2021 Applicants

Just now, haleydanielle said:

Great to know! Thanks and congratulations! I'm hoping this year is just different (which we already know it is) and that perhaps a usual cause for concern is maybe not as reliable. Or maybe I'm still trying to hold onto my small shred of hope stupidly haha

Thank you! And, me too. I feel lucky to have any news at all at this point. Here's hoping everyone has some piece of good news ASAP because wow is this a terrible, terrible time! 

Any one else already feeling decision season fatigue? I keep having to remind myself that we're just getting warmed up... The amount of cookies I've baked and consumed in the last three weeks (to both stress eat and take my mind of everything) is absurd.

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse Lana said:

The amount of cookies I've baked and consumed in the last three weeks (to both stress eat and take my mind of everything) is absurd.

Omg the amount that I relate to this. Last night I spontaneously made banana bread because I was like "I have to do something with myself that's not writing my thesis, refreshing GradCafe, or marathoning Mad Men" lmao

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse Lana said:

Any one else already feeling decision season fatigue? I keep having to remind myself that we're just getting warmed up... The amount of cookies I've baked and consumed in the last three weeks (to both stress eat and take my mind of everything) is absurd.

YES. It's been so hard to navigate what I rationally know about this process (decisions come in waves, there's tons of different factors, it's all about fit), with what feels like a constantly evolving emotional rollercoaster. Especially when we know that this application season is bizarre in about a thousand different ways that we can't anticipate!! 

Just now, ghost-enthusiast said:

YES. It's been so hard to navigate what I rationally know about this process (decisions come in waves, there's tons of different factors, it's all about fit), with what feels like a constantly evolving emotional rollercoaster. Especially when we know that this application season is bizarre in about a thousand different ways that we can't anticipate!! 

Yes oh my gosh. I ate mounds of pasta last night just to get off GradCafe and Reddit... This is my second round so I knew more what to expect this year, but for some reason it has been even more grueling. All of my logic and rationale left about a week ago 

14 minutes ago, Magic Lantern said:

Just got officially rejected by Northwestern. I thought I'd get the rejection letter from someone in the comparative literature department, but instead the letter is from the Dean of the Graduate School who is a professor in the biosciences department. Just a generic letter, I guess?

yeah, same letter for me. i knew this was coming but still hurts!

2 hours ago, jjmcgu19 said:

I'm the Vandy waitlist post--I did get an email from the DGS on the 1st. I don't know how their notifications go out, though. Some departments might notify differently based on subfields (I'm in queer and poco studies, fyi). 

But I'm in the same boat when it comes to Cornell--I see some posts about phone calls (not their usual notification method) coming earlier than usual. I have an acquaintance in Cornell's program I might reach out to about it. She, for example, got an email mid-Feb last year. To know there are trolls out there is both enraging and a little bit reassuring, though!

If you do reach out to anyone at Cornell, please let us know.  Cornell is my top school since early Undergrad, and seeing those acceptances without any indication of waitlists or rejections going out sorta devastated me.  I'd like to get out of limbo..

Hi everyone! I've been checking this website for a while but just created an account to be able to also post here. Applied to Comp Lit programs + Duke's Literature. I was wondering does anyone have any updates about Duke? I got an interview and they told me they will try to get back to everyone by the end of January but I haven't heard back yet. I know that someone else also got an interview on this website. Should I assume a rejection at this point?

Therapist literally asked me to set some boundaries around GC refreshing today, BUT WHERE IS MY REJECTION EMAIL FROM WASHU? ?? Sorry if this was answered elsewhere, but do some committees send emails out in batches over a series of days or...?

What are we doing for self-care/boundaries/productivity, family? I can't overeat or drink because it ruins my limited anxiety-naps. I think it might be useful if I only check every two hours or something, but  ?I haaaate my entiiiiire life right now. ?

Actually...can y'all recommend books for me?! ❤️❤️❤️ 

1 minute ago, robertsona_grad said:

Terrible Honesty by Ann Douglas is what I'm reading now, but it's not available anywhere online. Really fascinating sort of dated but brave and VERY THOROUGHLY researched book about the culture of 1920s manhattan

Oh, that sounds amaaaazing!

4 hours ago, sadevilminion said:

I’ve been lurking since... last night. Yea I’m on reddit and check the results here but I’ve never ventured onto the forum before, lol. I missed out. Anyways, I made an account for this:

I haven’t! Unless I get my rejection today, I’m gonna say that was a troll! And here I was thinking English didn’t get trolls (as if i’ve never been in a creative writing course, lol).

Hi guys! I've also been a lurker since last night, but I am the Vandy admit. No trolls here, just one very pleasantly surprised gal. Wishing everyone else the best of luck -- this process has been excruciating. 

4 minutes ago, missmarianne said:

Therapist literally asked me to set some boundaries around GC refreshing today, BUT WHERE IS MY REJECTION EMAIL FROM WASHU? ?? Sorry if this was answered elsewhere, but do some committees send emails out in batches over a series of days or...?

What are we doing for self-care/boundaries/productivity, family? I can't overeat or drink because it ruins my limited anxiety-naps. I think it might be useful if I only check every two hours or something, but  ?I haaaate my entiiiiire life right now. ?

Actually...can y'all recommend books for me?! ❤️❤️❤️ 

I FEEL this on so many levels... My partner keeps telling me to get off GC all together but I just can't not know. It's terrible! I figure in a few weeks it'll all feel decently solidified and then I can go back to normal. Potentially an unhealthy way to view things, but here we are. 

