2021 Applicants

2 hours ago, Not_a_Robot22 said:

Looks like another wave of rejections were sent out by Davis today, anyone else still haven’t heard anything? Wondering whether I still have a shot if I never got an interview. 

Don’t take my word for it, but I would say it is still possible! I was accepted and I didn’t have to interview, though I don’t think they do interviews anyway. Good luck!!

5 hours ago, inquisitive-reader said:

Has anyone heard anything from/about UCLA and Hopkins? Judging from previous years, it seems that their results are overdue...

I'm waiting on Hopkins as well (no news), but it looks like last year they didn't get back to people until the 2/14-15... so at least a few more days until I'll truly get antsy

Hi all! I have been checking this forum for a bit, cheering with all your successes and showing solidarity behind the screen when things don't go as well. Quick question for those who have brought WUSTL into the conversation...I have not received anything so far but I have talked with the admin. I know that I did not receive an offer (lol) and was not in those who received the waitlist couple of days ago, but the admin told me that my application was ranked high. So, are they just keeping it to see how many with give up their offers or did they just forgot to reject? any thoughts would be appreciated!

On 2/10/2021 at 3:03 PM, Magic Lantern said:

According to the results page, Yale only takes 3 applicants this year, and Stanford only takes 2. I'm starting to think that this might be the case for most literature programs this year, unfortunately. Spent my day thinking about other (nonexistent) career paths and potentially reapplying next year. ?

Where did you see that Stanford only took 2?!

2 hours ago, elliec said:

Someone posted on the results page that one of their acceptance emails for stanford said there were 9 accepted this year.  So I don't think the stat mentioned by the other poster is reliable info.

2 hours ago, elliec said:

22 minutes ago, 1 Pint of Ricotta said:

Someone posted on the results page that one of their acceptance emails for stanford said there were 9 accepted this year.  So I don't think the stat mentioned by the other poster is reliable info.

I believe the 2 figure was for comp lit, not English, hence the confusion. 

You can see on the results page for comp lit that someone was apparently told this by their POI who they contacted.

Edited by queenofcarrotflowers

I just got accepted to UC San Diego. I can't really explain how relieved and proud I feel. Last year was a nightmare and I got shut out of every single program, but this year, I published articles, gave more presentations and workshopped the living hell out of my SOP and it really paid off. I'm just beside myself with happiness.

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse Lana said:

I just got accepted to UC San Diego. I can't really explain how relieved and proud I feel. Last year was a nightmare and I got shut out of every single program, but this year, I published articles, gave more presentations and workshopped the living hell out of my SOP and it really paid off. I'm just beside myself with happiness.

Yayyyyy!!! That's incredible! I'm so happy for you!!!

1 hour ago, Lighthouse Lana said:

Congratulations!! It really feels wonderful to see/hear hard work paying off! 

Has anyone else heard from SMU? I just got an update about my application status and was offered a visit. But its only made me even more nervous! I will be doubly hurt if i’m rejected after a visit 

52 minutes ago, Oklash said:

Has anyone else heard from SMU? I just got an update about my application status and was offered a visit. But its only made me even more nervous! I will be doubly hurt if i’m rejected after a visit 

SMU does a visit/interview before making their final decisions. You can DM me if you have any questions, but I am not sure how they will handle it this year since it will be on Zoom?

2 hours ago, Oklash said:

I got this update as well. Equally nervous! I wonder how many applicants they invited? PM me if you'd like!

10 minutes ago, MaoistTowelette said:

That Vanderbilt rejection letter is getting roasted on the results page. 

I didn't think it was that bad--probably the kindest of the three I've received from them. Then again, maybe I'm used to being treated like a rug, so you figure it out.

What did it say?????

Vanderbilt’s rejection language: Thank you for your interest in our English graduate program. I am sorry to have to inform you that our review of your application and credentials did not lead to a recommendation of admission. If you have applied to more than one Vanderbilt program, you will receive a separate communication regarding your application to each program. The Graduate School at Vanderbilt University receives applications from many outstanding candidates. Unfortunately, limited resources and competition among well-qualified applicants preclude our offering admission to all who seek it. Please know that your application and supporting materials received a close and careful review. Admissions decisions are difficult, both for faculty who review applications and for applicants who await notification. I regret having to send you this disappointing news, but I wish you every success in the pursuit of your educational goals.

Edited by EffervescentMoon

I have to wonder if English grad program admissions committees are more sensitive to the hermeneutics of their rejection letters than committees in other subjects, since they know their recipients will put their letters under the analytical microscope...

10 hours ago, TheorySchmeory said:

I have to wonder if English grad program admissions committees are more sensitive to the hermeneutics of their rejection letters than committees in other subjects, since they know their recipients will put their letters under the analytical microscope...

Perhaps some are, but I think part of the problem is that it seems many of these rejection letters (like Vandy's) aren't even from the English department, but from the "vice provost for graduate education," and just talk about the graduate school in general recieving many apps. So distant... especially when we put our hearts and souls (and paychecks) into these applications! 

Yeah, as someone who has gotten a fair number of rejection letters so far, that Vandy letter is pretty typical. There is a lot that is actually rude, cold, and unethical about this process (exorbitant fees, emphasis on institution prestige, LORs, access privilege, etc.), so I feel like the form letters aren't exactly the best place to focus our energies!