2021 Applicants

Hi everyone! As you can probably see, I'm currently waitlisted at BC and UConn, and hoping to at least be waitlisted at Notre Dame. My top choice is Notre Dame followed closely by BC (both have been my absolute dream programs for years) I primarily do 20th century Irish lit and identity studies. I do like (or hope) to think that there's a chance for a lot of us! Many people get accepted to more than one program but can only choose one, obviously, which ends up normally creating at least some movement. 

Just now, Rehana202 said:

Hey all! Waitlisted at UVA, UNC Chapel    Hill, Loyola Chicago and Rutgers. @arrowseeker, Rutgers is my #1, Af. American lit focus. Wonder if there’s any chance for us in a year like this...

I'm anxious about it too. The DGS indicated there has been no medieval acceptance because of reduced cohort size this year, which makes me wonder in vain how it might have been for all of us if it weren't for the COVID ? Fingers crossed!

Hello my fellow literary geniuses  - 

So, things aren't looking too good for me this cycle unfortunately. (@cassidyaxx I am totally feeling your pain right now) I'm basically starting to prepare for having to apply again next cycle, and I wanted to get a few tips from you guys for next time around. 

For my SOP - the majority of it was spent explaining my research interests and some of the questions I was looking to answer through my research, etc. because it's a very unusual area of focus. I saved the last couple paragraphs for explaining why I thought the school was a good fit for me. What's your thoughts on this format? Did you guys do something similar - discuss your research interests and then save why the school was a good fit for last OR did you talk about why the school was a good fit throughout the progression of your entire SOP?

Also, by the time next cycle comes around, I will have been out of academia for a few years. I'm lucky enough to have a very secure job to hold me over, but I'm just wondering what action I should take to try and strengthen my application in other ways for next year? While I'd like to get an adjunct teaching position or something, that's obviously almost impossible in this job market right now. I'm of course submitting to lots of contests and lit journals to try and get a publication or two under my belt. But what else should I be doing? Should I try to volunteer as a reader at a lit journal? I was thinking about taking a couple online classes over the next year in my research area, just to show that I'm still really engaged in it. I feel like I'm at a slight disadvantage, because I did my MA overseas, and was not given the opportunity to be a TA or anything during it, as I know most grad students do while acquiring their master's, so my resume is lacking in that.

Finally, if anyone knows of any departments or programs that happen to dip their toe into the cross section between lit and psychoanalysis, dream studies, etc. please let me know! Definitely going to apply to more schools next cycle, but it's difficult to find programs that specialize in my research interests. 

I'm on the waitlist at Ohio State, and although not my top choice (who I'm still waiting on), it's an extremely close second! And I agree with @Rehana202, my waitlist email essentially said under normal circumstances I would have gotten an offer. The thing that stresses me out is it's not ordered, it's dependent on who turns them down, so I'm desperately crossing my fingers that a Rhet/Comp PhD acceptance gets a better offer somewhere else.

Edited by kirbs005

9 minutes ago, A Small Raven said:

For my SOP - the majority of it was spent explaining my research interests and some of the questions I was looking to answer through my research, etc. because it's a very unusual area of focus. I saved the last couple paragraphs for explaining why I thought the school was a good fit for me. What's your thoughts on this format?

This is what I did, and from the feedback I got from my letter writers, it made sense the way I had it written. In theory, if you've framed your research and questions well, the committee should have an excellent idea of how good of a fit you are before you get to your paragraph telling them that. And with the limited space, I prioritized telling them about myself/framing my research over telling them about their department.

I also made sure to include my teaching experiences and why  I wanted to do the PhD, Explaining why I want to be a professor. I  have moved back and forth from academia, so it felt necessary to explain it. Tangentially, I did not do anything on top of the job I am currently working, but it's a corporate trainer job, so I am writing curriculum and teaching, which lends itself to the application process well.

But that's just my two cents, and I'm sitting at 2 rejections and a waitlist, with one pending.

2 minutes ago, kirbs005 said:

This is what I did, and from the feedback I got from my letter writers, it made sense the way I had it written. In theory, if you've framed your research and questions well, the committee should have an excellent idea of how good of a fit you are before you get to your paragraph telling them that. And with the limited space, I prioritized telling them about myself/framing my research over telling them about their department.

I also made sure to include my teaching experiences and why  I wanted to do the PhD, Explaining why I want to be a professor. I  have moved back and forth from academia, so it felt necessary to explain it. Tangentially, I did not do anything on top of the job I am currently working, but it's a corporate trainer job, so I am writing curriculum and teaching, which lends itself to the application process well.

