2021 Applicants

42 minutes ago, AnxiousKnuckles said:

Hi, I am new here. I am not one who can adequately verbalize their anxiety. That's why I have been restraining myself from participating in this forum (the community here, however, with its positivity has alleviated much of my tension). But now, I just cannot bear this dreadful waiting...especially seeing the "accepted" post for OSU on the results page (where my application status is still "pending") made my anxiety skyrocket. Does OSU send out acceptances first and then rejections? Does this mean I should be preparing for a sure rejection? I'm freaking out.

Hi! I'm new here too, as of a few days ago. I totally understand your anxiety - mine has skyrocketed so much over the last few days, I've been struggling with finding ways to cope. Personally, academic admissions has always been a weird struggle for me - despite being an excellent student and having good extracurriculars, varied interests and lots of passion and commitment, I have NEVER gotten into even the top three schools of my choice - not for undergrad, not for grad school, not even for high school! 

This forum has definitely helped me though, in finding a community of people who are going through the exact same stress and anxiety that I am! We just have to keep reminding ourselves that we're all in this together - even though admissions is technically "competitive," it shouldn't pit us against each other. 

Hope you hear good news soon! 

37 minutes ago, arrowseeker said:

Thank you! :) I checked the portal after seeing the results page, so I guess the person who first posted their acceptance isn't on this forum. I haven't received any emails yet though! 

46 minutes ago, AnxiousKnuckles said:

Hi, I am new here. I am not one who can adequately verbalize their anxiety. That's why I have been restraining myself from participating in this forum (the community here, however, with its positivity has alleviated much of my tension). But now, I just cannot bear this dreadful waiting...especially seeing the "accepted" post for OSU on the results page (where my application status is still "pending") made my anxiety skyrocket. Does OSU send out acceptances first and then rejections? Does this mean I should be preparing for a sure rejection? I'm freaking out.

Hi everyone, I'm actually the person who posted my acceptance to OSU first. I just created an account to write a short reply to this forum because I see many of you are curious about OSU's application status. The moment I saw I was accepted on the portal, I automatically assumed that the application status would've been updated for every applicant as well and posted my result right away--but it seems that many of the statuses are still marked pending, looking at this forum.

Although it's purely conjectural, my guess is that OSU is perhaps rolling in the decisions one by one..? Just to let you know, I applied to the program quite early before mid-November, since international applicants normally have an earlier deadline compared to the domestic students in the US. Or from the fact that the only two posters who got accepted to OSU are international students, maybe the program is perhaps reviewing international applications first..? But these are just my guesses.

Anyway, I hope all of you who applied to OSU hear some good news very soon!

How do you all feel about the weight that is going to be placed on GRE scores (for the programs that require it)? I know this is really dependent on your field of study. As someone in Arts & Humanities, less than half of the programs I applied to required the GRE. Given the pandemic, I'm wondering if my score will really matter in a potentially more competitive applicant pool. 

Edited by jkv152

43 minutes ago, CCort said:

Hi! I'm new here too, as of a few days ago. I totally understand your anxiety - mine has skyrocketed so much over the last few days, I've been struggling with finding ways to cope. Personally, academic admissions has always been a weird struggle for me - despite being an excellent student and having good extracurriculars, varied interests and lots of passion and commitment, I have NEVER gotten into even the top three schools of my choice - not for undergrad, not for grad school, not even for high school! 

This forum has definitely helped me though, in finding a community of people who are going through the exact same stress and anxiety that I am! We just have to keep reminding ourselves that we're all in this together - even though admissions is technically "competitive," it shouldn't pit us against each other. 

Hope you hear good news soon! 

I know right! This is so unnerving, and sharing this experience with good people indeed helps. I would have gone insane by overthinking every second or just by living inside my head (which, I promise, is a nightmare), if I didn't find this forum. I wish you and all the beautiful people here the very best of this season! May everyone get into their desired schools.

35 minutes ago, caramel macchiato said:

Hi everyone, I'm actually the person who posted my acceptance to OSU first. I just created an account to write a short reply to this forum because I see many of you are curious about OSU's application status. The moment I saw I was accepted on the portal, I automatically assumed that the application status would've been updated for every applicant as well and posted my result right away--but it seems that many of the statuses are still marked pending, looking at this forum.

Although it's purely conjectural, my guess is that OSU is perhaps rolling in the decisions one by one..? Just to let you know, I applied to the program quite early before mid-November, since international applicants normally have an earlier deadline compared to the domestic students in the US. Or from the fact that the only two posters who got accepted to OSU are international students, maybe the program is perhaps reviewing international applications first..? But these are just my guesses.

I am also an international applicant... so I don't really know what to think of it. However, congratulations on your acceptance!! And thanks for going to the trouble of making an account here, just to try to put our, fellow OSU applicants', mind at ease. 
By the way, what is your specialty area? Do you mind telling?

