2021 Applicants

1 minute ago, cassidyaxx said:

The extension for abstracts is the only thing that saved me, lol. I'm presenting on the Irish female celebrity body and it's connections to the Irish landscape in a way that sort of acts as an extension of colonial ideals! But more broadly it will be about Grace Kelly ?

Wow, amazing. I'm sure your presentation will be great--keep us updated on how it goes!

10 hours ago, TheorySchmeory said:

Does anyone know if there is a thread for soliciting advice on making a choice between English graduate programs?

Maybe in the "Decisions, Decisions" forum? I don't know of one specifically, but it seems like that would be the place for it. 

On 3/7/2021 at 4:35 PM, Lighthouse Lana said:

That's a good point! You're right, I'll give it another couple of days. 

Man, I so desperately want this process to be over. I can't believe I still have 4 more pending schools...

I reached out to Rochester. I was told that the notification on the portal is a “preemptive alert” and that more information would be coming my way in the next day or two. Not sure if I should read this as a positive or a negative, ha. 

51 minutes ago, Shake829 said:

I reached out to Rochester. I was told that the notification on the portal is a “preemptive alert” and that more information would be coming my way in the next day or two. Not sure if I should read this as a positive or a negative, ha. 

MY HERO!! Thank you so much for emailing them. What an obnoxious system that puts applicants on red alert for almost a week.

I don't mean to be a pessimist, but given the people who were already accepted/waitlisted... my rejection senses are tingling... or maybe I'm just dehydrated?

6 minutes ago, Lighthouse Lana said:

MY HERO!! Thank you so much for emailing them. What an obnoxious system that puts applicants on red alert for almost a week.

I don't mean to be a pessimist, but given the people who were already accepted/waitlisted... my rejection senses are tingling... or maybe I'm just dehydrated?

I was thinking that, too (rejection), but I recall someone on here saying that their application still read as “in review.” Also, not one person has mentioned this on the results page. With all the questions being asked about different programs, I assume at least one person would mention this issue. So, I have a feeling that this portal thing is not a ubiquitous issue among all remaining Rochester applicants. Let’s remain positive :) 

11 minutes ago, Lighthouse Lana said:

But at the same time, if there was positive news, I think she should’ve told me. So, who knows?

39 minutes ago, Debord said:

Hi folks,

Not really one for public forums but wanted to notify wait listed applicants of some potential movement: I was accepted off the wait list at my reach school and will be declining my PhD offers at Boston College and McGill.

Hope that is welcome news to somebody.

Congrats for getting into your reach school! If you would feel comfortable, would you mind PMing me what your research interests are? I'm waitlisted at Boston College and am curious. If not, no problem :) 

1 minute ago, Lighthouse Lana said:

"Who knows?" should definitely be the mantra for this entire cycle!!

Ha!

But, also, if I’m recalling correctly, was it you before who posted that Rochester replied to an email saying that they had only finished a first review? Could totally be recalling wrong. 

Just now, Shake829 said:

Ha!

But, also, if I’m recalling correctly, was it you before who posted that Rochester replied to an email saying that they had only finished a first review? Could totally be recalling wrong. 

Yes, that was me! It's from last Monday and this is the exact wording: The committee has just concluded the first round of reviews and you will be hearing from us soon.

My thought process (and again, I'm a pessimist at heart, so it would be wise not to read into it) is that a) they already had their first wave of students accepting or declining admissions, so we could be waitlisted or b) we were just the first ones in the batch of rejections and everyone else will get the annoying notification soon enough.

I've seen a few posts like this before, but I'm wondering if I should reach out again to BC and reaffirm my interest in their program as well as see about my place on the waitlist? I've been accepted to two more conferences since I submitted my application, and received two awards. I'm wondering if it could be a kind of two birds one stone sort of email, or if I should wait to send an email like this when we get closer to April. 

1 hour ago, cassidyaxx said:

I've seen a few posts like this before, but I'm wondering if I should reach out again to BC and reaffirm my interest in their program as well as see about my place on the waitlist? I've been accepted to two more conferences since I submitted my application, and received two awards. I'm wondering if it could be a kind of two birds one stone sort of email, or if I should wait to send an email like this when we get closer to April. 

I was also kind of wondering at what point it might make sense to reach out to programs that waitlisted a while back.

I think in your case because you have many updates - it is probably worth it! I'd imagine it can't hurt, right?

2 hours ago, cassidyaxx said:

I'm sure this is different for every program, but my MA Grad Director told me that my clear interest in the program (follow-up emails, visiting campus, etc.) helped me in the admissions process. IMO it can't hurt to reach out and reaffirm that they are your top choice program and you're still interested. Good luck!

2 hours ago, cassidyaxx said:

45 minutes ago, brockdenbrown802 said:

I was also kind of wondering at what point it might make sense to reach out to programs that waitlisted a while back.

I think in your case because you have many updates - it is probably worth it! I'd imagine it can't hurt, right?

I would also think reaching out can't be a bad thing! I'm waitlisted at Albany for funding, and in the decision email, the director said they would welcome a check-in email in a few weeks at which point they could give me a better idea of my status, etc. Good luck to you guys!!