2021 Applicants

Voicing my stress here in the fact that the majority of the schools who have sent rejections haven't sent anything to me yet. I know there are quite a few of this that this has happened to. I'm so torn because on one hand, everyone keeps telling me "maybe you're waitlisted!" But then I think of what happened the last cycle I was waitlisted and never moved off of it and I just can't even entertain the possibility that I could, because if it doesn't happen, I'll be crushed. I am truly thankful and grateful I will have a teaching job either way, but DAMN does it hurt to know even though I might have a few waitlists, I might not get in at all and will just extend my waiting period. Boston College is probably my top program and I'm happy to be waitlisted, but I'm just living in a shallow pit of despair at the moment. Have to wallow occasionally. I'm glad it's the weekend. Hope everyone can relax! And if anyone wants to freely vent, you can always message me on here.

49 minutes ago, cassidyaxx said:

Voicing my stress here in the fact that the majority of the schools who have sent rejections haven't sent anything to me yet. I know there are quite a few of this that this has happened to. I'm so torn because on one hand, everyone keeps telling me "maybe you're waitlisted!" But then I think of what happened the last cycle I was waitlisted and never moved off of it and I just can't even entertain the possibility that I could, because if it doesn't happen, I'll be crushed. I am truly thankful and grateful I will have a teaching job either way, but DAMN does it hurt to know even though I might have a few waitlists, I might not get in at all and will just extend my waiting period. Boston College is probably my top program and I'm happy to be waitlisted, but I'm just living in a shallow pit of despair at the moment. Have to wallow occasionally. I'm glad it's the weekend. Hope everyone can relax! And if anyone wants to freely vent, you can always message me on here.

This whole process is so so frustrating, but hang in there! Nothing's over till it's over and I know it's hard to think this way, but being waitlisted is already a huge recognition of your accomplishments! Sometimes what helps me is just whispering, "I am not my application," over and over again, almost like meditating. Either way, it's totally okay to have moments where you want to wallow. I'm also here if you or anyone wants to message me or needs to vent!!

8 hours ago, jujubee said:

Same (I have one official rejection and three implied). This has contributed to my insomnia, too. I sleep at 4 or 5 am here, just waiting, WAITING for good news, only to be greeted by acceptances not mine on the Lil Uzi Vert page. I swear to my cat, if I get one acceptance letter this cycle, I'll have that implanted.

Just laughed my ass off at this. ?

I'm having a moment of self-doubt here. I had two interviews with Northeastern professors and they both seemed genuinely interested in my research and it got me really excited. After each interview I felt super confident that I would get in. But then I attended the "students only" virtual happy hour and heard from other prospective students who have similar/superior interests and interviewed with the same professors. I think there are 6 of us, but I'm wondering if all PhD applicants that get invited to the welcome event actually get accepted to the program. I gotta say, if I don't get in after this extensive interview process it'll be the ultimate slap in the face... WELP, off to make two dozen macaroons just for myself.

32 minutes ago, Lighthouse Lana said:

I'm having a moment of self-doubt here. I had two interviews with Northeastern professors and they both seemed genuinely interested in my research and it got me really excited. After each interview I felt super confident that I would get in. But then I attended the "students only" virtual happy hour and heard from other prospective students who have similar/superior interests and interviewed with the same professors. I think there are 6 of us, but I'm wondering if all PhD applicants that get invited to the welcome event actually get accepted to the program. I gotta say, if I don't get in after this extensive interview process it'll be the ultimate slap in the face... WELP, off to make two dozen macaroons just for myself.

An interview is still great and you got to discuss your research! I am sure you did well, regardless of the outcome (which I hope works in your favour). If you don't mind my asking, is your research interest related to comics studies? I haven't applied this season but am planning to apply for Fall 2022 and most of my applications would be in the field of comics studies. Northeastern's department has Hillary Chute after all!

16 hours ago, angrychalupa said:

Quick question for anyone who knows the answer: what exactly is this "healthy coping" i hear of? I'm too old for all of this. Do i reapply? I have (insert list of vague responsibilities)

I think ice cream is a healthy way of dealing with both acceptances and rejections. :)

22 hours ago, Shakespearefanatic said:

There’s a lone usc acceptance up on the results board. It says they got a phone call 2/1 though... has anyone else heard anything? 

I also received an acceptance via phone call on the first. Just remember, you never know unless you receive an official rejection. Good luck. 

26 minutes ago, Hard times! said:

An interview is still great and you got to discuss your research! I am sure you did well, regardless of the outcome (which I hope works in your favour). If you don't mind my asking, is your research interest related to comics studies? I haven't applied this season but am planning to apply for Fall 2022 and most of my applications would be in the field of comics studies. Northeastern's department has Hillary Chute after all!

