2021 Applicants

I’m about to just bite the bullet and email Emory. They are my only application left pending. ?

I shouldn’t be surprised by thier long response time though. I applied in 2018 and didn’t get a rejection till April.

Just now, Oklash said:

I’m about to just bite the bullet and email Emory. They are my only application left pending. ?

I shouldn’t be surprised by thier long response time though. I applied in 2018 and didn’t get a rejection till April.

Best of luck and let us know if you get a response! 

Hellooo gradcafe friends! I was wondering has anyone received some news from buffalo comp lit MA program? I saw a PhD acceptance on the result page and a former reply in this thread that PhD acceptances have been sent out already, but I'm not sure what happens to the MA program admission... Is this normal that MA admission decision would take much longer?

42 minutes ago, currency said:

Hellooo gradcafe friends! I was wondering has anyone received some news from buffalo comp lit MA program? I saw a PhD acceptance on the result page and a former reply in this thread that PhD acceptances have been sent out already, but I'm not sure what happens to the MA program admission... Is this normal that MA admission decision would take much longer?

Not sure about Buffalo specifically, but MA decisions usually come out later 

16 minutes ago, queenofcarrotflowers said:

You too!! It's a painful process ?

Painful and vicarious too! I haven't applied this year but every time I read about this purgatory (of waiting) I can sense some brain and gut cells dying. Just the anticipation of what it might be like next season is killing! 

On 2/21/2021 at 9:12 PM, Arrrgghhhh said:

That’s the only thing that makes sense, unless it’s some weird alphabetical thing because my last name begins with V. But it seems that whenever I have a renewed sense of hope, I get an email an hour later explaining to me why that hope was stupid. 

Also still waiting to hear anything back from UCLA... What field are you guys in? Maybe decisions still have to be made in our field...

7 hours ago, currency said:

I literally have been wondering the same thing...it seems as if for a lot of schools, PhDs come out before MAs. But for others, they don't. I've only heard back from two of the programs I've applied to so far.

3 minutes ago, Shake829 said:

Reaching out to CUNY to find out more about the status of those of us who have yet to hear back. Will update the forum when (or if) I receive a response. 

you are an angel. I have been teaching all morning and this is LIVING in the back of my mind. 

1 hour ago, lilgreenblatt said:

I literally have been wondering the same thing...it seems as if for a lot of schools, PhDs come out before MAs. But for others, they don't. I've only heard back from two of the programs I've applied to so far.

?This cycle is... ah! Anyway lets say at least "no news" is the confirmed absence of bad news. Fingers crossed for both of us!!

Hey guys! I have an informal meeting over Zoom with my top POI at Davis (where I've been accepted) later this afternoon. I know I have some specific questions pertaining to my studies/the program itself which I'd like to ask him - does anyone have recommendations as to what other things I should probably ask as well? My mind is going a bit blank because I'm nervous and want to be sure I'm asking the right things and getting as much information as I can (without overwhelming them, of course)!

Thanks in advance friends!!

Not sure if this should be in a separate thread, but I’m curious how people are feeling about the strangeness of virtual visits. Some are starting as early next week, and while in some ways being virtual makes these visits much more accessible, I’m also concerned about how much we’ll really be able to glean about a program over Zoom. It seems like a fine medium though which to meet faculty and current students… but it seems like a really limited way to actually get a sense of the atmosphere of the program—I’m particularly concerned about only being able to virtually “visit” schools that are in cities I’ve never been to! 

Also, to echo @clara salmon: for those who have been through this process before, I’m curious if you have any insights for how to make the most out of a visit. Are there any questions you’re particularly glad you asked, or questions you wish you had asked while visiting (or, in this case, “visiting”)? 

1 hour ago, Shake829 said:

Reaching out to CUNY to find out more about the status of those of us who have yet to hear back. Will update the forum when (or if) I receive a response. 

No response as of yet. I think it is safe to assume that if the DGS ignores my email, we should expect rejection. I know that some directors don’t like giving rejections by email because they’d rather just wait for the admissions team to update the portal.

4 minutes ago, sadevilminion said:

Alright yall, UT Austin just updated my status from "in review" to "Your file has been forwarded to the Graduate Committee for review." I know the general consensus is this doesn't mean anything, but my heart is now in my throat.

I feel ya- movement without any answers is beyond stressful.

