2021 Applicants

Okay ALSO. SERIOUSLY. My status never left In Review at UT Austin and I keep seeing people saying they got status updates like, "Your application has been forwarded to the admissions committee for review" and this never happened for me. Did anyone who has been accepted to UT Austin NOT get the "your application has been forwarded to the admissions committee for review" status?

4 minutes ago, queenofcarrotflowers said:

Officially out at Michigan.

Was expecting it to hurt, but I think the weight of all these rejections, and the time and effort I spent putting my life aside for the sakes of a grand total of absolutely nothing, has suddenly hit me with a ton of bricks. 

It's truly a tough year. I do think that's the case. I don't think I've seen a year where so many, many talented people got rejected by every single school they applied to. 

30 minutes ago, missmarianne said:

It's truly a tough year. I do think that's the case. I don't think I've seen a year where so many, many talented people got rejected by every single school they applied to. 

It’s pretty shocking. Two of the smartest folks I know had to apply twice, even in non covid times, so I’m reassuring myself with the fact that it’s hard in general and nearly impossible this year. Still sucks tho! At least we have good memes and satire (your amazing essay) to get us through. 

15 minutes ago, R Westy said:

It’s pretty shocking. Two of the smartest folks I know had to apply twice, even in non covid times, so I’m reassuring myself with the fact that it’s hard in general and nearly impossible this year. Still sucks tho! At least we have good memes and satire (your amazing essay) to get us through. 

Thank you! It does seem like there are quite a few people left here who didn't get in anywhere and I don't think I saw that last year. Really crushed that I didn't get in during the one year that they dropped the GRE.

59 minutes ago, missmarianne said:

Okay ALSO. SERIOUSLY. My status never left In Review at UT Austin and I keep seeing people saying they got status updates like, "Your application has been forwarded to the admissions committee for review" and this never happened for me. Did anyone who has been accepted to UT Austin NOT get the "your application has been forwarded to the admissions committee for review" status?

I've been hearing very different things on this, tbh, and I don't think it's a good indication of how things will progress. Some people (like me, had 'admission committee' from pretty much day 1), other saw a change later, and others no movement at all. It's odd. 

On 3/3/2021 at 2:00 PM, Emailchecker said:

I've been hearing very different things on this, tbh, and I don't think it's a good indication of how things will progress. Some people (like me, had 'admission committee' from pretty much day 1), other saw a change later, and others no movement at all. It's odd. 

Other people who got in saw no change at all?? Thanks SO MUCH for replying. I'm trying not to feel preemptively haunted by the fact that they might not have read it or something because I sent it in two days before the due date. I have this dumb theory that they're looking at ONLY MY FIELD in the exact way that they hire people at my office, and is a library, and is in NO WAY affiliated with UT Austin because TEA LEAVES. ?

As a sidenote, can I please please please ask anyone accepting the UT-Austin offer to get in touch (if they want to). I would love to make a start on being social with the cohort, even as/if we are passing some of the most anti-social times ever. I know we are attaching names to faces during the recruitment event, but why not earlier? 

5 minutes ago, Emailchecker said:

Honestly, I submitted 2 hours before the deadline. I think this way, too, a lot, all the time

Ahhhh! Okay. That makes me feel so much better! I started reading all these blogs about people submitting their stuff a month in advance and I 100% thought I'd screwed up. Really relieved to know they're not just going to toss out my application now.

45 minutes ago, R Westy said:

I think it's always helpful to remember rejection isn't any indication of how smart someone is. :)

Just now, Rehana202 said:

Any word on a virtual visiting day for Rutgers or UVA? I’m not sure if they usually invite waitlisters to these events, and also just curious when they might be held, as that might instigate some movement for all of us waiting.

UVA's virtual visits are this week though I'm not sure what's on deck or how it works (in general and re: waitlists).

38 minutes ago, WildeThing said:

UVA's virtual visits are this week though I'm not sure what's on deck or how it works (in general and re: waitlists).

Thanks for this! Seems like some invite waitlisters, some don't. Hopefully we will see some movement on the UVA waitlist soon! 

1 hour ago, NervousYolk said:

Still waiting on my formal rejection letter from my last school, but it sucks that i'm more stressed about letting my references who wrote my recommendation letters and the professors from the programs that I spoke with know about me being shut out again this cycle orz

Painfully relatable.

7 minutes ago, j.j.pizza said:

Painfully relatable.

Did no one else cry over email to their profs at the first few rejections?? ? Congrats on your emotional strength. I even cried to an editor who did NOT ask for that. Glad everyone else is keeping it together!

On 3/2/2021 at 2:21 PM, missmarianne said:

GUYS! IT'S HERE! IT'S HERE!!!! THE BABY ARTICLE IS OUT IN THE WORLD NOW!

I do hope some of y'all can relate to this as well. 

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/a-graduate-school-rejection-letter-as-written-by-my-anxiety-disorder-at-3-am

This was so wonderful-- Congratulations!

I'm also officially out at Michigan, I feel the pain. Aside from waiting on Harvard (lol) I'm at 8/9 rejections and one waitlist at Davis. If anyone has insight in Davis's waitlist process or how much movement there usually is that would be extremely helpful! Sending love to everyone else without an acceptance ? 

34 minutes ago, Not_a_Robot22 said:

I'm also officially out at Michigan, I feel the pain. Aside from waiting on Harvard (lol) I'm at 8/9 rejections and one waitlist at Davis. If anyone has insight in Davis's waitlist process or how much movement there usually is that would be extremely helpful! Sending love to everyone else without an acceptance ? 

What are your interest fields? It seems like most waitlists take into account the interest dispersion within the cohort. 

Just now, littleandfierce said:

What are your interest fields? It seems like most waitlists take into account the interest dispersion within the cohort. 

Well if that's the case then that's probably good because I'm very niche lol! My focus is illness narratives and the intersection of disability and performativity, so I'm mostly in the medical humanities/ disability studies fields.