2021 Applicants

@ whoever posted the acceptance to the Brooklyn College MA program - I went there and had a great experience! 

If you have any questions about the program and/or faculty feel free to PM me! :)

Edited by brockdenbrown802
spelling, it's early

20 hours ago, mashatheicebear said:

Is this in the English department? I did the same in Comp Lit. I asked about the program (some specifics about the degree process and requirements, especially how my MA could be utilized to help cut down on my coursework), I asked a lot about TA-ships (since that is part of my funding deal), and about the place itself (where to live, etc - I have a family so I have other considerations to take into account in this respect). 

My specialization is a bit unusual for the department, so we talked a bit about crossover areas of interest, etc. I did a TON of research ahead of time, read the grad handbook, degree requirements, and so on, to make sure I got to ask all the clarifying questions I felt I needed at this point. You will never be able to ask everything, but you are starting the conversation and will be able to follow up, via email, should other questions arise. Your questions will be specific to your situation, but just know you won't think to ask everything. You will get lots of info and will probably come up with more questions as you chat. 

I've also been up for a visit campus and Davis since talking with folks in my department and would be happy to share my impressions of the physical space via PM, if that would be helpful to you. I didn't meet with anyone in person, but took a drive around and did some exploring. 

Hope your chat is helpful and informative!

Yes, it is for English!

Had a great casual chat with the Davis faculty member yesterday - very enthusiastic about the school and the program! They seem flexible and more than willing to work with the ideas I threw out there.

Thanks again @mashatheicebear, @Shake829, and @queenofcarrotflowers for the tips and advice!!

16 hours ago, brockdenbrown802 said:

Ahh okay that's good to know that they were nice about it! That's true, I should reach out - reading back in the thread I saw you're early modern and I'm 19th/sometimes 20th, lol. So maybe there's something else up w/ mine or another batch!

Thank you so much :)

Edited to add: I'm going to reach out tomorrow AM if anyone is following, to get within "business hours" (even though COVID has somewhat ruined the concept...) 

If comfortable, let me know if you hear anything back. I may want to send an email too...assuming rejection but still haven't received any updates via portal. 

17 minutes ago, torok2021 said:

If comfortable, let me know if you hear anything back. I may want to send an email too...assuming rejection but still haven't received any updates via portal. 

I just received a response :)

I was rejected, but the director was very nice/insightful about my application's review - he did mention that admissions would be posting the decisions shortly. Although, either way, it may be worth reaching out to him for some sort of feedback? I didn't ask for that specifically, but he offered in via a response about the status. 

I hope this helps! 

2 minutes ago, brockdenbrown802 said:

I just received a response :)

I was rejected, but the director was very nice/insightful about my application's review - he did mention that admissions would be posting the decisions shortly. Although, either way, it may be worth reaching out to him for some sort of feedback? I didn't ask for that specifically, but he offered in via a response about the status. 

I hope this helps! 

Totally. Thank you for the response! I think I will reach out. 

I was at my personal training session today and was *sucking wind*. My trainer asked me if I've been stressed or have had a rough few days.

Me: *remembering last night I ugly cried to my boyfriend for over an hour about how stressed I was about hearing back from Notre Dame and getting off of waitlists and that I can't plan anything right now until I know which is driving me crazy* Also me: "hmm.. no I can't think of anything that would be doing this"

On 2/24/2021 at 10:39 AM, cassidyaxx said:

I was at my personal training session today and was *sucking wind*. My trainer asked me if I've been stressed or have had a rough few days.

Me: *remembering last night I ugly cried to my boyfriend for over an hour about how stressed I was about hearing back from Notre Dame and getting off of waitlists and that I can't plan anything right now until I know which is driving me crazy* Also me: "hmm.. no I can't think of anything that would be doing this"

I hope the best for you! 

I am in a similar boat - two waitlists ?  trying to be hopeful, but it is extremely stressful! 