9 minutes ago, AnxiousKnuckles said:

I am also an international applicant... so I don't really know what to think of it. However, congratulations on your acceptance!! And thanks for going to the trouble of making an account here, just to try to put our, fellow OSU applicants', mind at ease. 
By the way, what is your specialty area? Do you mind telling?

Thank you, and I hope you also hear a good news back soon! I'm mainly focusing on nineteenth-century British.

10 minutes ago, caramel macchiato said:

Thank you, and I hope you also hear a good news back soon! I'm mainly focusing on nineteenth-century British.

Great! Thanks! Wish you the best for your other applications as well.

Edited by AnxiousKnuckles

1 hour ago, caramel macchiato said:

This is super helpful to know! I really appreciate you making an account just to help ease the fears for other applicants. It definitely brings a new perspective as to where I might be at since I'm a domestic applicant. And, of course, congrats on your acceptance!

1 hour ago, jkv152 said:

How do you all feel about the weight that is going to be placed on GRE scores (for the programs that require it)? I know this is really dependent on your field of study. As someone in Arts & Humanities, less than half of the programs I applied to required the GRE. Given the pandemic, I'm wondering if my score will really matter in a potentially more competitive applicant pool. 

I'm currently a PhD candidate at a large R1 public university and through conversations I've had with faculty over the years, your GRE score is not weighted very heavily at all for admission. The most important pieces of your app are by far your writing sample, LORs, and statement of purpose. Surprisingly, LORs actually hold a lot of weight — when I was applying, I figured everyone would have good letters and it wouldn't matter so much but they do read them closely. I think they really read those three pieces I mentioned and most of the time decide who they'll admit based off those three parts of the app. YMMV based on each individual program of course, but this is my experience. 

Sending good vibes to you all — happy to weigh in on any other topics that may be on your mind at this point in the cycle! It's been years since I applied but I still remember the anxiety...

Edited by helloperil

Just now, helloperil said:

I'm currently a PhD candidate at a large R1 public university and through conversations I've had with faculty over the years, your GRE score is not weighted very heavily at all for admission. The most important pieces of your app are by far your writing sample, LORs, and statement of purpose. Surprisingly, LORs actually hold a lot of weight — when I was applying, I figured everyone would have good letters and it wouldn't matter so much but they do read them closely. I think they really read those three pieces I mentioned and most of the time decide who they'll admit based off those three parts of the app. YMMV based on each individual program of course, but this is my experience. 

Sending good vibes to you all — happy to weigh in on any other topics that may be on your mind at this point in the cycle! It's been years since I applied but I still remember the anxiety...

This is very helpful, thank you! My GRE score isn't terrible, but it certainly isn't as strong as what I've seen posted on this site. My LORs, writing sample and statement of purpose are by far my strongest assets. I'm very happy to hear that. This news perked up my day. Now I just have to get through this painful period of waiting :(

Hi everyone! I'm new here (but have been lurking for a bit). I saw that some people got interviews for one of the schools I applied to -- I didn't hear anything so I'm taking that as a rejection and moving forward. Hopefully this forum will help alleviate some stress I have for the other programs I applied to. Nice to meet you all.

Congrats to everyone accepted!

To all of y'all expecting to hear back in the coming days, stay strong! It's a crazy process and you should be proud of yourselves for getting through it, regardless of the outcome. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!!

4 minutes ago, Alyycat said:

Also, anyone know if OSU rolls out all acceptances at once?

a friend of mine is currently studying at OSU and when she got accepted they sent the acceptance emails one by one ... but I am wondering if anyone got rejected already so I could hold on to some hope 

Edited by AJL_OSU

1 hour ago, dogeared said:

Hi everyone! I'm new here (but have been lurking for a bit). I saw that some people got interviews for one of the schools I applied to -- I didn't hear anything so I'm taking that as a rejection and moving forward. Hopefully this forum will help alleviate some stress I have for the other programs I applied to. Nice to meet you all.

Hey there :) I noticed your profile says creative writing - I'm just curious what other programs you applied to? Creative Writing PhD programs are so few and far between it seems like, and I had trouble finding them in locations where I was actually willing to move. I applied to University of Denver and UT Knoxville's creative PhD programs, and the rest I applied to were for english/lit. 

59 minutes ago, AJL_OSU said:

hi! International applicant here. For the people who got accepted, did you get an email as well? 

Traditionally it seems like they post on the website and emails go out a few days later. But rejections/waitlists come later. Not sure if it's all rolled out at once or if it goes with subject area, etc. 

16 minutes ago, kirbs005 said:

Traditionally it seems like they post on the website and emails go out a few days later. But rejections/waitlists come later. Not sure if it's all rolled out at once or if it goes with subject area, etc. 

i'mjust so confused cause in previous years they told people who got rejected first and then they sent an email to people who got accepted one by one... I dont know im honestly freaking out

26 minutes ago, Alyycat said:

I am too aaaaa. I would really just prefer a rejection or waitlist notification from the school to temper my fears.

I dont have any hope left atm, just want to know so I can move on :( I tried calling the English department but they weren't available and calling from my home country is super expensive