2021 Applicants

Quick question: When you get an acceptance, when is the deadline to accept/decline the offer? I received my first acceptance a couple of days ago, and it's still pretty early. I'm just wondering if every school/department has their own accept/decline deadline or not.

If anyone is aware of this, LMK. Thanks!

Edited by The Maritime Scholar

3 hours ago, The Maritime Scholar said:

Quick question: When you get an acceptance, when is the deadline to accept/decline the offer? I received my first acceptance a couple of days ago, and it's still pretty early. I'm just wondering if every school/department has their own accept/decline deadline or not.

April 15th is the standard deadline for all US schools. Of course, if you’ve definitely decided against a programme you should inform the university ASAP to free up waitlist spots. :)

3 hours ago, The Maritime Scholar said:

Also, huge congratulations on your offer!

1 hour ago, arrowseeker said:

Anyone waiting for Northwestern's results? I thought I was coping with the waiting better than I expected and now the suspense has started to make me really nervous ?

I'm waiting to hear from them re: Comp Lit and it's wearing on me. They (and UWMadison, tho for English) look like they notify soon. Blech. I'm not having an easy time distracting myself.

2 minutes ago, angrychalupa said:

I'm waiting to hear from them re: Comp Lit and it's wearing on me. They (and UWMadison, tho for English) look like they notify soon. Blech. I'm not having an easy time distracting myself.

I'm waiting to hear from UW Madison too! Based on previous years' results, I suppose UW will likely send out results early this week and Northwestern the following week? Best of luck to both of us!

On 1/22/2021 at 5:33 PM, Kapol-in said:

Dang, what program for UCSB? I see that your program is in Film and Media Studies, IDK if there's a sub for that on Gradecafe but they probably would like to know that decisions are being made from that school. Anyway, that sucks but hopefully you'll get in somewhere!

Yeah, it was the Film & Media Studies PhD program. I have a feeling I wasn't a good fit for their department research-wise. I did add the decision to the results page. I am hopeful and I have a feeling I'll hear back from one or two schools this week! Thanks!

On 1/24/2021 at 8:09 PM, arrowseeker said:

Anyone waiting for Northwestern's results? I thought I was coping with the waiting better than I expected and now the suspense has started to make me really nervous ?

I'm also waiting for Northwestern. I just saw on the result page that someone received an acceptance phone call from Northwestern yesterday. I haven't heard anything from them, so I'm assuming the worst now.

22 minutes ago, Magic Lantern said:

I'm also waiting for Northwestern. I just saw on the result page that someone received an acceptance phone call from Northwestern yesterday. I haven't heard anything from them, so I'm assuming the worst now.

same! :( crossing my fingers for both of us though.

Edited by angrychalupa

Quick update George Washington University’s English Graduate Program: I emailed them regarding my application and they were very cordial and incredibly friendly. But they have not even received the applications from the main graduate office ?! My toes are tied in knots and they haven’t even seen my application yet. I dont know whether to be happy or sad.

I'm feeling the gradcafe regret right about now. I love the camaraderie and I crave updates for my sanity, but I think finding out news has made me even more anxious. Having heard that Duke has finalized acceptances and are awaiting approval from the graduate school has made me extremely on edge and anxious ?. I am so all over the place and can't focus and I have a thesis to write.... My heart has been pounding since the morning. What have you all been doing to try and help focus on work? It is one thing to distract yourself with hobbies/watching shows, but I am finding working on anything grad school related next to impossible....

17 minutes ago, semiotic_mess said:

I'm feeling the gradcafe regret right about now. I love the camaraderie and I crave updates for my sanity, but I think finding out news has made me even more anxious. Having heard that Duke has finalized acceptances and are awaiting approval from the graduate school has made me extremely on edge and anxious ?. I am so all over the place and can't focus and I have a thesis to write.... My heart has been pounding since the morning. What have you all been doing to try and help focus on work? It is one thing to distract yourself with hobbies/watching shows, but I am finding working on anything grad school related next to impossible....

