2021 Applicants

Is it typical for certain programs to not have any kind of welcome event/virtual visits for incoming students? I asked the grad student coordinator at UC San Diego if there is any way to learn more about the culture/department and she just sent me email addresses for current students, so I can reach out to them with any questions... I'm worried.

Also just a reminder that you are all so awesome and I'm super grateful to be part of this (virtual) community!

17 minutes ago, Lighthouse Lana said:

Is it typical for certain programs to not have any kind of welcome event/virtual visits for incoming students?

If I recall correctly (pre-covid), few schools had welcoming events/visits for incoming students. Of the programs which offered days you could visit, not all of them reimbursed costs.

I'm in the Tufts waiting game along with several others on here and just remembered that six faculty members are on leave for this semester...not sure if that has anything to do with why we haven't heard back from them, but thought it might be worth mentioning!

47 minutes ago, A Small Raven said:

MEEEEE. I've seen three waitlist notifications from UNC on the results page but absolutely no rejections or acceptances from them yet and I'm just like WHAT IS GOING ON

hello! I'm a longtime lurker on here and just made this account to hopefully gain some courage to post some questions here later on.. but I saw your post and wanted to say that UNC has at least sent out one acceptance (it was me!) I posted on the results a week ago but it was kind of buried. Either way, I have no idea if all acceptances/waitlists have been sent out yet:( but, with the fact that I was notified last week, I hope they send the rest out soon... the waiting game is horrible. I hope you hear some good news soon!!

Hi all just popping in to wish you all another round of good luck! Also, I saw someone on the results board post about UMich notifying in the first week of March, so if anyone gets in and would like to have a chat with a current student, please feel free to reach out! 

5 minutes ago, queenofcarrotflowers said:

I think this cycle has officially sent me cuckoo bc I just spent like 5 mins straight laughing at the terrible tufts pun on the results page 

THANK YOU THANK YOU! I think I'd get a standing ovation from dads everywhere.?

1 hour ago, freehandsnake said:

hello! I'm a longtime lurker on here and just made this account to hopefully gain some courage to post some questions here later on.. but I saw your post and wanted to say that UNC has at least sent out one acceptance (it was me!) I posted on the results a week ago but it was kind of buried. Either way, I have no idea if all acceptances/waitlists have been sent out yet:( but, with the fact that I was notified last week, I hope they send the rest out soon... the waiting game is horrible. I hope you hear some good news soon!!

Congratulations on your acceptance!! If you don't mind me asking, what's your area of focus?

I did see that sole acceptance post on the results page, but I thought english and comparative literature were two separate programs, as they are at many schools. However after doing more digging, it appears they're one and the same at UNC. Ooooohhh boy this makes my anxiety spike even more!! It's not looking good for me fam. ?

Edited by A Small Raven

6 minutes ago, A Small Raven said:

Congratulations on your acceptance!! I still can't find it on the results page though - were you accepted to the comparative literature program, or just the regular english program? I applied to the regular english program. 

thank you so much! My post on there is about 13 pages back now, but there is also a good chance that when I posted my results, that I listed it wrong lol-- I was accepted into the regular English phd program, but because the department as a whole is called English and Comp. Lit., I listed it as that

4 hours ago, mashatheicebear said:

Is this in the English department? I did the same in Comp Lit. I asked about the program (some specifics about the degree process and requirements, especially how my MA could be utilized to help cut down on my coursework), I asked a lot about TA-ships (since that is part of my funding deal), and about the place itself (where to live, etc - I have a family so I have other considerations to take into account in this respect). 

My specialization is a bit unusual for the department, so we talked a bit about crossover areas of interest, etc. I did a TON of research ahead of time, read the grad handbook, degree requirements, and so on, to make sure I got to ask all the clarifying questions I felt I needed at this point. You will never be able to ask everything, but you are starting the conversation and will be able to follow up, via email, should other questions arise. Your questions will be specific to your situation, but just know you won't think to ask everything. You will get lots of info and will probably come up with more questions as you chat. 

I've also been up for a visit campus and Davis since talking with folks in my department and would be happy to share my impressions of the physical space via PM, if that would be helpful to you. I didn't meet with anyone in person, but took a drive around and did some exploring. 

Hope your chat is helpful and informative!

I also applied to UC Davis' Com Lit., but haven't heard back from them (no rejection, waitlist, interview request, nothing). I'm thinking by now I should just assume rejection. Still wanna ask tho, do you think they could still be sending out anything other than rejections? Thank you very much!

17 minutes ago, Shake829 said:

Received response about the CUNY status. Those who have not received results were close to being admitted but we’re in specialties that did not take a large amount of people. When people accepted their offers, there was no use in putting us on the waitlist, because all spots in our specialities had been taken. 

this is disappointing but helpful to know, I guess! 

1 minute ago, brockdenbrown802 said:

this is disappointing but helpful to know, I guess! 

Your situation could be different! I recommend reaching out. The director is very kind and complimented me on my application. It should feel good to know that your application has potential!

5 minutes ago, Shake829 said:

Your situation could be different! I recommend reaching out. The director is very kind and complimented me on my application. It should feel good to know that your application has potential!

Ahh okay that's good to know that they were nice about it! That's true, I should reach out - reading back in the thread I saw you're early modern and I'm 19th/sometimes 20th, lol. So maybe there's something else up w/ mine or another batch!

Thank you so much :)

Edited to add: I'm going to reach out tomorrow AM if anyone is following, to get within "business hours" (even though COVID has somewhat ruined the concept...) 

Edited by brockdenbrown802
to add:

1 hour ago, A Small Raven said:

Congratulations on your acceptance!! If you don't mind me asking, what's your area of focus?

I did see that sole acceptance post on the results page, but I thought english and comparative literature were two separate programs, as they are at many schools. However after doing more digging, it appears they're one and the same at UNC. Ooooohhh boy this makes my anxiety spike even more!! It's not looking good for me fam. ?

my area of focus is 20th century American lit! ahhh I'm wishing the best for you !!!??

Edited by freehandsnake

1 hour ago, TTFilmMedia said:

I also applied to UC Davis' Com Lit., but haven't heard back from them (no rejection, waitlist, interview request, nothing). I'm thinking by now I should just assume rejection. Still wanna ask tho, do you think they could still be sending out anything other than rejections? Thank you very much!

Hi @TTFilmMedia. I honestly am not sure where they are on in the process. I know interviews are done and I *think*, based on the results page, that all acceptances have been sent out, for now. (I believe they said there were four spots and those four folks appear to have been contacted.) I don't know their process about notifying people about waitlist versus rejections, but it looks like, historically, that rejections go out anywhere from late February to mid-March.

There is no harm in reaching out for more info, in my opinion. I am still awaiting replies from three programs and reached out to all, just to ask when I might expect to hear from them. I heard back from two with info about when I could expect to hear, which has helped me temper my anxiety a bit. 

Hope this helps! Will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Does anyone know when Purdue will send out decisions?/Has anyone heard back from them? 

Their email said 4-6 weeks after application submission, but I have heard nothing (their app was due early early Jan.) 

2 hours ago, gloryous said:

Does anyone know when Purdue will send out decisions?/Has anyone heard back from them? 

Their email said 4-6 weeks after application submission, but I have heard nothing (their app was due early early Jan.) 

I didn’t apply for Purdue, but I think I saw some acceptances on the admissions page a few days ago. Did you see those?  

It also never hurts to just reach out. They’ll either assure you that no decisions have been made or end your suffering, so to speak. Good luck.