2021 Applicants

6 minutes ago, missmarianne said:

I am not a creative writer, but I'm about to become one considering McSweeney's was the only place that sent me an acceptance this season. :) Having a real "don't go where you're not wanted" moment rn.

Sounds like you’re a writer to me! Keep going! Or also wallow in anger/sadness for a while if you need to, I know I am ? 

1 hour ago, maddykrob said:

Emailed Florida State for updates, got this back:

Thank you for reaching out. Because of an extraordinary increase in the number of applicants (twice as many as last year), we have not yet finalized our offers and our waiting lists. We appreciate your patience, and we thank you for your interest in Florida State University.

TWICE AS MANY???

Have heard that there were even bigger increases for some programs, unfortunately, with greatly reduced cohort sizes. 
now, more than ever, I think we gotta keep in mind the whole ‘an acceptance is personal but a rejection is not’ mantra

14 minutes ago, R Westy said:

Sounds like you’re a writer to me! Keep going! Or also wallow in anger/sadness for a while if you need to, I know I am ? 

Definitely wallowing in anger. I don't even know where to go from here because I sent them my best work. I can't really improve on excellence and, short of not having a goddamn Nobel Prize, what I sent them was pretty much excellent.

5 minutes ago, missmarianne said:

Definitely wallowing in anger. I don't even know where to go from here because I sent them my best work. I can't really improve on excellence and, short of not having a goddamn Nobel Prize, what I sent them was pretty much excellent.

Also, my application never moved beyond the In Review status in the portal and I'm genuinely wondering whether or not they even read it because I sent it so late.

3 hours ago, Lighthouse Lana said:

Alrighty folks! I just emailed Penn State, U Rochester, and UC Santa Barbara for some status updates.

The coordinator at Penn State said: "Our graduate studies committee makes offers on a rolling basis up to and including April 15. You will be notified by either phone or email as to our decision. Because of this, I am unable to give you a firm answer at this time, unfortunately."

The coordinator at UC Santa Barbara said letters will be sent out this week. As for U Rochester, I'll keep y'all posted. 

Yay hooray I only have to pretend to be working for another hour!!

Mkay, the coordinator at Rochester says they just concluded their first round of reviews, so those of us in purgatory should know soon.

2 hours ago, queenofcarrotflowers said:

Have heard that there were even bigger increases for some programs, unfortunately, with greatly reduced cohort sizes. 
now, more than ever, I think we gotta keep in mind the whole ‘an acceptance is personal but a rejection is not’ mantra

Yeah...the school I got into told me there were 3 times more applicants than usual this year. This cycle is just really rough....

I think my application cycle has officialy ended, I was denied from around 12+ schools and accepted to only one, which I guess is all that matters... I will most likely attend the program that offered admission to me in the Fall--I really wish you all good luck in all your endeavors, this cycle has been extremely tough

18 hours ago, R Westy said:

I kept going and McSweeney's is publishing another essay I sent them!!! ? Bye-bye, academia! Going be a satirist now!!

42 minutes ago, missmarianne said:

I kept going and McSweeney's is publishing another essay I sent them!!! ? Bye-bye, academia! Going be a satirist now!!

I think you really should consider adding MFA programs and looking into some PHD programs with a creative dissertation. McSweeney's is a top-notch publication that is often a goal for many.

52 minutes ago, Warelin said:

I think you really should consider adding MFA programs and looking into some PHD programs with a creative dissertation. McSweeney's is a top-notch publication that is often a goal for many.

Thank you! I might just do that! I'm totally shocked/grateful to have been accepted at all since humor is subjective, etc. but I'm delighted to have someone that isn't my mom laughing at my dad jokes. ? 

37 minutes ago, MaoistTowelette said:

Who are you and when will we be able to read your wonderful things?

I mean, I'm a pretty private person and I don't really like atten--MARY ANN. My name is Mary Ann. You can read my academic work on my google scholar page https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=2xYWTxMAAAAJ&hl=en but my more interesting article comes out todaaaaaay with McSweeney's!! Will 100% post iiiiiiiit!!! EXCIIIIIITED!!

Also, no one make fun of my headshot even though I look like I survived the Titanic sinking and am still coming to terms with it. I made the mistake of, last minute, sending that photo into a Young Scholars thing where I was talking about some projects I'd been doing and they needed my picture and now it haaaaaunts me. 

Edited by missmarianne

1 minute ago, missmarianne said:

I mean, I'm a pretty private person and I don't really like atten--MARY ANN. My name is Mary Ann. You can read my academic work on my google scholar page https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=2xYWTxMAAAAJ&hl=en but my more interesting article comes out todaaaaaay with McSweeney's!! Will 100% post iiiiiiiit!!! EXCIIIIIITED!!

WOOOp!!! the second hand excitement I'm feeling for you is acc easing my last-few-rejections-left anxiety sm 

Just now, queenofcarrotflowers said:

WOOOp!!! the second hand excitement I'm feeling for you is acc easing my last-few-rejections-left anxiety sm 

Thank yoooou!! It's definitely helping me get out of my residual probable-shutout grumplestiltskin energy from last night. 

GUYS! IT'S HERE! IT'S HERE!!!! THE BABY ARTICLE IS OUT IN THE WORLD NOW!

I do hope some of y'all can relate to this as well. 

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/a-graduate-school-rejection-letter-as-written-by-my-anxiety-disorder-at-3-am

33 minutes ago, missmarianne said:

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/a-graduate-school-rejection-letter-as-written-by-my-anxiety-disorder-at-3-am

Long time lurker but I had to make an account to tell you how much I throughly enjoyed this. Thank you! I guffawed at the elementary fitness report. I couldn’t do a pull up either HAHA. Pure gold.

33 minutes ago, missmarianne said:

You are funny and creative and I laughed out loud. All these years later, I now know I'm not the only person traumatized by the presidential fitness test.

10 minutes ago, sadevilminion said:

You are funny and creative and I laughed out loud. All these years later, I now know I'm not the only person traumatized by the presidential fitness test.

Ahhhhh! Thank youuuuu! I believe they got rid of it in 2012 even though my stomach involuntarily clenches whenever I hear a gym whistle now.

Just now, missmarianne said:

Ahhhhh! Thank youuuuu! I believe they got rid of it in 2012 even though my stomach involuntarily clenches whenever I hear a gym whistle now.

Oh my GOD. Gym whistles are NOT a thing. That's how foreign the language is to me. WHISTLE. I meant whistle.

25 minutes ago, brakeforbirds said:

Long time lurker but I had to make an account to tell you how much I throughly enjoyed this. Thank you! I guffawed at the elementary fitness report. I couldn’t do a pull up either HAHA. Pure gold.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Why are they having nine-year olds do pull-ups!?!