Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

On 1/21/2021 at 1:40 PM, RebeccaPsych said:

Hi all,

I'm curious. Is anyone else here interested in researching self-harm? And if so, where did you apply? I had a tough time finding a lot of programs to apply to. So, now that I'm sitting, waiting for interviews, I'm wondering more and more about my program fit. 

On 1/21/2021 at 2:03 PM, PsychBear92 said:

Hey there!

I'm interested in researching self-harm and suicide! I will say that it seems like a niche area, but I found quite a few programs and POIs that would support my interests. I'm sure we applied to similar people and universities, and from your list of programs applied to in your signature I would say you chose some great ones. Is this your first round applying? You're welcome to DM me to chat about programs!

On 1/21/2021 at 2:13 PM, nmoyers97 said:

Hey! I'm also curious about this - could I dm you?

Hello all. I know of many PIs that study self-harm and suicide (some of my interests). Would be happy to discuss and would also be thankful if you could share any with me too! DM me! 

10 minutes ago, higaisha said:

out of reacts but thank you!

Of course! Totally not trying to get anyone's hopes up but thought this might be important info to share. This response has at least reduced a little bit of my stress. :) Wishing you lots of luck. 

9 hours ago, natb96 said:

Has anyone heard from the Counseling PhD programs at Maryland (College Park), Lehigh, Univ of Tennessee (Knoxville), or Colorado State? I feel like i’ve seen the occasional chatter about Tennessee and Lehigh but can’t tell if they’re done extending invites 

I’ve heard back from Maryland and UTK in December. 

On 1/20/2021 at 1:19 PM, silvicultrix said:

Hey all, just wondering, have any of you heard from UMD college park? My PI is AG. I saw one interview on the results board, but haven't seen anything since so unsure if invites have already gone out. I so appreciate everyone's willingness to share information and be collaborative on here!

Hi, I had a preliminary interview with AG in December, but was not invited to formal interviews- she contacted me within a week after the interview to let me know. I'm not sure if everyone has been contacted yet, but just sharing my experience! Good luck!

2 hours ago, xChrisx said:

Hey,

Do you know whether interview invites have gone out yet?

I haven't heard anything yet. I had a prelim late Dec and was told they'd be meeting to discuss who to extend interviews to 1/12 and their interview day will be 2/16 (Counseling PhD, Lynch School). Hoping we hear back soon. 

6 hours ago, rainbow56 said:

First of all 100% in the same boat with having a hard time focusing/staying motivated at work right now. This process is so grueling and going through it during all the current contexts just makes everything so much more difficult and heavy. Everyone reading this please be gentle with yourself and practice what we hope to preach. Prioritize self care right now.

I just want to chime in that if this is truly what you want to do, do not give up. I was in the same place this time last year during my second cycle. Truly feeling as though I could not bear this process again; emotionally, financially, all the things. A year later and I feel SO grateful that things didn't work out the way I had hoped/expected last cycle. On my third cycle now I feel so much better prepared (mentally, skills-wise, more focused on my goals for grad programs and beyond) and this year I have SO many more options on the table (4x as many invites for fully funded programs) including my top choice program I've been trying to get into for years. 

I know it is so hard in this moment, and backup plans just don't feel like they can stack up yet start to feel like the only option, but if you truly want to pursue this field in this way do not lose hope. If you have to reapply next year inquire about application fee waivers and other financial resources, this really helped me this year. It is easy to feel like life is flying by and that taking another year will be a "waste of a year" but that extra year can be so formative if you make it and can lead to even better opportunities the next cycle. 

I agree with this 100%. My first application cycle, I applied to 12 programs. And I was rejected from all but one, which was unfortunately a poor fit for myself and my wife. With much more preparation, I’ve had a better go around this time. I fully echo everything that rainbow is saying, think creatively about how you can get involved. Not just with students but with the professionals, volunteers for APA committees, explore the different webinars for networking, etc.

I really was not ready for how stressful it would be AFTER submitting applications. This is my first cycle, and I've heard from one program (UMD College Park- had prelim, but not invited to formal interviews) but have not heard anything from anywhere else. I applied only to 6 programs all in the DC area or nearby so I'm sure that's a limitation, but wow I never would have guessed how overwhelming this gets. 

Good luck to everyone else out there! I'm new to gradcafe, but it's nice to have somewhere to talk to people who understand this whole process. 

My heart just stopped when I saw the Wright Institute on the Results page, and it was someone asking a question that belongs here. PLEASE ask questions here, not the results page. That is just for listing results. 

