2021 Applicants

I was accepted into Fordham a while back and just declined. If they don't have an official waitlist and instead a few pending applications, maybe a spot will open up soon. 

21 hours ago, Austin Anderson said:

Any updates from Penn State? I haven't heard anything yet, and I cant tell if their acceptance have already gone out? 

It's still super unclear! They do everything on a rolling basis, so there's no way to tell when we might hear back. Hang in there!

22 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

I've just declined my offer at Davis, and also removed myself from CUNY's waitlist. Hope this helps someone!

I am curious: according to your profile, you are already attending a PhD program (correct me if I am wrong, maybe it's a MA). I wanted to ask you, in case you have experience about this, if you found any trouble at the time of applying for other PhDs when alreadly enrolled in one.

Btw, it's already 16th of March and I'M NERVOUS. Hang in there everyone, the countdown has already begun!

oh I've been lurking for a while, but waitlisted at USC for comp lit (on a "very short" waitlist) as well as for ASE (which they openly said is rarely used).

comp lit gave a little more hope, but pretty much said its too unpredictable for them to ascertain if/how they'll use the waitlist.

sorta my last hope for this cycle. heres to hoping I guess haha. 

2 hours ago, indecisionqueen said:

Longtime lurker here, writing to ask if people know anything about the UChicago MAPH? I'm trying to decide between that and UCL's MA in English Linguistics and it just feels like apples and oranges...

There are quite a few threads discussing this— the overall consensus is pretty negative/it’s very much notorious for being a cash cow. However, some people on this thread seem to have had really great experiences on the MAPH programme, especially now that there’s *some* financial aid...

I can tell you that UCL, despite having a great reputation as an institution in the UK, is also kind of notorious for preying on international students for $$, and your experience might be pretty impersonal (I know a few people, both international and UK, who’ve attended the programme and they were all pretty dissatisfied). Although if you’re UK based/can get a loan from SFE its worth considering the programme, although I’ve heard better things about some of the other RG unis in London.

In comparison to UCL, Chicago’s MAPH programme seems to be pretty centred around preparing you for grad school and seems to have some great resources, however, the cash cow reputation might end up damaging your application to PhD programmes (if that is your goal) rather than helping. Also, the programme is interdisciplinary rather than pure literature.

overall, these programmes are pretty different so it’s hard to compare, but I honestly would not consider either, unless all of the following conditions were met:

a) money was not a problem at all, or you are fully funded

b) your undergrad was in a completely different field, but even then I’d probably consider other routes

c) you aren’t taking an MA in pursuit of a PhD

This is all just my 2c tho.

Edited by queenofcarrotflowers

21 minutes ago, Kaharim said:

I am curious: according to your profile, you are already attending a PhD program (correct me if I am wrong, maybe it's a MA). I wanted to ask you, in case you have experience about this, if you found any trouble at the time of applying for other PhDs when alreadly enrolled in one.

Hi! Sorry for the confusion--I am currently in an MA, and will be starting a PhD in Comm/Media at Michigan this fall! I updated my signature to show my cycle is wrapped and I made my decision to attend Michigan lol. Probably could have phrased it more clearly.

20 minutes ago, azu said:

oh I've been lurking for a while, but waitlisted at USC for comp lit (on a "very short" waitlist) as well as for ASE (which they openly said is rarely used).

comp lit gave a little more hope, but pretty much said its too unpredictable for them to ascertain if/how they'll use the waitlist.

sorta my last hope for this cycle. heres to hoping I guess haha. 

Have you tried contacting them to know about your situation regarding that list? That would probably help you ease your mind a little bit. Best of lucks for you!

1 hour ago, Bopie5 said:

Hi! Sorry for the confusion--I am currently in an MA, and will be starting a PhD in Comm/Media at Michigan this fall! I updated my signature to show my cycle is wrapped and I made my decision to attend Michigan lol. Probably could have phrased it more clearly.

No worries! I just guessed it was that way and asked out of curiosity ?

Hey everyone,

posting for the first time as I need to distract myself from the stress somehow. :D

I am waitlisted at UIC and accepted at University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. The problem is I haven't gotten full funding from Milwaukee... yet. (As an F-1 student, full funding is a condition to get my Visa approved again.) So, should UIC come through, I might decline Milwaukee's offer (if that helps anyone).

My research interests are postmodernism, contemporary literature, form & criticism (with a side hustle in humor studies and feminism)...

Hey all - wanted to mention as well if anyone was hesitant / nervous about checking in with a program I did yesterday and it was worth it. 

I reached out to KU (one of my waitlists) and asked for an update if possible, given the upcoming 4/15 deadline. I didn't get the best of news (funding constraints, budget cuts reducing class size, the COVID-mess usual) but the director was very kind and transparent about the chances of my admission. 

3 minutes ago, BBQchickum said:

Been waitlisted for University of Delaware M.S. Biological Sciences since Feb. 20th. Really hoping to hear back soon :( I only applied to one school!

Sorry to hear it! Just so you know this is a English specific forum, but there might be something specific to your area too in the Life Sciences forum:

https://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/29-biology/

6 hours ago, brockdenbrown802 said:

Hey all - wanted to mention as well if anyone was hesitant / nervous about checking in with a program I did yesterday and it was worth it. 

I reached out to KU (one of my waitlists) and asked for an update if possible, given the upcoming 4/15 deadline. I didn't get the best of news (funding constraints, budget cuts reducing class size, the COVID-mess usual) but the director was very kind and transparent about the chances of my admission. 

I still think it's too soon to ask any university to give real updates, but I am glad you got some valuable intel on your situation. I have the feeling things are going to start moving for real from the beginning of April onwards and that it will be very fast. Before that time, I think we should try to keep ourselves as distracted as possible (in the healthiest ways ??).