Thanks so much. It's definitely hard to take a step back and feel proud of how far I've come, regardless of the outcome. But I'm sure that'll change once this stressful season is over.

And sure! My main focus is trauma and Holocaust studies in traditional/graphic narratives and film (a bit of a downer I know, but important nonetheless). Hillary Chute (one of the coolest professors I've ever met) has written extensively on Maus and Holocaust trauma studies portrayed in graphic narratives. So even though I don't focus exclusively on comics studies, it still feels like a really good fit and it overlaps with her current research. 

Blech, even writing this there's a part of me that's like "there's literally no way you won't get in" and the other part of me is like "watch it, bitch..."

19 minutes ago, Lighthouse Lana said:

Thanks so much. It's definitely hard to take a step back and feel proud of how far I've come, regardless of the outcome. But I'm sure that'll change once this stressful season is over.

And sure! My main focus is trauma and Holocaust studies in traditional/graphic narratives and film (a bit of a downer I know, but important nonetheless). Hillary Chute (one of the coolest professors I've ever met) has written extensively on Maus and Holocaust trauma studies portrayed in graphic narratives. So even though I don't focus exclusively on comics studies, it still feels like a really good fit and it overlaps with her current research. 

Blech, even writing this there's a part of me that's like "there's literally no way you won't get in" and the other part of me is like "watch it, bitch..."

Oh yes, absolutely! And thanks a lot for your reply! I was quite fascinated by her chapter on Maus in Disaster Drawn-- that still draws me to the archive she has carefully built around the very few remaining visual testimonies of Shoah. Fascinating! 

Hey all! 

I am new to this site. I joined reddit and avoided looking here bc it would be an added stressor in my life, haha. But I just got too damn curious! I'm not sure if I'm in the right forum, but I see a lot of English-related key words. 

Any people doing rhetoric/writing/composition related master's programs? If so, where have you heard back from?

I feel like I'm going crazy waiting for decisions.

So, Cornell just emailed me and I did not make it. I had 50/50 feelings on this one. I still have 6 more to go.   I hope it gets better from here 

also, I saw on the search result page that someone got accepted to UW-Madison with full funding and that the school is only taking 1-3 students in the communication department this year. So I assume since I did not get an interview invitation this one is out too.

i also applied to AU but I have low hopes for this one since I applied to the program 30 minutes before the deadline. 

I just saw on the search results of this website that someone got accepted into Arizona state with full funding, it seems they replied to that person on January 31st, 2021. I emailed the department two days ago and they said that they are still going through applications and that i should hear a notification soon. 

I tried to locate the comment on the threads but its seems I cannot find it except on the SEARCH OUR GRADUATE SCHOOL ADMISSION RESULTS page. 

Does that mean the notification that I will receive is a rejection or they are still going through applications?

Are they doing it based on rolling basis or early action?

10 minutes ago, Larik001 said:

Does that mean the notification that I will receive is a rejection or they are still going through applications?

I think it means what they say it means: they are still going through applications. 

Edited by LtotheOG

Just now, LtotheOG said:

I think it means what they say it means: they are still going through the applications. 

Thank you!

correct me if I am wrong but I thought that they usually finalize all the applicants and send out the acceptance at once. 

10 minutes ago, AnxiousBeaver said:

actually some programs do it, I was accepted in November to Northwestern through their EADP program!

So, if someone received an acceptance in January, that means that the person applied way before the deadline? Even if the official decision are usually out mid-Feb?

1 minute ago, Larik001 said:

So, if someone received an acceptance in January, that means that the person applied way before the deadline? Even if the official decision are usually out mid-Feb?

not an expert just an applicant... but I dont think so. I received a couple of acceptances in January but turned in my apps very close in to the December deadline. I really think it just depends on individual admissions committees and how fast they convene/get through apps. This is just a guess!

1 hour ago, Larik001 said:

So it’s on rollintg basis? 

I’ll say this: in my personal experience, when I saw an acceptance from a program I hadn’t heard from, I was rejected.

2 hours ago, Larik001 said:

So it’s on rollintg basis? 

I will also add that it is not uncommon for there to be a few days in between acceptances (like some on a Monday, some on Tues or Wed) or even sometimes a week or two (this is usually the case with places like Buffalo, for example), but that wouldn't be considered "rolling" as in accepting continuously as applications come in. I think that for the bigger programs you can see the data of when acceptances went out in past years and extrapolate from that. If all the acceptances came on one day in past years, that is probably the case this year, if there are a few days in between acceptances, that is most likely the case this year.