Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

33 minutes ago, clinicallystressed said:

Hi!

This has seemed like such a supportive group of people and would really value your input! I am trying to decide between the Clinical Psychology PsyD program at William James College and the Combined School-Clinical Child Psychology PsyD program at Yeshiva University.

I feel very fortunate to be in such a position, but any input would be so helpful and appreciated!!

Between those 2, I would go with Yeshiva. If you look at the outcomes data, it's a safer bet. Much smaller cohort sizes (William James had 103 incoming students last year compared to 20 in Yeshiva's combined program) and even with a captive APA-accredited internship (which is half time for 2 years, and also not great), William James still doesn't have a 100% APA-accredited internship match rate, and it looks like the match rates hovered at or below 50% prior to the start of the captive internship, meaning the bulk of these students were not nationally competitive for internship. Yeshiva reports a 100% APA-accredited match rate for students who applied to accredited sites last year, with a cumulative 72.2% matching to accredited sites of all students when factoring in those who did not go the APA-accredited match route (which makes sense if a portion of the students were interested in pursuing school psychology only, as that doesn't require an APA-accredited internship). Although, it is a little odd that the outcomes data for Yeshiva'a combined PsyD is not easily accessible on the website, since that is a requirement for APA accreditation. I eventually found it on the APA directory. 

Edited by PsyDuck90
Added more specific information regarding outcome stats for both programs.

40 minutes ago, COVID19Sucks said:

I was very fortunate to have a transparent relationship with them regarding this. It was agonizing waiting and almost committed elsewhere. Email the PIs this is part of their job as a professor. 

Thank you so much! Yeah I've been getting a lot of "we don't know yet about the funding but we will know on April 15th"

15 minutes ago, PsyDuck90 said:

Between those 2, I would go with Yeshiva. If you look at the outcomes data, it's a safer bet. Much smaller cohort sizes (William James had 103 incoming students last year compared to 20 in Yeshiva's combined program) and even with a captive APA-accredited internship (which is half time for 2 years, and also not great), William James still doesn't have a 100% APA-accredited internship match rate, and it looks like the match rates hovered at or below 50% prior to the start of the captive internship, meaning the bulk of these students were not nationally competitive for internship. Yeshiva reports a 100% APA-accredited match rate for students who applied to accredited sites last year, with a cumulative 72.2% matching to accredited sites of all students when factoring in those who did not go the APA-accredited match route (which makes sense if a portion of the students were interested in pursuing school psychology only, as that doesn't require an APA-accredited internship). Although, it is a little odd that the outcomes data for Yeshiva'a combined PsyD is not easily accessible on the website, since that is a requirement for APA accreditation. I eventually found it on the APA directory. 

Wow, I am constantly amazed by this community! While I've looked at these numbers, it definitely feels reassuring also hearing it from another person! I really appreciate this response! I've found this process to be tough, not having too much support - I wish I found this site earlier!

15 minutes ago, psychhopeful19 said:

Thank you so much! Yeah I've been getting a lot of "we don't know yet about the funding but we will know on April 15th"

Yeah, of course! I was dealing with more or less of the same since the beginning of March! I interviewed Feb 12th since then I’ve been trying to see the status of the program. Best of luck, stay strong. 

3 hours ago, clinicallystressed said:

Wow, I am constantly amazed by this community! While I've looked at these numbers, it definitely feels reassuring also hearing it from another person! I really appreciate this response! I've found this process to be tough, not having too much support - I wish I found this site earlier!

Okay now I’m curious! I’m accepted to both Adler and La Salle for PsyD programs. Anyone have any advice or recommendations on where to accept? I am more interested in Adlerian/psychodynamic approaches but not enough to screw myself in the long run.

29 minutes ago, dinosauri9 said:

Okay now I’m curious! I’m accepted to both Adler and La Salle for PsyD programs. Anyone have any advice or recommendations on where to accept? I am more interested in Adlerian/psychodynamic approaches but not enough to screw myself in the long run.

Definitely La Salle. Adler's cohort is about twice the size (58 at Adler vs 22 at La Salle). The APA-accredited internship match rate is better at La Salle than Adler (96% vs 86% which is really a much bigger difference since more students applying at Adler). EPPP pass rates are also better (89% vs 66%). Overall, La Salle has a better reputation in the field as well. Tuition also seems to be cheaper (although the debt burden of both isn't really something to sneeze at).   

49 minutes ago, PsyDuck90 said:

Definitely La Salle. Adler's cohort is about twice the size (58 at Adler vs 22 at La Salle). The APA-accredited internship match rate is better at La Salle than Adler (96% vs 86% which is really a much bigger difference since more students applying at Adler). EPPP pass rates are also better (89% vs 66%). Overall, La Salle has a better reputation in the field as well. Tuition also seems to be cheaper (although the debt burden of both isn't really something to sneeze at).   

Everyone has such good advice I'm curious too! Does anyone know about Kean vs LIU Post PsyD programs? I have also been admitted to St. John's. Thoughts about any of these would be super appreciated thanks!!

30 minutes ago, ltr221 said:

Everyone has such good advice I'm curious too! Does anyone know about Kean vs LIU Post PsyD programs? I have also been admitted to St. John's. Thoughts about any of these would be super appreciated thanks!!

Did you get into Kean? When did you interview and when did you hear back? Did they offer any money or GA position?

4 minutes ago, psychstudent21 said:

Did you get into Kean? When did you interview and when did you hear back? Did they offer any money or GA position?

