here but I haven’t heard anything to back that claim up, nor have I heard about it from a credible source. Why would they lose accreditation?

What was your impression from last night? (Opposed to what you’ve heard on here)?

27 minutes ago, Regulateregulateregulate said:

You are very welcome  I’m glad it made you less nervous. 

At this point it’s my only offer, so I’m a little biased in terms of optimism. I sent emails asking the admissions director and a current student more questions about recent changes.

I saw that rumor about accreditation on here but I haven’t heard anything to back that claim up, nor have I heard about it from a credible source. Why would they lose accreditation?

What was your impression from last night? (Opposed to what you’ve heard on here)?

I really liked the interview process. It made me feel like they know this process is super stressful and tried to make it a little easier on us. I appreciated it being short, simple, and interactive. I wish they allowed more time for questions because I feel like they didn’t cover a lot of information about the program. The DCT also said match rates for internships weren't as high as usual this year so that worried me.

I like that the program focuses on a range of therapeutic approaches instead of just one orientation like some other programs I’ve interviewed at. I also like that you’re surrounded by mentors. You have a mentor, advisor, and 2 supervisors or something like that. Lots of resources to get you through the program. This program does seem more research heavy then other PsyD programs. The director said almost everyone accepted gets some type of RA scholarship so that’s nice too! The professors seemed like they really enjoy being there and that the graduates coming out of the program are very successful and trained to be the best! 

I have no idea why they would lost their accreditation. I’m not sure if it’s true but even knowing that there’s a rumor like that just doesn’t sit well with me. I’ll def need to ask around more. I also heard there’s some serious issues at the school (idk what) and that the director of the program got fired? There’s just a lot of weird rumors about this school. not sure if any of it is true but the fact that there’s stuff going around makes me question some things about the program. Idk what to think right now. I’m torn cause it’s a great program but seems to be going in a bad direction. 

1 hour ago, ClinicalPsy said:

I have no idea why they would lost their accreditation. I’m not sure if it’s true but even knowing that there’s a rumor like that just doesn’t sit well with me. I’ll def need to ask around more. I also heard there’s some serious issues at the school (idk what) and that the director of the program got fired? There’s just a lot of weird rumors about this school. not sure if any of it is true but the fact that there’s stuff going around makes me question some things about the program. Idk what to think right now. I’m torn cause it’s a great program but seems to be going in a bad direction. 

While there are changes happening, I think the program is well-established enough that it's not really in mortal danger. The faculty are experienced and well-respected. Many of them have been with the program for a long time. They are making changes in response to the situation, and to me they seem protective of their program and committed to advocating for students' best interests. Also, it's not like the class size is changing THAT much. I know they aren't accepting as many students (28) as last year, but I can't remember what number I was told during the interview. Either 23 or 25 students this year? 

The talk that's going around here definitely makes me nervous, but it's also clear to me that there are people on GradCafe who straight-up, maliciously lie in order to influence other applicants' decisions or to inspire doubt...

I think the students in the program who I've talked to are being really honest about the situation. The fact that they aren't sugar coating it makes me trust them more.

I'm going to PM you. 

17 hours ago, psychhopeful19 said:

Does anyone know how long it takes a program to send out another offer once an applicant denies an acceptance? 

I gather this will vary for each program - some probably send out offers to those on waitlist within a few days of receiving others denying acceptance and some may wait. I remember reading here someone heard in the beginning of June that they were accepted to a program off of waitlist. 

Hi everyone, has anyone heard back from Texas Tech University lately (PI AS)? I interviewed in February, and heard nothing since then. I saw on the results forum that a couple of people had been rejected or waitlisted there to another POI's lab, but I haven't heard anything at all about AS. 

I did reach out to him directly at the beginning of March, but he just said that my application was still under consideration. No updates since then, and I'm slowly unraveling here...I don't want to bother him again, but April 15th is just 3 weeks away ? Should I just assume a rejection/waitlist at this point? Any advice would be very welcome!!

2 hours ago, ClinicalPsychApplicant2021 said:

Hi everyone, has anyone heard back from Texas Tech University lately (PI AS)? I interviewed in February, and heard nothing since then. I saw on the results forum that a couple of people had been rejected or waitlisted there to another POI's lab, but I haven't heard anything at all about AS. 

I did reach out to him directly at the beginning of March, but he just said that my application was still under consideration. No updates since then, and I'm slowly unraveling here...I don't want to bother him again, but April 15th is just 3 weeks away ? Should I just assume a rejection/waitlist at this point? Any advice would be very welcome!!

I'm in the same place with a different lab at a different school. I've just assumed I've been rejected at this point and made plans to apply again next year...