Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

8 hours ago, psychapplicant21 said:

Does anyone know if USC is done with interview invites? 

I received the below email from USC I today.

“We have a large increase in applications this cycle, so timing might be stretched. Faculty typically start contacting applicants early on and sometimes all the way into April.  However, the majority of the formal interviews are done within February.  All applicants are considered, until they receive a deny letter.”

Good luck! 

8 hours ago, plantgirl96 said:

That's what I wanna know!! does any brave soul wanna email the office of admissions to gain some insight?

Haha I’m not a brave soul but I went for it and emailed  psych admissions last week. Just today received the below response:

“We have a large increase in applications this cycle, so timing might be stretched. Faculty typically start contacting applicants early on and sometimes all the way into April.  However, the majority of the formal interviews are done within February.  All applicants are considered, until they receive a deny letter.”

Good luck!

13 hours ago, PyschMama said:

I feel ya, which makes it even scarier to think it's almost Friday. I will genuinely be a hot mess by next Friday if it's still radio salience by then :( anyone think about emailing programs? that's probs a big no no?

I’ve went ahead and email three program coordinators, none of whom gave me a a negative response.

I’ve also directly emailed PIs in past cycles  and never received any rude response. In fact, all of them were quite kind(even gentle) in their response.

I think to some extend they understand the crippling anxiety application season can create...

Best of luck!

Anyone heard from Boston University(PI: ACG) or Washington University in St. Louis(PI: DH)

I emailed psych grad admissions last week. For WUSTL was told applications are still in review and  interviews have been not been extended. From BU I heard they invites will likely be extended this week for interviews on February 5th. However, have seen nothing yet posted about either program this week. 

Also, does anyone know the chances of being invited to an interview of alternate at University of Florida of when we can expect to hear back. Seems like the chances of securing an interview are  slim to none since so many waitlist alternate emails went out ?

15 minutes ago, hg92 said:

Anyone heard from Boston University(PI: ACG) or Washington University in St. Louis(PI: DH)

I emailed psych grad admissions last week. For WUSTL was told applications are still in review and  interviews have been not been extended. From BU I heard they invites will likely be extended this week for interviews on February 5th. However, have seen nothing yet posted about either program this week. 

Also, does anyone know the chances of being invited to an interview of alternate at University of Florida of when we can expect to hear back. Seems like the chances of securing an interview are  slim to none since so many waitlist alternate emails went out ?

We applied to the same exact mentors ? haven’t heard anything from BU or WUSTL. I spoke with ACG and she was saying she may not have funding as an FYI! She said she wouldn’t know until after apps were due. As for UF, depends on your PI perhaps? I got an interview, so I’m not sure about the waitlist! Best of luck!

Edited by clincpsych1010

25 minutes ago, clincpsych1010 said:

We applied to the same exact mentors ? haven’t heard anything from BU or WUSTL. I spoke with ACG and she was saying she may not have funding as an FYI! She said she wouldn’t know until after apps were due. As for UF, depends on your PI perhaps? I got an interview, so I’m not sure about the waitlist! Best of luck!

32 minutes ago, hg92 said:

I also applied to these same mentors! I had a prelim Zoom interview with DH from WUSTL in early January but was not selected for formal interviews. She said she had a ton of competitive applicants but only 1 available interview slot :( so I believe she sent out her final invites already -- sorry to be bearer of bad news.  On another note, I have not heard from ACG either!

11 minutes ago, Bye2020 said:

I also applied to these same mentors! I had a prelim Zoom interview with DH from WUSTL in early January but was not selected for formal interviews. She said she had a ton of competitive applicants but only 1 available interview slot :( so I believe she sent out her final invites already -- sorry to be bearer of bad news.  On another note, I have not heard from ACG either!

Sorry to hear that! Thanks so much for letting us know though!

8 hours ago, chamomile tea said:

hi everyone! is anyone an international student applying to a program in the US, or an American student applying elsewhere? i was just wondering if the US has a different process for considering international applicants or if it's more competitive because of the pandemic or something like that. i'm Canadian and noticed that almost all the schools in Canada i applied to were not even considering international applicants. and this could be totally unrelated but i've heard back from several Canadian schools but from none in the US so far. just thought i'd ask to see if anyone is having a similar experience!

I'm an international student applying to the US (I have 3 interviews so far). Honestly the process is not any different in terms of the application. The only thing that is different is you need an F1 visa. Also some PIs/programs may not fund international students but pretty much all of the ones I came across in the US do.

16 hours ago, EileanDonan said:

A lot of this begs the real question: what is separating those who are likely to be accepted from the rest? And is there anything the rest of us can do to place ourselves in that position?

This is the dirty secret: Applicants who already have pre-established connections to their identified mentors through their current or previous PI will always have the edge in applications. It’s the same deal in job applications for any career field: Employers trust who they know.

Edited by JoePianist

13 hours ago, txpsychology said:

Hi all - Need help.

I'm driving myself insane. So, one of the schools I applied to sent out interview invites about 1.5 - 2 weeks ago. I assumed a rejection due to not getting an invite. However, I never received an e-mail stating anything else (no official rejection, no "check your portal", whatever). I just looked at the results page (as I obsessively refresh every couple hours while I'm at work lol), and someone got a "check your portal" e-mail today that was ultimately a rejection. So I checked my e-mail - nada. Checked my portal - nada. I feel like I'm in a weird limbo. I've never applied to doctoral programs. So, WTH? If I'm not interviewed, and not notified of rejection, am I maybe waitlisted for an interview? Or maybe they forgot me lol 

Thank you, anxiety, for this endless spiral of "what the hell" 

You’re only waitlisted for an interview if the program tells you so.

11 hours ago, seeyounextyear said:

Ugh thank you so much! I had been going to her lab's meetings every week for the whole semester and then to hear this is just heartbreaking. And not to mention this is my second year applying to work with her. She said I was an alternate but everyone said yes to interview. Thank you for the kind words

Damn, that’s legitimately brutal. Hopefully you get accepted elsewhere so that this POI regrets not extending you an invite.

Has anyone heard from the Counseling PhD programs at Maryland (College Park), Lehigh, Univ of Tennessee (Knoxville), or Colorado State? I feel like i’ve seen the occasional chatter about Tennessee and Lehigh but can’t tell if they’re done extending invites 

9 hours ago, hg92 said:

9 hours ago, clincpsych1010 said:

8 hours ago, Bye2020 said:

Also applied to the same PIs ? I’d love to stay connected with you all throughout this process. 

4 hours ago, clinpsych2021 said:

did anyone hear that harvard is experiencing budget cuts and might be only taking 1 student this year??? how true is this omg

One student? So only 1 PI is taking a student? Oh my goodness, that is insane.

23 minutes ago, natb96 said:

Has anyone heard from the Counseling PhD programs at Maryland (College Park), Lehigh, Univ of Tennessee (Knoxville), or Colorado State? I feel like i’ve seen the occasional chatter about Tennessee and Lehigh but can’t tell if they’re done extending invites 

I haven't heard anything from Lehigh nor UTK. I heard about UTK's interview invites, too. So I'm assuming that as a rejection for now.

Edited by anindianchick

9 minutes ago, clinpsych2021 said:

someone said it on the slack... i think they'd talked to a current harvard student in the clinical psych program 

Lol at least the graduation ceremony will be like 15 minutes long now

Also, anyone hear from University of Minnesota - Twin Cities? I work in a research lab there and the doctoral student I work with mentioned that UMN has started interviewing this year. But anyone know specifically about counseling PhD program?