2021 Applicants

On 3/5/2021 at 12:17 PM, Magic Lantern said:

Got an email from Rutgers asking me to complete a survey. Does this mean anything? Guess not lol. 

p.s. This survey is actually asking for a lot of personal information. Is this a scam? Did anyone else receive it? 

I got it too! And although I knew this email might mean nothing, I still checked my portal immediately but didn't see any updates...

2 hours ago, queenofcarrotflowers said:

So after being pretty sure of a shutout, I've just been accepted into a fully-funded MA programme!!!!! Beyond shook 

If anyone has attended UK, please do drop me a message! 

Congrats! I went to undergrad at UK (in the 2000s, showing my age *hides*) as journalism/Spanish double major. I can answer questions about Lexington though if you have any! 

3 hours ago, queenofcarrotflowers said:

So after being pretty sure of a shutout, I've just been accepted into a fully-funded MA programme!!!!! Beyond shook 

If anyone has attended UK, please do drop me a message! 

omg so many congrats!!! I am a UK person, but can you be more specific? Which uk are we talking about here?

Ugh, when am I allowed to email Rochester about my portal saying "decision released," but not actually showing the update??? I feel weird about it because I literally emailed them last Monday for a status update... I don't want to bother them too much, but dangling a decision in my face for three days is just RUDE. 

16 minutes ago, Lighthouse Lana said:

Ugh, when am I allowed to email Rochester about my portal saying "decision released," but not actually showing the update??? I feel weird about it because I literally emailed them last Monday for a status update... I don't want to bother them too much, but dangling a decision in my face for three days is just RUDE. 

I don’t think it would be bothering them too much. If there’s a problem with the system, they’d probably want to know anyway. I don’t think they’d decide to reject you for asking a reasonable question. 

1 hour ago, Lighthouse Lana said:

I just looked again and noticed something important: There is no date next to where it says “decision released.” All of the other updates have a date next to them. Maybe they haven’t made a decision and are just getting the system ready for upload? Someone said that they didn’t have this update before, so it seems that all decisions are not ready. I’d wait till Tuesday, since I doubt anyone will answer email on a Sunday, either way. 

8 minutes ago, Shake829 said:

I just looked again and noticed something important: There is no date next to where it says “decision released.” All of the other updates have a date next to them. Maybe they haven’t made a decision and are just getting the system ready for upload? Someone said that they didn’t have this update before, so it seems that all decisions are not ready. I’d wait till Tuesday, since I doubt anyone will answer email on a Sunday, either way. 

That's a good point! You're right, I'll give it another couple of days. 

Man, I so desperately want this process to be over. I can't believe I still have 4 more pending schools...

10 hours ago, mashatheicebear said:

Did anyone else apply to the Literature PhD at UCSC? Has anyone heard anything?

There is nothing on the results page but figured it was worth asking...

Hey! I posted my acceptance a while ago, I think most decisions have gone out already. 

On 3/5/2021 at 4:59 PM, The Maritime Scholar said:

So LSU reached out for a Zoom interview. I replied saying that I've already made a decision. I didn't want to waste their time, to be honest. I hope someone else who wants to go there can be interviewed instead!

Congratulations on making your decision! If you're comfortable, would you mind sharing your choice? I am waitlisted at one of the schools on your list, so I'd love to ask you some questions about the program/school if you were able to vet them :)

If not I totally understand though! 

On 3/3/2021 at 1:36 PM, maddykrob said:

Waitlisted at SUNY Albany this morning! Only 5 funded positions, and I'm at the top of the waitlist for one. I'm thrilled and also incredibly anxious about more waiting. This is my top choice program! (media AND poetics? a dream)

Congratulations!!! Waitlisted at Albany as well, but with different research interests (ecocriticism, film, and horror). Good luck to you!!

14 hours ago, caitlin_flawed said:

Hey! I posted my acceptance a while ago, I think most decisions have gone out already. 

Thank you! I was checking the results page and apparently was using the wrong search terms. ?

Based on historic data, I figured they would have sent out most decisions by now (not sure why I haven't heard anything yet). I did reach out last month and was told that they would be delayed this year, due to COVID (which does not appear to be true), and that I shouldn't expect to hear anything until late March. Maybe she was trying to let me down easy? ?

Just now, mashatheicebear said:

Thank you! I was checking the results page and apparently was using the wrong search terms. ?

Based on historic data, I figured they would have sent out most decisions by now (not sure why I haven't heard anything yet). I did reach out last month and was told that they would be delayed this year, due to COVID (which does not appear to be true), and that I shouldn't expect to hear anything until late March. Maybe she was trying to let me down easy? ?

It is also possible that the school might have a primary/secondary invisible waitlist.

1 hour ago, brockdenbrown802 said:

Congratulations on making your decision! If you're comfortable, would you mind sharing your choice? I am waitlisted at one of the schools on your list, so I'd love to ask you some questions about the program/school if you were able to vet them :)

If not I totally understand though! 

Hey, @brockdenbrown802! I sent you a message. 

Hi all! Despite what I think may be an encroaching shutout for me, I'm trying to get excited about other things happening in my life. That said, I'm presenting at NeMLA this Friday (it's virtual)! If anyone else is presenting there and would like a friend in their audience, feel free to let me know because I would love to meet some of you and see your neat research in action! I have the day off so besides my panel (5-6:30), I'll have plenty of time to check out people's amazing work. 

9 minutes ago, cassidyaxx said:

That said, I'm presenting at NeMLA this Friday (it's virtual)! If anyone else is presenting there and would like a friend in their audience, feel free to let me know because I would love to meet some of you and see your neat research in action!

Omg congrats! I couldn't pull my life together enough to submit to NeMLA this year, but I wish I could come to your panel. What are you presenting on?

19 minutes ago, cassidyaxx said:

Hi all! Despite what I think may be an encroaching shutout for me, I'm trying to get excited about other things happening in my life. That said, I'm presenting at NeMLA this Friday (it's virtual)! If anyone else is presenting there and would like a friend in their audience, feel free to let me know because I would love to meet some of you and see your neat research in action! I have the day off so besides my panel (5-6:30), I'll have plenty of time to check out people's amazing work. 

See you there! I'll be presenting as well. :)

13 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

Omg congrats! I couldn't pull my life together enough to submit to NeMLA this year, but I wish I could come to your panel. What are you presenting on?

The extension for abstracts is the only thing that saved me, lol. I'm presenting on the Irish female celebrity body and it's connections to the Irish landscape in a way that sort of acts as an extension of colonial ideals! But more broadly it will be about Grace Kelly ?