Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

I got waitlisted at my PsyD program. They said that to officially be on the waitlist, I need to agree to pay the tuition deposit if I were to be accepted. Has anyone heard of this type of practice?

I know I don't have to pay unless accepted and that I don't necessarily have to go, but something doesn't sit right with me on this.

25 minutes ago, psychstudent21 said:

I got waitlisted at my PsyD program. They said that to officially be on the waitlist, I need to agree to pay the tuition deposit if I were to be accepted. Has anyone heard of this type of practice?

I know I don't have to pay unless accepted and that I don't necessarily have to go, but something doesn't sit right with me on this.

Are they asking you to pay the deposit now to hold your place on the waitlist or are they asking for confirmation that you would pay the deposit if you do get accepted. If the former, that's sketchy. If they are asking that you agree to pay the deposit if accepted, I don't see anything wrong with that. In order to formally accept an offer, you need to pay the deposit, so they need to know you'll pay it. How much is the deposit?

Just now, PsyDuck90 said:

Are they asking you to pay the deposit now to hold your place on the waitlist or are they asking for confirmation that you would pay the deposit if you do get accepted. If the former, that's sketchy. If they are asking that you agree to pay the deposit if accepted, I don't see anything wrong with that. In order to formally accept an offer, you need to pay the deposit, so they need to know you'll pay it. How much is the deposit?

They're saying that if I want to be on the wait list, I need to agree that if I was accepted that I would be contracted to pay the tuition deposit. Sort of like early decision in college, like if you get in, you have to go. Its about $500 so not much in the grand scheme of things, but my other option is to reapply next year or switch fields.

11 minutes ago, psychstudent21 said:

They're saying that if I want to be on the wait list, I need to agree that if I was accepted that I would be contracted to pay the tuition deposit. Sort of like early decision in college, like if you get in, you have to go. Its about $500 so not much in the grand scheme of things, but my other option is to reapply next year or switch fields.

It seems a little odd, but not totally out of the ordinary (as you said, colleges do it for early decision). However, the best option depends on what you intend to do. If you get off the waitlist, will you absolutely attend? If so, it's a wash. If you don't think so, then best to try and make that decision now. It wil also put you out of your waitlist misery. My deposit (different program) was also $500.  

On 3/12/2021 at 12:38 PM, SikeeeeYourMind said:

Hey everyone! I just wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on Nova and Mercer PsyD programs. I’m trying to decide between the two. I know Mercer is new program, but it seems like it has so much potential and all programs have to start somewhere. Then there’s Nova that’s seems to be a decent program in a nice location. Any thoughts on how to choose between the two? Has anyone been accepted to both & want to chat?

Does anyone know anything about the accreditation for Mercers PsyD program? I just received an interview invite but was never really sure about this program. It says their accreditation is under contingency? It’s unclear to me if they’re going to lose it and I don’t want to waste my time doing another interview if this school won’t even be accredited anymore. If anyone know anything, that would be great!! 

4 hours ago, ClinicalPsy said:

Does anyone know anything about the accreditation for Mercers PsyD program? I just received an interview invite but was never really sure about this program. It says their accreditation is under contingency? It’s unclear to me if they’re going to lose it and I don’t want to waste my time doing another interview if this school won’t even be accredited anymore. If anyone know anything, that would be great!! 

I don't know about Mercer, but I interviewed at a school that is also accredited under contingency and they said even if they lose it while attending (which they aren't planning on it), you still will have attended an APA accredited program (e.g. if they lose accreditation in first year, you're still accredited through graduation). I never followed up on this though since I was waitlisted. I wonder if anyone can confirm this is correct?

Just Heard back from the school I was waitlisted on, unfortunately I did not get in. I am a little disappointed that they sent me a generic rejection letter after I had been in contact  with them for awhile. But anyway, Who's ready to apply for the next term!

So I haven't heard back from the one school I was waitlisted at. The DCT of the program was very adamant about not reaching out to find out where you are on the waitlist and they would either contact you if you are moved off of waitlist to acceptance or if all their spots have filled. He did say you could reach out if you have received acceptances elsewhere, which I have not. I gather they haven't received all acceptances, but I was thinking of reaching out to my PI to express my interest still (I will note, someone is planning on or has already accepted under my PI). Should I reach out to my PI or just still wait it out. I do have an interview with a PsyD program in 10 days, but the program I'm waitlisted on is my first choice. 

42 minutes ago, PsychMomOf2 said:

I don't know about Mercer, but I interviewed at a school that is also accredited under contingency and they said even if they lose it while attending (which they aren't planning on it), you still will have attended an APA accredited program (e.g. if they lose accreditation in first year, you're still accredited through graduation). I never followed up on this though since I was waitlisted. I wonder if anyone can confirm this is correct?

That is not correct. If they are accredited when you graduate, then you graduate from an accredited institution. If you they are not accredited at the time you are graduating, then you are not graduating from an accredited institution. The status when you enter doesn't matter. It's the status when you finish. 

53 minutes ago, PsyDuck90 said:

That is not correct. If they are accredited when you graduate, then you graduate from an accredited institution. If you they are not accredited at the time you are graduating, then you are not graduating from an accredited institution. The status when you enter doesn't matter. It's the status when you finish. 

Good to know. Also upsetting that I was provided wrong information and possibly lied to (not sure purposely) but that is quite concerning. 

12 minutes ago, PsychMomOf2 said:

Good to know. Also upsetting that I was provided wrong information and possibly lied to (not sure purposely) but that is quite concerning. 

They may have just had the information incorrect? My program went through this process, and my advisor had a large role in preparing and submitting all of the documentation for initial on contingency accreditation and full accreditation, so I got to see some of the information and process (it's a lot lol), so it may just be something they misunderstood. There was a lot to know. 

To the person who posted an acceptance to Palo Alto but was deferred/put on the waitlist: Did you get offered an acceptance and then they put you on the waitlist since spots filled up? I was waitlisted after my interview, so I want to know if there is any hope!

54 minutes ago, _pink_freud_ said:

To the person who posted an acceptance to Palo Alto but was deferred/put on the waitlist: Did you get offered an acceptance and then they put you on the waitlist since spots filled up? I was waitlisted after my interview, so I want to know if there is any hope!

Has anyone heard anything since being waitlisted from PGSP-Stanford's PsyD program?

On 4/8/2021 at 1:26 PM, PsychMomOf2 said:

Has anyone here interviewed with PCOM? If so, can you provide some insight into how your interview went? It seems as there are no 1 on 1 interviews? And anyone here currently attend PCOM? If so, did you apply for assistantship and receive assistantship funding? 

i interviewed on 3/22 and loved it. it was a group discussion where you are with a professor and break into teams. you debate a topic on both sides. then there’s a writing portion, a 1:1 interview with faculty, and a current student panel at the end. good luck to you! i’m hoping to hear back this week. 

2 hours ago, veganpsych said:

i interviewed on 3/22 and loved it. it was a group discussion where you are with a professor and break into teams. you debate a topic on both sides. then there’s a writing portion, a 1:1 interview with faculty, and a current student panel at the end. good luck to you! i’m hoping to hear back this week. 

This is incredibly helpful, thank you! A writing piece though, that has me nervous ?. Good luck to you, I will be crossing my fingers for you!

11 hours ago, sippolito said:

Got accepted at Fairleigh Dickinson for clinical phd, if any other prospective students want to connect, feel free to message me!

Congrats! I just sent you a private message with my contact info to connect. The DCT extended an offer to me via phone this past weekend. Hope to hear from you soon...