But that's just my two cents, and I'm sitting at 2 rejections and a waitlist, with one pending.

That's something I probably could have done more - explain WHY I want to do a PhD and become a professor. I don't think I really touched upon that much at all in my SOP. 

If my job was more relevant to academia, then I might not feel the need to bulk up my application more. But I'm a marketing director for a small business, and while I do a lot of content output and management, podcast producing, and even historical research and article editing etc., I feel that it doesn't necessarily have a direct line of relevance to academia.

I'm sorry you're in a tough spot too this cycle - I hope you get good news soon! 

15 minutes ago, A Small Raven said:

Hello my fellow literary geniuses  - 

So, things aren't looking too good for me this cycle unfortunately. (@cassidyaxx I am totally feeling your pain right now) I'm basically starting to prepare for having to apply again next cycle, and I wanted to get a few tips from you guys for next time around. 

For my SOP - the majority of it was spent explaining my research interests and some of the questions I was looking to answer through my research, etc. because it's a very unusual area of focus. I saved the last couple paragraphs for explaining why I thought the school was a good fit for me. What's your thoughts on this format? Did you guys do something similar - discuss your research interests and then save why the school was a good fit for last OR did you talk about why the school was a good fit throughout the progression of your entire SOP?

Also, by the time next cycle comes around, I will have been out of academia for a few years. I'm lucky enough to have a very secure job to hold me over, but I'm just wondering what action I should take to try and strengthen my application in other ways for next year? While I'd like to get an adjunct teaching position or something, that's obviously almost impossible in this job market right now. I'm of course submitting to lots of contests and lit journals to try and get a publication or two under my belt. But what else should I be doing? Should I try to volunteer as a reader at a lit journal? I was thinking about taking a couple online classes over the next year in my research area, just to show that I'm still really engaged in it. I feel like I'm at a slight disadvantage, because I did my MA overseas, and was not given the opportunity to be a TA or anything during it, as I know most grad students do while acquiring their master's, so my resume is lacking in that.

Finally, if anyone knows of any departments or programs that happen to dip their toe into the cross section between lit and psychoanalysis, dream studies, etc. please let me know! Definitely going to apply to more schools next cycle, but it's difficult to find programs that specialize in my research interests. 

Sorry to hear about this! I remember seeing a post from you because we are both also interested in creative writing. I agree with @kirbs005... the "why" part seems to be really important. Like, what is the bigger picture with your research, why do you think it is an important contribution to the field(s), why did you gravitate toward it in the first place? I feel like putting your research into perspective like this is a cool way of packaging your research up as something you're trying to "sell" (which I guess that's what we are trying to do with these SOPs....as ugly as it sounds lol). You might have already done all of this, if so then disregard all of this haha!

In terms of what to do for the next year: just do what you can. I don't think volunteering as a reader at a journal is a bad idea at all. I do think that showing you are doing personal research in your own time would definitely benefit you on an app whether it is through online classes are starting a blog or something. I don't think it has to be anything extravagant. It would just send the message that this research is something you *need* to do. You can definitely get creative with it, I think. But of course, don't break your back for it and overload yourself. Depending on the kind of program and environment you want to be in, I think that you can kind of get a feel for the type of stuff they would find impressive. I know someone whose successful YouTube channel helped them in applications because of the nature of their research -- so doing something that shows you are serious about the research and willing to approach it in your unique way could be something that some places value above publications... (I'm personally more into that sort of education and not so much in to "professional experience" and CVs being the sole representation of a human). So definitely make sure you apply to places that fit your style, whatever you choose to do. There are programs with professors who are really just wanting to see something different, from what I've been told. I think you could get super creative with your research interests. They sound so so so cool, honestly. I really want to hear more about them. 

And the obvious would be strengthening writing samples. I just looked at what I submitted a few months ago and I'm already cringing at it hahaha. If you can talk to someone who is currently a PhD student, they might be able to give you direct feedback if they have time. Maybe in the summer? If you have any way of contacting someone you trust, that would be great. Even a past professor from your MA perhaps? I know that people are busy and stuff but if you ask far enough in advance, people seem really eager to help.

I’m on the waitlist at UVA. It’s my top choice, so my fingers are crossed for movement—though this year has been so unpredictable I think I’ve decided to go into the wait period self-protectively, and assume the worst. I work mostly on the 19th century novel, queer studies, and—even more specifically—Henry James! 