I'm reading/watching The Hobbit/LOTR right now for some major escapism. I've never really been interested before, and it's giving me all the life I need right now. 

As far as batches, I'm just not sure. I think they did last year (it's been a while since I've looked that far back into the results page), and the fact that we now have two acceptances makes me think that they're batching it today. Hopefully we hear from WashU (positively) soon!! Best of luck :)

Just now, dianechambers said:

Hi guys! I've also been a lurker since last night, but I am the Vandy admit. No trolls here, just one very pleasantly surprised gal. Wishing everyone else the best of luck -- this process has been excruciating. 

That's great to know!! Congratulations!! 

41 minutes ago, RamonaQ said:

Hi everyone! I've been checking this website for a while but just created an account to be able to also post here. Applied to Comp Lit programs + Duke's Literature. I was wondering does anyone have any updates about Duke? I got an interview and they told me they will try to get back to everyone by the end of January but I haven't heard back yet. I know that someone else also got an interview on this website. Should I assume a rejection at this point?

No, never assume a rejection until you get one (especially if you were interviewed)! That other interview was me! I am extremely lucky that I connected with a current student there over this application process and they were nice enough to let me know that there have been some delays because of typical bureaucracy stuff plus a new DGS. It could be this week, but I wouldn't be surprised if it took until next week. I'm sure you are dying like I am....

What are your AOI, btw? Mine is social political philosophy, 20th century Continental philosophy (especially Deleuze and Foucault), psychoanalysis, queer theory, and digital media (I have done a lot on Internet sub cultures). I also flagged that I studied film in undergrad and I'm interested in German expressionism and horror, but I honestly haven't done any of that since undergrad, but I would love to be able to get back into film analysis.

Edited by semiotic_mess

8 minutes ago, haleydanielle said:

I FEEL this on so many levels... My partner keeps telling me to get off GC all together but I just can't not know. It's terrible! I figure in a few weeks it'll all feel decently solidified and then I can go back to normal. Potentially an unhealthy way to view things, but here we are. 

I'm reading/watching The Hobbit/LOTR right now for some major escapism. I've never really been interested before, and it's giving me all the life I need right now. 

As far as batches, I'm just not sure. I think they did last year (it's been a while since I've looked that far back into the results page), and the fact that we now have two acceptances makes me think that they're batching it today. Hopefully we hear from WashU (positively) soon!! Best of luck :)

"potentially an unhealthy way to view things but we are" ? Literally my entire life rn. I'm going to try to do speed work so that if I get shut out in a few weeks for the second time, I'll be fitter or something.

Okay, I ALSO have never read/been interested in LOTR, but I watched the third movie for the first time in a long time, recently, and it was so great. Plus super interesting if you're into old English kinds of things.

Hopefully we find out more information today from WASHU. At this point, I'm wondering if I ought to have hired a consultant or something to help with this. 

28 minutes ago, haleydanielle said:

Ugh... Same. I'm watching all the X-Men movies in order of release. That's right... two decades worth of films. Just trying to distract myself somehow. 

The WUSTL acceptances this morning have amplified this super dread. Twice as many applications?! 

Honestly, though, congrats to all who have been accepted, and best of luck for those waiting on good news!

1 minute ago, silvestre stallone said:

Ugh... Same. I'm watching all the X-Men movies in order of release. That's right... two decades worth of films. Just trying to distract myself somehow. 

The WUSTL acceptances this morning have amplified this super dread. Twice as many applications?! 

Honestly, though, congrats to all who have been accepted, and best of luck for those waiting on good news!

I am one of the WUSTL admits-- so relieved to have an acceptance but I feel for your angst. Apparently they could only accept 2-3% of applications this year!? 

If it's any small help, it was a personal email from the DGS--my portal still isn't updated. So maybe they're going out one by one and there are still some to come? Sorry for all the dread, this process can be so so terrible. I was anxiously refreshing GC constantly so much beforehand. 

57 minutes ago, semiotic_mess said:

No, never assume a rejection until you get one (especially if you were interviewed)! That other interview was me! I am extremely lucky that I connected with a current student there over this application process and they were nice enough to let me know that there have been some delays because of typical bureaucracy stuff plus a new DGS. It could be this week, but I wouldn't be surprised if it took until next week. I'm sure you are dying like I am....

What are your AOI, btw? Mine is social political philosophy, 20th century Continental philosophy (especially Deleuze and Foucault), psychoanalysis, queer theory, and digital media (I have done a lot on Internet sub cultures). I also flagged that I studied film in undergrad and I'm interested in German expressionism and horror, but I honestly haven't done any of that since undergrad, but I would love to be able to get back into film analysis.

Hi! Thanks for your response and for letting me know!!! Then I hope we both hear good news in the following weeks...fingers crossed!!

Interesting set of topics!!  My areas of interest more broadly are feminism, gender, and sexuality in the global south, psychoanalysis (especially Lacan), deconstruction, and questions of postcoloniality and globalization. I am also interested in adding a film and media aspect to my project.

2 hours ago, wildsurmise said:

I am one of the WUSTL admits-- so relieved to have an acceptance but I feel for your angst. Apparently they could only accept 2-3% of applications this year!? 

If it's any small help, it was a personal email from the DGS--my portal still isn't updated. So maybe they're going out one by one and there are still some to come? Sorry for all the dread, this process can be so so terrible. I was anxiously refreshing GC constantly so much beforehand. 

Thanks for sharing! I feel it! And it's still so early in the process...I just need one acceptance and I'll ease up a bit I'm sure.

Seriously, though, congratulations! A 2-3% acceptance rate is totally insane... Feel good. You fucking earned that! :)