I so feel this. I've found myself refreshing and refreshing the results page even though the little voice in my head is like, "...do you really think they added results in the last four minutes?" I think the biggest struggle I face with this process is the complete lack of control. We have absolutely no clue when to expect the next batch of admissions/rejections to roll in and the only way to feel like I'm on top of it is to refresh the results page. 

I also think the pandemic makes this process WAY more intense. We're already all at our laptops for work or school, so there's no reason not to stare at the results page all day. If we've learned anything from this hellish year, it's that you have to be extra kind to yourself. I can't give you pointers to help you focus on your studies because I'd be a total hypocrite (I'm actively not doing my job rn). I think it's so important to know that your feelings are valid, anxiety can be paralyzing, and you deserve to cut yourself some slack. I'm sorry we're in it, but it won't last forever I promise!!

46 minutes ago, semiotic_mess said:

What have you all been doing to try and help focus on work? It is one thing to distract yourself with hobbies/watching shows, but I am finding working on anything grad school related next to impossible....

It is so difficult not to check the results and my email all the time! The only thing that has helped me is to give myself specific times when I'm working to stop and check Gradcafe. For instance, if I'm in class or teaching, I say "you can check the websites one hour from now." Or, if you go out to the store, you can't check until you get back home. I still end up checking impulsively sometimes, but if I need to focus on something else, I can at least force myself to spend a chunk of time on being productive rather than just continuously checking the site.

While this is my first post, I’ve lurked on gradcafe off and on for 8 years (this is my 5th graduate school application cycle, it worked out twice—I will soon have two MAs—but I’m still striving for the right PhD fit). Alongside many of you, I’ve read and felt dozens of versions of what semiotic_mess (and as I drafted this, Lighthouse Lana) just posted.

My first application cycle, I had insomnia, jaw pain (from stress-clenching and teeth-grinding), a lack of focus, a gradcafe addiction, and frequent anxiety attacks for months. This cycle, I am really only plagued with the lack of focus—but even that could be just as easily attributed to persistent pandemic malaise or to my personality. Application season got better for me, but it did not get easy. What I mean to say is, many of us will suffer, to some extent, every time we go through an application cycle—and that is so understandable, even natural. And while we may recognize the discomfort of dwelling in uncertainty as inevitable, that doesn’t stop us from trying to escape that discomfort.

My practical advice is to set additional goals for your progress as a scholar that are more independent of application outcomes—such as to submit a paper proposal to a conference you are interested in, or to compile and work through a bibliography of material that will help you enhance your expertise in your research area, or to make some scholarly connections in your field through professor networking or academic society memberships. This strategy may help subdue a feeling that EVERYTHING rides on your applications. It may help you feel as though you are still progressing on your scholarly path, even if not in the efficient way you first imagined. Most importantly, many of those strategies lie more in your control: no application review committee can prevent you from reading and learning more about your field.

Wishing everyone hope for the future and healthy coping strategies.

Hi all-- I've been trying to avoid Grad Cafe because I feel like I will start to go even crazier waiting lol, but just wanted to say hi and wish you all the best of luck :)

@Lighthouse Lana NEU was my undergrad for English so I'm very familiar with the department if you have any questions! 

Edited by Doc Sportello

9 minutes ago, Alyycat said:

Anyone here hear back from Wisconsin-Madison yet?

(also still positively *freaked* about still being pending @ OSU)

Yeah, I got in!  Very excited ?

The Oregon news is terrifying.  I am super worried other places will also close soon.  I wonder why they realized so late?

16 minutes ago, Alyycat said:

Anyone here hear back from Wisconsin-Madison yet?

(also still positively *freaked* about still being pending @ OSU)

I saw someone posted an acceptance, but I haven't heard from them yet.

Edited by arrowseeker

1 minute ago, 1 Pint of Ricotta said:

Yeah, I got in!  Very excited ?

The Oregon news is terrifying.  I am super worried other places will also close soon.  I wonder why they realized so late?

Hey, congratulations!! ? If I may ask, are you the person who posted the results?