17 minutes ago, Shake829 said:

I saw that one person posted a Rochester acceptance a few days ago. Do y’all feel that all acceptances have gone out and that the cohort is just smaller because of COVID-related funding issues?

I've also been wondering about Rochester! In past years, they seem to send out all acceptances on the same day or within a couple of days... So I think it's a combo of people who got accepted, but are not on Grad Cafe and the university limiting offers.

14 minutes ago, Shake829 said:

Also, serious question: why is it that almost all schools send acceptances days sooner than rejections? Like, why make us all wait?

I think this varies depending on how each university handles applications. I doubt it's malicious, but it certainly sucks. So they might set aside top applicants first, wait for some responses, think about waitlists, and then reject the rest.

30 minutes ago, Shake829 said:

Also, serious question: why is it that almost all schools send acceptances days sooner than rejections? Like, why make us all wait?

The scenario I imagine is this: Acceptances are important, and the schools want to get those out as soon as they can. Rejections are the opposite and have no priority. There is a part-time, two-day-a-week work-study undergrad making minimum wage to sit at the office desk and do admin stuff. They'll get around to it when they get around to it. Probably a post-it note on the computer that says, "Send out rejections!" But they have homework to do.

18 minutes ago, NervousYolk said:

cruel and unusual punishment, possibly oof

but thinking about it logistically, the admissions committees are essentially selecting a few acceptances out of a pile of rejections, including the waitlist. While there are most definitely applications that are rejected right away, a lot of applications are probably given varying degrees of consideration and it would take much more time and effort on their part to send out rejections in tiers as they go through the pile and select who to admit. It would also probably open them to a lot of complaints and annoying emails/calls from applicants that were rejected earlier on in their elimination process, and make it harder for them to use one generic form-type rejection letter?

I get that sending during the process itself is arduous (and would perhaps be more dehumanizing for those rejected early), but I guess I was asking why not send all the rejections at the same time when sending the acceptances—you know?

7 minutes ago, Lighthouse Lana said:

Oy, this week is moving very slowly... To those who have reached out to programs about the status of your applications, would you mind telling me what you wrote? I feel like it's a delicate email and I don't have the brain cells lol.

I just said that I was curious if there were any updates with regard to when decisions would be made. It worked, and I received kind responses.

I'm sending everyone good vibes - I just had an amazing phone call with the DGS at the Minnesota Writing Studies program who offered me admission! I was staring down a shut out, pending waitlist movement, but now I got into my top program. It's possible, y'all! Every single person here is a great academic and can make it happen!

4 minutes ago, kirbs005 said:

I'm sending everyone good vibes - I just had an amazing phone call with the DGS at the Minnesota Writing Studies program who offered me admission! I was staring down a shut out, pending waitlist movement, but now I got into my top program. It's possible, y'all! Every single person here is a great academic and can make it happen!

Congrats! That's amazing news!

47 minutes ago, NervousYolk said:

Most likely because they need to know how many of the people admitted turn down their spot since this would affect how the waitlist looks like too? It would probably be a lot more awkward and labor intensive if they were to send out rejections the same time as admissions and they end up with 2 spots that weren't taken and need to backtrack on the rejections.

This situation happened in my MFA a couple years after I started, people on the waitlist had already accepted other offers and admissions had to dig into the rejection pile which was awkward to say the least. 

On 2/25/2021 at 3:11 PM, kirbs005 said:

CONGRATULATIONS that’s amazing!!! so happy for you!!!

7 hours ago, Emailchecker said:

Hi waitlisters and stress warriors! I am currently waitlisted at WUSTL--I would really appreciate if the offer holders also have other offers lol

If there are any tactics to increase the waitlister's odds, let's talk about them

I've mostly heard people on this forum saying that you don't need to do anything for waitlist emails other than let them know you're still interested in the program, but I did do something a little different last year when I was waitlisted for UVA (albeit, I was still eventually rejected so take my advice with a grain of salt). Per my professor's advice, I used the waitlisted email as an opportunity to share with the DGS what I was able to accomplish in the time since turning in my application. I wouldn't necessarily do that for little things, but during the couple month period in which my application was being considered I had been nominated for a prestigious award at my university. If you've gotten a big award or have been accepted for a publication and it's not included in your application, I would definitely take the waitlist email as an opportunity to share that achievement. Worst case, it does nothing. Best case, it could move you a couple of spots up the waitlist! 

Edited by silvestre stallone