2021 Applicants

20 hours ago, LtotheOG said:

I kinda feel like they are on track, so maybe time’s stretched? Lol.

in any case, I did have an informal acceptance from nyu by this time 2019.

The schools I applied to are a bit off track. Emory hasn’t sent out interviews and are a bit behind. So id Duke. And WSU said that they are delayed and have yet to even get the applications from the office of graduate studies. 

It’s entirely understandable. This is the first application of its kind. Many schools have closed and we are one year in a global pandemic. I would expect them to be behind! it’d be surprising if they wern’t 

On 1/29/2021 at 3:56 PM, winterbearr said:

schools would normally only email results till around 6pm right? as in they wouldn't be emailing in the evening during non business hours? asking for a friend lol 

I got an acceptance from UW-Madison at 7:15pm! It may have been automated but definitely after 6pm

1 minute ago, queenofcarrotflowers said:

Out of curiosity, those of you who have started to get acceptances/ rejections, do you feel better or more nervous after hearing back and waiting on the rest?

For me, kind of both!! I got my first rejection last week and it honestly was such a relief to hear some kind of news. However, it was from one of my lower ranked schools, so even though I'd prepped myself for months about how TONS of people get accepted from higher ranked programs after being turned away for lower ranked programs, I found myself more nervous and doubting myself. That being said, my emotions have been on the wildest journey they've ever been throughout this process so it is constantly changing and in flux haha. Sorry for the rambling non-answer!!

8 minutes ago, 1 Pint of Ricotta said:

Ooh, where did you hear that?

Went ahead and fucked around and emailed the uhhh DGS was it? Or some Professor who seemed like she would know. Got back on a Saturday (whoops—I personally forgot it was the weekend) on her iPhone. Class. (No sarcasm at all here; that rules.)

Just now, robertsona_grad said:

Went ahead and fucked around and emailed the uhhh DGS was it? Or some Professor who seemed like she would know. Got back on a Saturday (whoops—I personally forgot it was the weekend) on her iPhone. Class. (No sarcasm at all here; that rules.)

Wow, I love that

1 hour ago, ghost-enthusiast said:

Does anyone know what the deal is with the UConn fellowships? It says on my portal that I've been nominated for one by a faculty member, but also feel like maybe they just nominate all applicants? Does anyone have any insight? 

Hi there! I currently attend UConn. My portal doesn't say that, at least as far as I can see. I know that the DGS is currently working on the fellowship applications right now, so I'd say that's a great sign for you and you'll probably get accepted! I know they are only accepting a cohort of 5 this year, so I don't think she would waste time on sending out a fellowship nom if they weren't planning on accepting you.

1 hour ago, queenofcarrotflowers said:

Out of curiosity, those of you who have started to get acceptances/ rejections, do you feel better or more nervous after hearing back and waiting on the rest?

More nervous! For some reason I had the thought in my head that this cycle I would start off with some good news, which didn't happen lol. I'm super afraid I'll have a shutout. BUT I keep telling myself miracles can happen haha.

23 minutes ago, cassidyaxx said:

Hi there! I currently attend UConn. My portal doesn't say that, at least as far as I can see. I know that the DGS is currently working on the fellowship applications right now, so I'd say that's a great sign for you and you'll probably get accepted! I know they are only accepting a cohort of 5 this year, so I don't think she would waste time on sending out a fellowship nom if they weren't planning on accepting you.

Thank you so much for the info! Crossing my fingers for both of us! 

5 hours ago, queenofcarrotflowers said:

For some strange reason, while I do feel better with an acceptance, I am still very nervous and checking this portal obsessively. ?

I'm seeing results from Northwestern and getting super anxious. I've read from the last year's posts that some of those who got accepted got phone calls on the weekend and the rest on the following Monday, and now I'm hopelessly wondering if I might be the case or I'm just rejected ???

Edited by arrowseeker

9 hours ago, queenofcarrotflowers said:

Oh I feel so much better (that is, relieved)... knowing (that is, inferring from the first and only rejection so far) that I don’t stand a chance....! Lol

good question, btw.

Edited by LtotheOG

10 hours ago, robertsona_grad said:

FWIW Yale says “next week or two; no later than Feb 15”

And this from Princeton English, btw:

“..we go through several committees, and the process takes a little while; in the past, things (generally)  aren’t finalized until late February or early March.”

(history as reflected on the Results here confirms as well)

Edited by LtotheOG

On 1/29/2021 at 3:44 PM, The Maritime Scholar said:

I was wondering if anyone else received an email like this from the director of grad admissions. It seems that I will be receiving funding, but it may not be the max. I'm not sure. I guess these are questions for when he calls me in February. 

Let me know. Thanks!

In the waitlist email I got from OSU the DGS said they anticipate fully funding everyone accepted to the program and gave a specific dollar amount. I know you mentioned that you were offered/nominated for a fellowship as well, right? I wonder if they're waiting on that or not? But they were fairly open about the fact that they anticipate funding everyone even though it was a waitlist email. 

17 hours ago, queenofcarrotflowers said:

To be honest, if I had gotten a rejection first instead of an acceptance, I’d probably be worried. My mindset now is that if all else fails, then I already got an acceptance. Haha ?

11 minutes ago, kirbs005 said:

In the waitlist email I got from OSU the DGS said they anticipate fully funding everyone accepted to the program and gave a specific dollar amount. I know you mentioned that you were offered/nominated for a fellowship as well, right? I wonder if they're waiting on that or not? But they were fairly open about the fact that they anticipate funding everyone even though it was a waitlist email. 

Ah, okay. Yeah, they provided a specific dollar amount. And yes, I was nominated for a fellowship, which they said the decisions would be made on February 16. They would go over my funding package and the fellowship decisions with me during the phone call. 

So apparently two points of concern here:

a. How routine is an interview before being accepted for PhD programs in English?

b. With January past, is there still time to be invited for an interview?

Inputs are heavily appreciated!

17 hours ago, ghost-enthusiast said:

Does anyone know what the deal is with the UConn fellowships? It says on my portal that I've been nominated for one by a faculty member, but also feel like maybe they just nominate all applicants? Does anyone have any insight? 

Out of curiosity, where on your application portal does it say that?

3 minutes ago, LtotheOG said:

So apparently two points of concern here:

a. How routine is an interview before being accepted for PhD programs in English?

b. With January past, is there still time to be invited for an interview?

Inputs are heavily appreciated!

a. Routine only for a few programmes. Some programmes (eg Chicago) require an interview to admit you, others interview a few, but not all, of their admits (historically this has been the case for Stanford, but don't quote me on that. Strangely, some of the interview posts from last year seem to have disappeared from the results page...). You can see if any of the programmes you've applied to interview by checking the results page.

b. Again, depends on the programme, check the results page. I know Irvine has conducted informal interviews in February. 

2 minutes ago, queenofcarrotflowers said:

a. Routine only for a few programmes. Some programmes (eg Chicago) require an interview to admit you, others interview a few, but not all, of their admits (historically this has been the case for Stanford, but don't quote me on that. Strangely, some of the interview posts from last year seem to have disappeared from the results page...). You can see if any of the programmes you've applied to interview by checking the results page.

b. Again, depends on the programme, check the results page. I know Irvine has conducted informal interviews in February. 

I will do that. Thanks! :)

17 minutes ago, LtotheOG said:

I will do that. Thanks! :)

Also it seems some places that typically interview in person just aren't doing it at all this year--Notre Dame should have sent out interview requests 2 weeks ago but it's been radio silence. Though maybe they'll do zoom inteviews in Feb, who knows...