3 hours ago, cassidyaxx said:

Omgggg I'm sending you any positive energy I can today! I mostly lurk but I see how much you support everyone in this lil virtual community. I'm really hoping for the best for you. ❤️ I understand the anxiety that comes with not being able to plan anything...I feel like this entire last year has done that to a lot of us re: the pandemic. We either can't make plans or we do and then the universe laughs in our faces haha. Grad apps are another added layer on top of everything else. You're doing amazing, though, and we all really appreciate your presence. I really feel like any school would benefit from having you around. I'm hoping you hear good news back from the waitlists soon!

So, I don't want to be negative, but I'm sensing a rejection from Virginia. I've only seen two acceptances and like one waitlist on the results page. Also, does anyone know what's going on with Penn State? I only see one acceptance, and the comment is asking if anyone's heard from them. 

40 minutes ago, dogeared said:

You're doing amazing, though, and we all really appreciate your presence. I really feel like any school would benefit from having you around. I'm hoping you hear good news back from the waitlists soon!

Thank you so much for this, I have really been struggling the last few days and have been feeling really defeated and self-conscious (from grad apps but also other reasons) and this post made me cry happy tears. I remember my family lost power randomly on Thanksgiving and my mom was so upset because of all the food she had cooking/needed to be cooked and I just started laughing hysterically, because it really does seem like the universe really is laughing in our faces, especially in the last few months! It's really hard to be part of this process and so your words mean a lot to me. 

1 minute ago, cassidyaxx said:

Thank you so much for this, I have really been struggling the last few days and have been feeling really defeated and self-conscious (from grad apps but also other reasons) and this post made me cry happy tears. I remember my family lost power randomly on Thanksgiving and my mom was so upset because of all the food she had cooking/needed to be cooked and I just started laughing hysterically, because it really does seem like the universe really is laughing in our faces, especially in the last few months! It's really hard to be part of this process and so your words mean a lot to me. 

@dogeared is right! @cassidyaxx I just want to echo everything they said. And add that I really admire your resilience and dedication to your work. Your research truly is so interesting, and it's been so cool to see how it's developed over the past few years. I really hope there is waitlist movement and you hear good things sooner rather than later. We are all rooting for you here (not to be corny and quote Whitman, but we are with you and know how it is). This process really beats you down. Please take care of yourself and be gentle with yourself. Your work is meaningful and valuable; you have something to contribute and something to say. But even beyond that, you are meaningful and valuable, separate from your work. The stress of this process is so debilitating, and on top of all the other stressors in the world right now...it's so much to carry. I hope this little community can help remind you (and me, and everyone else here) that we're not alone in this, and that we are here to build each other up and care for each other as scholars and as people. Manifesting good news for you, and soon.

15 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

I hope this little community can help remind you (and me, and everyone else here) that we're not alone in this, and that we are here to build each other up and care for each other as scholars and as people. Manifesting good news for you, and soon.

Omg really thank you so much for your kind words. ❤️ It has truly been so great to see everyone grow as scholars and perhaps even more importantly, I'm glad to know there will be such compassionate and supportive people going into academia. I am so happy for the people who have received good news already and I do feel hopeful that a lot of us will continue to receive it either by moving off of a waitlist or getting unsuspected acceptances! 

Also, would anyone be interested in a waitlist/movement thread? I don't remember if they had one last cycle but there was one for the 2019 cycle and I found it pretty helpful for those of us who are largely waitlisted well, everywhere lol

1 hour ago, cassidyaxx said:

Also, would anyone be interested in a waitlist/movement thread? I don't remember if they had one last cycle but there was one for the 2019 cycle and I found it pretty helpful for those of us who are largely waitlisted well, everywhere lol

I’d be interested in a waitlist thread! I have some offers but am waitlisted at 4 places including my top choice (uhg)

Hello everyone! I am a long time lurker and first time poster to the forum. I decided to create a profile and join in on the discussion because there seems to be an influx of waitlisted applicants this season, myself included. I applied to Northeastern's PhD program in English, but was placed on the waitlist, which has been rather difficult to accept since this program is my first and only choice. The purgatory comparison is accurate, ha ha.

It is nice to meet you all! ?