I interviewed in late February and was accepted March 24th. I wasn't offered money or a GA position.

Just now, ltr221 said:

I interviewed in late February and was accepted March 24th. I wasn't offered money or a GA position.

Congratulations!! I interviewed in late Feb and just heard back that I am on the wait list. No pressure or anything to decide. I was just trying to figure out when decisions came out compared to when I found out. Good luck with your decision!

22 minutes ago, Fall21Hopeful said:

Should I expect to hear some form of communication from my waitlisted program by the 15th? Even if nothing's changed with my status and the spots are still not yet filled, will they at least tell me that?

I'm wondering as well. They SHOULD provide updates as soon as possible. Just know you aren't alone. One more week - then we can reach out. 

Also - this is helpful: https://cudcp.wildapricot.org/Resources/Documents/CUDCP Policy on Graduate Program Offers and Acceptances (FULL version).pdf

Edited by BusyBee9

2 hours ago, ltr221 said:

FYI, programs are required to post their student admissions outcome data as part of maintaining APA-accreditation, so this data is publicly available on their websites. 

The following numbers are all for 2019, except for EPPP pass rates, as the latest data is for 2017 for some reason. 

Kean: incoming class size: 12, APA-accredited internship match rate: 80% (1 person went for a non-APA-accredited internship), EPPP pass rate: 100%, and cost: $24,674 per year out of state, $20,178 per year in state

LIU Post: incoming class size: 22, APA-accredited internship match rate: 100%, EPPP pass rate: 83.87%, and cost: $52,964 per year (yikes!)

St. John's, you didn't specify Clinical PhD or School PsyD, so here are both.

PhD: incoming class size: 10, APA-accredited internship match rate: 100%, EPPP pass rate: 90%, and cost: $45,600 per year, but it appears all students get assistantship with full tuition waiver. 

School PsyD: incoming class: 17, APA-accredited internship match rate: 9% (very worrisome. School psychology does not require an APA-accredited internship, but these numbers are still very surprisingly low especially compared to EPPP pass rates, since that means these students were interested in pursuing clinical licensure as school psychology does not require it), EPPP pass rate: 85.19%, and cost: $33,480 per year

If the St. John's offer was for the PhD, I would rank St. John's first and a toss up between Kean and LIU based on research fit. The match rate at LIU is better, but it is twice as expensive. The Kean EPPP pass rate is 100%, which makes me think that the 1 person who didn't go the APA-accredited internship route was not interested in clinical licensure at all. 

If St. John's is the PsyD, I would rank that program last. 

13 hours ago, psychstudent21 said:

Congratulations!! I interviewed in late Feb and just heard back that I am on the wait list. No pressure or anything to decide. I was just trying to figure out when decisions came out compared to when I found out. Good luck with your decision!

Heyy Yes I was told yesterday that I was on the waitlist but I never even did an interview with them lol

31 minutes ago, Biopsychosocialyzing said:

Are a lot of you still holding on to offers? I am still on two waitlists but getting super nervous as we are only a week out from the 15th.. I was pretty hopeful about it but feeling less so at this point. 

I heard that the 15th is the last day for applicants to accept offers, but that schools can still extend more offers after that date. So you could still hear back from a school after that deadline!

Nav.psych is correct. It's unlikely there will be significant waitlist movement until after the April 15th deadline. People who are still holding offers are waiting and hoping for their top choice. Those people will then start releasing offers after the 11th hour, which will then cause some movement on waitlists. I think it's more common for people to get off the waitlist after the April 15th deadline than before. 

Since April 15th is a week away. I was wondering if any of you have any advice on William James College PsyD offer vs. Pacific University PsyD waitlist (high rank) or...re-apply next year and hoping the cycle won't be as crazy as this one? Thank you so much!

1 hour ago, chochomeow said:

Since April 15th is a week away. I was wondering if any of you have any advice on William James College PsyD offer vs. Pacific University PsyD waitlist (high rank) or...re-apply next year and hoping the cycle won't be as crazy as this one? Thank you so much!

If you see the post I made (I think on page 140, maybe 139) of someone else asking about William James, and their outcomes data leaves a lot to be desired. The cohorts are massive, the debt load is insane, and the EPPP and APA-accredited internship match rates are not good, especially when you factor in they had to create a captive internship to inflate their APA-accredited match rate. Pacific has many of the same issues, although their EPPP pass rate looks pretty good (data only available for 2017).

Has anyone here interviewed with PCOM? If so, can you provide some insight into how your interview went? It seems as there are no 1 on 1 interviews? And anyone here currently attend PCOM? If so, did you apply for assistantship and receive assistantship funding? 

Keeping busy with kids and work and honestly just trying to make it day to day.. have a hard time distracting myself but thankful it’s only a week until the 15th. Really hope people will make decisions soon though and things might get moving before the 15th.. 

1 hour ago, psychhopeful19 said:

I know at this point we probably will only hear back after the 15th

How have y'all been distracting yourself while you wait? 

It's been hard because whether I'm doing work, school (I'm graduating with my MA in Psych next month) and homeschooling my girls, I still often think about not hearing about my one waitlist and if I have a chance of getting in this year (which seems to diminish as the days go on). I also constantly think of how little my chance is getting of the waitlist since I doubt my mentor will be able to accept two students (I think I have a better chance getting hit by lightning at this point). I just try and keep on keeping on.