Edited by Psy-aye-aye

1 hour ago, K3lD1Psych said:

Hello all. I know of many PIs that study self-harm and suicide (some of my interests). Would be happy to discuss and would also be thankful if you could share any with me too! DM me! :) Ignore my school list below. Other than Notre Dame and Fordham, the rest aren't on there for reasons I'll describe in DM if you want to know (e.g., location and my POTS).

OMG i also want to study suicide/self harm and applied to a couple of labs where this is researched!! feel free to dm!

1 hour ago, heregoesnothing said:

Hi, I had a preliminary interview with AG in December, but was not invited to formal interviews- she contacted me within a week after the interview to let me know. I'm not sure if everyone has been contacted yet, but just sharing my experience! Good luck!

Thanks so much for letting me know! This is so helpful. I hadn't realized she was doing preliminaries. 

I saw that someone had posted an official rejection from The University of Georgia from the graduate school on the results page and was wondering if anyone else got this. I've only gotten one email from them that clearly stated I hadn't been officially rejected, but I also hadn't been chosen for any interviews. Wondering if this is a new email or the person just misread that one. Thanks! 

8 hours ago, rainbow56 said:

First of all 100% in the same boat with having a hard time focusing/staying motivated at work right now. This process is so grueling and going through it during all the current contexts just makes everything so much more difficult and heavy. Everyone reading this please be gentle with yourself and practice what we hope to preach. Prioritize self care right now.

I just want to chime in that if this is truly what you want to do, do not give up. I was in the same place this time last year during my second cycle. Truly feeling as though I could not bear this process again; emotionally, financially, all the things. A year later and I feel SO grateful that things didn't work out the way I had hoped/expected last cycle. On my third cycle now I feel so much better prepared (mentally, skills-wise, more focused on my goals for grad programs and beyond) and this year I have SO many more options on the table (4x as many invites for fully funded programs) including my top choice program I've been trying to get into for years. 

I know it is so hard in this moment, and backup plans just don't feel like they can stack up yet start to feel like the only option, but if you truly want to pursue this field in this way do not lose hope. If you have to reapply next year inquire about application fee waivers and other financial resources, this really helped me this year. It is easy to feel like life is flying by and that taking another year will be a "waste of a year" but that extra year can be so formative if you make it and can lead to even better opportunities the next cycle. 

(big hugs) ?

8 hours ago, rainbow56 said:

Absolutely! Anyone can DM me as well if they want to chat :) (Apologies in advance for how long this is)

Since last cycle I ended up maintaining a connection with a PI I interviewed with and was waitlisted for last year (obviously didn't end up getting in) and we have been working together on a research project. I cannot stress enough that if you end up getting waitlisted at schools you interview for and nothing else works out keep those connections and make it clear you are still very interested in their work/program and plan to re-apply for their lab next cycle if they accept a student again. Then mention briefly that you would love to collaborate on research with them should any opportunities be available. If they seem receptive to that, follow up a few months later and show you are truly interesting in that connection/opportunity. 

I also ended up getting really lucky and finding work on a study that is directly related to my research interests, so that gave me a tonnnn of really thorough and focused experience. This really helped me to be more refined in my interests and showed that I had experience in it and know that is what I want to work with.

In this study I was also able to get extensive experience both with research and clinical work, as I conducted 100+ clinical interviews with participants. If you have any opportunities for research work that also allow you to integrate direct clinical work with your population, that is so helpful in showing you are a well rounded candidate for all the demands of these programs. 

Lastly it is allllll about connections. Immediately after finding out I wasn't getting in last cycle I spent months reviewing each and every program and each and every faculty member in every clinical phd program to find the best fits and build a list I could share with my colleagues in the field. I know networking it literally everyone's least favorite thing but it is SO important. I reached out to past and current colleagues/professors, colleagues of colleagues, and shared with them both my potential programs and POIs. From there I was able to form a few connections with faculty in the programs and I feel that gave me a HUGE leg up not only in having a connection but also being able to say I already spoke with someone in the program and have more info on it than just from the website and from that I am really interested in your program for xyz reasons (shows dedication and thorough interest). 

Hope this helps with trying to organize thoughts for your year in between cycles, though I hope it doesn't come to that for you :) Wishing everyone luck! 

Yup – As I said earlier, applicants with existing connections to their potential POI will nearly always have the edge in applications. Very happy to hear this worked out for you, @rainbow56!

Edited by JoePianist

8 hours ago, justacigar said:

I also heard about another invite in the Slack group this morning. So far it does seem PI specific and I haven't seen anything about my PI, but it's also possible they aren't on the forums. Just sort of preparing for the worst I guess! It's hard to balance having hope but not so much hope that you are crushed later ?

Hi @justacigarwould you mind sharing is this was child or adult? TY!