2021 Applicants

8 hours ago, Emailchecker said:

Waitlisters, would you inform the insititution/dgs for a recent acceptance with minor revisions (mine is not refereed, but I would say very respected and known, like a graduate refereed journal). The piece itself is a research article, so not journalistic.

If they were still deliberating on who to select I'd say maybe, but now I'm not sure it accomplishes much since they already think you're capable, they're just waiting to see who takes their spot so they can offer one to you. That said, will it hurt your chances? Probably not.

8 hours ago, silvestre stallone said:

If people feel otherwise, please chime in. I definitely don't think it would be wrong to let them know if it is in response to your waitlist email. This is how I framed my waitlist response last year:

1. I thanked them for considering me for their program and told them that I wanted to use this opportunity to share what I have been up to since applications had been turned in

2. I wrote about new accomplishments

3. I reiterated that this was my dream program and that I would eagerly matriculate if extended an offer

Again, it might have just been printed out and put in my file, but I think that it showed that I was still actively building my resume even after submitting my applications.

Best of luck, though! And feel free to message me if you have other questions on that!

Thank you friend! When you refer to a response to the waitlist email, do you mean one and only response? Because i did write back to thank the dgs and tell him to reach out if they need anything from me or to clarify anything. But the acceptance came only this week. So based on what you both have said, i think i will write back tomorrow reiterating and adding the pub information. That is, if they don't reject me before i have to do so lol

Who sends out a rejection at 8pm on a Saturday?!?!?!

Relieved to have the info, but it did make it hard to sleep. Soooooo many failure dreams. 

Two more programs still pending...

Good luck to all! Hoping for good news for everyone this next week!

Ahhh I appreciate this thread @cassidyaxx!! 

I am waitlisted at two programs right now (both are top choices, one is my top choice). 

I am also a first gen and first time applicant, so I don't know the process/etiquette here at all. I've been working on follow-up emails for a recruitment event all weekend. I know I'm over thinking it... but tell me I'm not alone? lol. 

It makes me feel better knowing others are in the same boat. 

20 minutes ago, brockdenbrown802 said:

I am also a first gen and first time applicant, so I don't know the process/etiquette here at all.

This was me. I went 0/7 first cycle and 6/10 my second. It's a frustrating reality that presentation counts for so much. As much as I want to believe the quality of my thinking developed between cycles, it was mostly just how I presented my ideas that mattered. 

46 minutes ago, brockdenbrown802 said:

Ahhh I appreciate this thread @cassidyaxx!! 

I am waitlisted at two programs right now (both are top choices, one is my top choice). 

I am also a first gen and first time applicant, so I don't know the process/etiquette here at all. I've been working on follow-up emails for a recruitment event all weekend. I know I'm over thinking it... but tell me I'm not alone? lol. 

It makes me feel better knowing others are in the same boat. 

You are definitely not alone! I am a first gen student as well (though it's my third cycle applying). It is SO hard to be a first gen student battling through the application cycle for the first time, and I had no idea the amount of etiquette I would need to learn for my time in graduate school. If you ever need any help, you can always DM me on here! I'd be more than willing to share follow-up emails I've sent and what not.

Also I know this is a long shot of people seeing this specific post, lol, but if any one currently waitlisted or accepted at BC is planning on turning them down, I'd love if you could let me know whenever you plan to do so. I only know a few of the people who have been waitlisted. I have a vague understanding of where I am on the waitlist but would love to keep track of movement as best I can. This has always been my dream program and I legit cannot sleep at night sometimes thinking about the possibility of getting in here, lol. 

35 minutes ago, cassidyaxx said:

You are definitely not alone! I am a first gen student as well (though it's my third cycle applying). It is SO hard to be a first gen student battling through the application cycle for the first time, and I had no idea the amount of etiquette I would need to learn for my time in graduate school. If you ever need any help, you can always DM me on here! I'd be more than willing to share follow-up emails I've sent and what not.

