2021 Applicants

13 minutes ago, cassidyaxx said:

Jeez, I'm really losing my mind bc I feel like I just don't hear back from anyone lol. Could you let me know if you hear anything? good luck :)

Yeah I will definitely let you know if I get a response! Good luck to you too! :)

21 hours ago, gloryous said:

Hey guys, I have been keeping up with this thread for the past few days. It seems like you all have been in this together for a long time and are super supportive. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was wondering if any people here with their master's degree could help me out? 

I don't have any friends in the same field of me and no one else in my family has gotten their master's. I was just acceptedi into a program, but kind of feel lost. I have no idea how grad school actually works. Haha, I don't know if I sound dumb or not, but I would genuinely appreciate any advice/guidance anyone could give!

Feel free to drop me a note as well. I got my MA quite awhile ago (11 years, now), but am relearning the ropes as I get ready to enter a PhD program. 

My first non-rejection letter of the cycle came today in the form a waitlist email from UConn! Considering how few people UConn is accepting this year and how many people probably applied I do feel some sense of relief (however attenuated). Does anyone have any recommendations for what a waitlisted applicant can/should do to maximize their chances of acceptance off the waitlist?

Edited by TheorySchmeory

26 minutes ago, Magic Lantern said:

According to the results page, Yale only takes 3 applicants this year, and Stanford only takes 2. I'm starting to think that this might be the case for most literature programs this year, unfortunately. Spent my day thinking about other (nonexistent) career paths and potentially reapplying next year. ?

Definitely think people took less people across the board (not just Lit; other humanities, social sciences, STEM, everything) but there are some schools with bigger numbers too. Ohio State is planning on taking 18 (9 MA/PhD and 9 PhD) so even though it's hard, I'm trying to keep my hopes up that some schools will fund as many people as they are able without a detriment to their current students. Which is hopefully more than a handful.

I'm also worried and making contingency plans (which sucks) but it's only early February, a lot of school's timelines are behind, and there's a lot of season left. Hang in there everybody ❤️

Just got a letter from DGS in an email about being waitlisted. 

"Due to an especially strong pool of applicants this year, we have only been able to offer acceptance to a small number of the many outstanding candidates who applied. However, the Graduate Executive Committee was very impressed with your record and has placed your name on a very selective waiting list to which we may return later in the admissions process."

Not totally bad news!

1 hour ago, TheorySchmeory said:

My first non-rejection letter of the cycle came today in the form a waitlist email from UConn! Considering how few people UConn is accepting this year and how many people probably applied I do feel some sense of relief (however attenuated). Does anyone have any recommendations for what a waitlisted applicant can/should do to maximize their chances of acceptance off the waitlist?

Same here. I guess since I've been accepted already to one school, I don't feel as bad. It does give me a sense of relief. I was wondering when I would receive another admissions decision. Hah!

In terms of increasing your chances, I'm not sure how that would work exactly. Wouldn't it be that if someone who was accepted decides to reject the offer, they would pick someone from the waitlist? If anyone can clear that up, that'd be great because I'm not really sure either

4 hours ago, ghost-enthusiast said:

In at UConn!! I'm genuinely so excited and especially after getting back to back rejections from Yale and Cornell, it's amazing to know I'll have somewhere to go!! Thank you to all of you for providing such a welcoming and thoughtful place on the internet!

That's freaking awesome! CONGRATS! Well deserved ?

Edited by The Maritime Scholar

@Bopie5dying out here with this Yale stuff. Guess it makes some sort of sense, but I didn't think the combined program would take significantly longer than English itself...Film and Media Studies dept. come through!!!

feel like I can't even enjoy the results page spicing up again after a lull in insults slung

Edited by robertsona_grad

On 2/9/2021 at 2:50 PM, Kapol-in said:

So I saw a single acceptance for a program I applied to on Facebook, now for the same program I'm only seeing waitlists on the result page, is this a good sign or a bad sign... Does anybody know?

Well I was just denied from this program so I guess I got my answer...

On 2/9/2021 at 4:31 PM, gloryous said:

Hey guys, I have been keeping up with this thread for the past few days. It seems like you all have been in this together for a long time and are super supportive. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was wondering if any people here with their master's degree could help me out? 

I don't have any friends in the same field of me and no one else in my family has gotten their master's. I was just acceptedi into a program, but kind of feel lost. I have no idea how grad school actually works. Haha, I don't know if I sound dumb or not, but I would genuinely appreciate any advice/guidance anyone could give!