38 minutes ago, clara salmon said:

Hey guys! I have an informal meeting over Zoom with my top POI at Davis (where I've been accepted) later this afternoon. I know I have some specific questions pertaining to my studies/the program itself which I'd like to ask him - does anyone have recommendations as to what other things I should probably ask as well? My mind is going a bit blank because I'm nervous and want to be sure I'm asking the right things and getting as much information as I can (without overwhelming them, of course)!

Congrats! I went to one of these last year when I was waitlisted at a school, and I think it’s super important to note that they don’t expect you to have all of the answers and to know/ask everything about the program at this stage. When I met with my POI last year, she said that she could tell that I was nervous, and she emphasized that I should relax, because I was just starting and she didn’t expect me to know exactly where my studies would go or to even ask questions about how we should tackle my research. She jokingly said that before me, two people asked her about their future dissertation and where she thought it would go. She said that she has just as many answers about that as they do—aka zero!

They’re mostly looking to meet you. They read about you and read your work, and now they just want to learn more about you and your interests (generally). They will answer questions if you have them, obviously, but they’re not expecting you to ask all of the “right” questions. Relax and remember, they’re not going to take away your admission because you didn’t ask a specific question. 

45 minutes ago, clara salmon said:

Hi! This list of questions might be helpful: https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/62633-campus-visits/?do=findComment&comment=1058227359

9 minutes ago, sadevilminion said:

Alright yall, UT Austin just updated my status from "in review" to "Your file has been forwarded to the Graduate Committee for review." I know the general consensus is this doesn't mean anything, but my heart is now in my throat.

I checked my status with them online when someone mentioned a change recently and I saw mine says "incomplete" ? So I've decided to no longer check their portal (mostly because I know it's completed, everything on the checklist is done)... hopefully the change means news for everyone soon though!

37 minutes ago, languageisaskin said:

Not sure if this should be in a separate thread, but I’m curious how people are feeling about the strangeness of virtual visits. Some are starting as early next week, and while in some ways being virtual makes these visits much more accessible, I’m also concerned about how much we’ll really be able to glean about a program over Zoom. It seems like a fine medium though which to meet faculty and current students… but it seems like a really limited way to actually get a sense of the atmosphere of the program—I’m particularly concerned about only being able to virtually “visit” schools that are in cities I’ve never been to! 

Also, to echo @clara salmon: for those who have been through this process before, I’m curious if you have any insights for how to make the most out of a visit. Are there any questions you’re particularly glad you asked, or questions you wish you had asked while visiting (or, in this case, “visiting”)? 

Agreed about the virtual visits point. They're definitely no replacement and I do wish I could visit the campus itself to get a better idea of the environment (even though it's across the country).

Also, I might have used the wrong language in my original post - I'm meeting individually with the faculty member at Davis whom I am most interested in working with! They suggested a casual video call to ask them any questions about academic/everyday life on campus as well as questions pertaining specifically to their research. Sorry for the lack of clarity there. There is a separate virtual visit in March that I plan on attending, too, though!

1 hour ago, clara salmon said:

Is this in the English department? I did the same in Comp Lit. I asked about the program (some specifics about the degree process and requirements, especially how my MA could be utilized to help cut down on my coursework), I asked a lot about TA-ships (since that is part of my funding deal), and about the place itself (where to live, etc - I have a family so I have other considerations to take into account in this respect). 

My specialization is a bit unusual for the department, so we talked a bit about crossover areas of interest, etc. I did a TON of research ahead of time, read the grad handbook, degree requirements, and so on, to make sure I got to ask all the clarifying questions I felt I needed at this point. You will never be able to ask everything, but you are starting the conversation and will be able to follow up, via email, should other questions arise. Your questions will be specific to your situation, but just know you won't think to ask everything. You will get lots of info and will probably come up with more questions as you chat. 

I've also been up for a visit campus and Davis since talking with folks in my department and would be happy to share my impressions of the physical space via PM, if that would be helpful to you. I didn't meet with anyone in person, but took a drive around and did some exploring. 

Hope your chat is helpful and informative!

52 minutes ago, kirbs005 said:

I checked my status with them online when someone mentioned a change recently and I saw mine says "incomplete" ? So I've decided to no longer check their portal (mostly because I know it's completed, everything on the checklist is done)... hopefully the change means news for everyone soon though!

Oh nooo. That is really awful :( Sending good vibes.