2021 Applicants

13 minutes ago, missmarianne said:

McSweeney's took my essay, y'all!! I'm so excited to see something that's not a rejection in my inbox! :)

congrats!! please please share with this thread once it's published, so excited to read it

1 minute ago, NervousYolk said:

i'm partly convinced pulling names out of a hat is a part of the admissions selection process! they probably also roll some dice to decide the number of students to admit and throw darts at a map to pick international students ?

Is this like Mary-Kate and Ashley throwing a dart at a map to decide what movie they're doing next? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? 

21 minutes ago, Cloudbury said:

Has anyone received an email from UVA called “University of Virginia Graduate Diversity Resources”. This is my first communication from them... anyone accepted? 

Also just got that email... annoying bc I’m fairly sure they’ve already sent out all acceptances and waitlists and I’m just waiting for the official rejection, so this email is totally irrelevant to me lol. 

*edited to add: Not trying to discourage hope here, I’m just grumpy af at this point in the season. Good luck to us both!!

Edited by R Westy

On 2/17/2021 at 1:19 PM, brockdenbrown802 said:

Yes - same to you!! It's so stressful trying to figure out what goes on behind the scenes... full knowing we can't really, haha! Hopefully good news for both of us :) 

I got an email today from CUNY that I am waitlisted. Hope you and the other CUNY tea leaf-readers got okay news too!!

13 minutes ago, icedwithoatmilk said:

I got an email today from CUNY that I am waitlisted. Hope you and the other CUNY tea leaf-readers got okay news too!!

ahhh I hope you end up getting in :) still nothing in my portal, so I'm guessing a rejection is coming, but that's okay! 

...anybody know what is going on with Penn State and/or U Rochester? I see that there is only one acceptance for each program, and I know I have to take into consideration all of the people who are not on Grad Cafe, but it's so unnerving to see one acceptance for an entire program, ya know?

I was supposed to be so productive today. Now I'm ordering Shake Shack and staring unblinkingly at my laptop. Will I shower? Will I leave the couch before midnight? TBD.

5 minutes ago, brockdenbrown802 said:

ahhh I hope you end up getting in :) still nothing in my portal, so I'm guessing a rejection is coming, but that's okay! 

There was actually no change to my portal, I just got an email. I've seen on the results page that some acceptances are still coming in today, so I'm still rooting for you!

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse Lana said:

...anybody know what is going on with Penn State and/or U Rochester? I see that there is only one acceptance for each program, and I know I have to take into consideration all of the people who are not on Grad Cafe, but it's so unnerving to see one acceptance for an entire program, ya know?

I was supposed to be so productive today. Now I'm ordering Shake Shack and staring unblinkingly at my laptop. Will I shower? Will I leave the couch before midnight? TBD.

I also saw that with Penn State... it seems like in past years, though, acceptances came over a week or two, so I'm sure there are still some. Doesn't help with the waiting by the computer though ?

I just got notifcation that my graduate program also extended offers of admission to six other students, that seems like a lot to me..? Are they anticipating that most will decline the offer? It also doesn't make too much sense since I was put as an "alternate for funding," so does that mean they they have funded offers but not me, and if so, then how did they choose who would be given funded offers? Does anyone know more about this situation?

1 hour ago, Cloudbury said:

Has anyone received an email from UVA called “University of Virginia Graduate Diversity Resources”. This is my first communication from them... anyone accepted? 

Hi! First time poster, but I was one of the UVA waitlists, and also received this email. 

31 minutes ago, torok2021 said:

Same. Bummed. Assuming rejection but more ambiguity. Great, love this...

Well, I saw someone shared the waitlist letter, and they said they took 13 people. Only three acceptances are up. Let’s just hope for the best :) 

Also, what is your specialty? Mine is early modern. Maybe decisions weren’t made in our field(s).