Hi! I would be more than happy to help as much as I can. I'm finishing a two-year Master's program, and I myself had so many doubts about doing a Master's at that time. So maybe I can share my experience with you. Just DM!

2 hours ago, robertsona_grad said:

@Bopie5dying out here with this Yale stuff. Guess it makes some sort of sense, but I didn't think the combined program would take significantly longer than English itself...Film and Media Studies dept. come through!!!

feel like I can't even enjoy the results page spicing up again after a lull in insults slung

literally i am like...just tell me already i need to know one way or another...how much longer will it be??

It feels so good to hear about everyone who has gotten in, especially people who have stuck it out for multiple cycles! I am so happy for you all.

Does anyone have experience going from teaching middle school/high school after undergrad and then straight to a PhD program without doing a Masters? If so, I'd really appreciate any advice!

1 hour ago, Cordelipup said:

It feels so good to hear about everyone who has gotten in, especially people who have stuck it out for multiple cycles! I am so happy for you all.

Does anyone have experience going from teaching middle school/high school after undergrad and then straight to a PhD program without doing a Masters? If so, I'd really appreciate any advice!

Don't have advice, but I'm in the exact same boat, so sending you good vibes! ?

1 hour ago, Cordelipup said:

I'm not exactly in this group, but adjacent--I taught middle and high school before pursuing an MA, now a PhD. I personally felt so out of the loop with the discipline of English that crafting a "relevant" SOP and writing sample that engages in current discourse for PhD apps felt very out of reach (when I was still teaching), and my MA has been so informative, enjoyable, and edifying. Though I also wasn't an English major in undergrad, which is probably relevant.

Edited by wildsurmise

1 hour ago, wildsurmise said:

I'm not exactly in this group, but adjacent--I taught middle and high school before pursuing an MA, now a PhD. I personally felt so out of the loop with the discipline of English that crafting a "relevant" SOP and writing sample that engages in current discourse for PhD apps felt very out of reach (when I was still teaching), and my MA has been so informative, enjoyable, and edifying. Though I also wasn't an English major in undergrad, which is probably relevant.

This is so helpful to hear! I feel this disconnect as well. Did you recently complete your MA? And were you able to complete it while also teaching? I thought going straight for the PhD would be the best route for me, but now I'm considering other options.

Just now, Cordelipup said:

This is so helpful to hear! I feel this disconnect as well. Did you recently complete your MA? And were you able to complete it while also teaching? I thought going straight for the PhD would be the best route for me, but now I'm considering other options.

I'm graduating this May, currently in my second year (planning on starting phd in the fall). I'm teaching one class of first year composition each semester for my university, but not teaching middle/ hs during the program. My current professors were really helpful in giving feedback for my SOP, and my writing sample comes from an MA seminar paper. It can also be nice to have solidarity/ venting sessions with classmates who are also applying.  

the waiting is just so! damn! excruciating! at this point. Anyone else kind of losing their general concentration? I feel like I'm usually pretty good at avoiding procrastination but it feels 10x more difficult to work at the moment. I have a backup plan, I know my chances are slim as heck and I'm not even really scared of what will happen if I don't get in anywhere, but the overwhelming uncertainty is getting to me big time. 

2 hours ago, queenofcarrotflowers said:

the waiting is just so! damn! excruciating! at this point. Anyone else kind of losing their general concentration? I feel like I'm usually pretty good at avoiding procrastination but it feels 10x more difficult to work at the moment. I have a backup plan, I know my chances are slim as heck and I'm not even really scared of what will happen if I don't get in anywhere, but the overwhelming uncertainty is getting to me big time. 

exactly my feelings! I think at this point I've also accepted my slim chances, but I'd rather just get the waiting over with one way or another so I can focus again and have a more concrete plan for what I'll be doing for the next year or so. 

Hey could I trouble you all to check around for a response from a PhD program? Just looking for a single response. Probably has the words CONGRATULATIONS. It may have fallen between the couch cushions. Have looked evvverrryyyywhere. Even checked my coat pockets. Nothing.

I got into my first MA program!!! I know most of y'all are PhD applicants, but this is so huge for me!! I got offered a teaching assistantship for two years!!!! This means I can move out of my parents house in August!!!!!!!

Just now, lilgreenblatt said:

I got into my first MA program!!! I know most of y'all are PhD applicants, but this is so huge for me!! I got offered a teaching assistantship for two years!!!! This means I can move out of my parents house in August!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS! I'm so happy for you. Which program? So excited for you, for both the acceptance and the funding. I hope you do something fun to celebrate.