Thank you so much :) 

I've been so glad to find this forum bc without it for many of us, I'm guessing, our parents/friends are not familiar with the process or the unique type of stress attached, haha! Before finding this my entire life was googling phrases like, "what am i allowed to say to a director of a grad program" lol 

43 minutes ago, cassidyaxx said:

Also I know this is a long shot of people seeing this specific post, lol, but if any one currently waitlisted or accepted at BC is planning on turning them down, I'd love if you could let me know whenever you plan to do so. I only know a few of the people who have been waitlisted. I have a vague understanding of where I am on the waitlist but would love to keep track of movement as best I can. This has always been my dream program and I legit cannot sleep at night sometimes thinking about the possibility of getting in here, lol. 

My partner is waitlisted at BC and as they do not yet have an acceptance (just two waitlists so far, like you) they hope BC will work out for them too. I can post again if they do get accepted elsewhere and choose to leave BC's waitlist. Their field is poetics and they have an MA and an MFA.

hi!

anyone planning on turning down dartmouth's complit ma program? i know it's a long shot but wanted to try my luck! it's my top choice.

btw-- it's been like two weeks since my waitlist email but i did not write anything back as i did not think it was necessary. should i have at least thanked them? kind of freaking out about that now ?

good luck to everyone!

7 minutes ago, silk said:

hi!

anyone planning on turning down dartmouth's complit ma program? i know it's a long shot but wanted to try my luck! it's my top choice.

btw-- it's been like two weeks since my waitlist email but i did not write anything back as i did not think it was necessary. should i have at least thanked them? kind of freaking out about that now ?

good luck to everyone!

Hi! So I reached out to both the DGS and my PoI, and the sense I got is that things are so tight due to the pandemic that I don’t think an email would make that much of a difference. I think you’re probably fine, but if it’s causing you anxiety, emailing the DGS to confirm your continued interest in their program probably wouldn’t hurt! 

39 minutes ago, j.j.pizza said:

Their field is poetics and they have an MA and an MFA.

Thanks for letting me know! From the way the waitlist has been explained to me, I don't think we'd be in competition for the same spot, but I'd definitely appreciate it if you let me know if they do end up taking themselves off the waitlist! I'll do the same.

On 2/27/2021 at 4:36 PM, MaoistTowelette said:

I'm an early modernist and I tanked at most of those. If you would ever feel comfortable sharing your SoP and writing sample I'd be grateful; I clearly do not know what to aim for, nor the right stance to take. Plus it's just plain fun checking out other folks' work ?.

I'm not as comfortable sharing my work, since I feel really strongly about my project, but I would be happy to look over yours!  Just PM me if you're comfortable with that.

Saw that the offers and wait lists for U of Rochester went out.  I know a lot of folks can't do campus visits because of the pandemic.  If anyone has any questions about U of R, feel free to send me a DM.

Alrighty folks! I just emailed Penn State, U Rochester, and UC Santa Barbara for some status updates.

The coordinator at Penn State said: "Our graduate studies committee makes offers on a rolling basis up to and including April 15. You will be notified by either phone or email as to our decision. Because of this, I am unable to give you a firm answer at this time, unfortunately."

The coordinator at UC Santa Barbara said letters will be sent out this week. As for U Rochester, I'll keep y'all posted. 

Yay hooray I only have to pretend to be working for another hour!!

Emailed Florida State for updates, got this back:

Thank you for reaching out. Because of an extraordinary increase in the number of applicants (twice as many as last year), we have not yet finalized our offers and our waiting lists. We appreciate your patience, and we thank you for your interest in Florida State University.

TWICE AS MANY???

21 minutes ago, missmarianne said:

I only have Michigan left and I went to a state school, so no hope there. I've decided I'm going to write a book, this year, and publish it out of spite. This process really fucking sucks, guys.

We are in the same situation, I feel your pain. If you are a creative writer as well, there are a few cool residencies, fellowships, etc that are accepting apps now. Personally I’m consoling myself by applying to more things and pretending I’m unbothered by all this rejection, all while setting myself up for more (probable) rejections. It’s a great strategy I know!!!

19 minutes ago, R Westy said:

We are in the same situation, I feel your pain. If you are a creative writer as well, there are a few cool residencies, fellowships, etc that are accepting apps now. Personally I’m consoling myself by applying to more things and pretending I’m unbothered by all this rejection, all while setting myself up for more (probable) rejections. It’s a great strategy I know!!!

I am not a creative writer, but I'm about to become one considering McSweeney's was the only place that sent me an acceptance this season. :) Having a real "don't go where you're not wanted" moment rn.