2021 Applicants

So if Cornell waitlists have gone out does that mean that the two acceptances last week were the only ones? also the lone McGill acceptance? and also Yale?? I feel very confused and I thrive on information but none of it is clear and my poor lil portals are just sitting there undisturbed!! 

In at Davis!!! My first English acceptance of this cycle. Really exciting and particularly validating since I was rejected from their program in my last app cycle. I'm so happy! Funding details to come, but it feels amazing to have multiple good offers on the table.

2 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

In at Davis!!! My first English acceptance of this cycle. Really exciting and particularly validating since I was rejected from their program in my last app cycle. I'm so happy! Funding details to come, but it feels amazing to have multiple good offers on the table.

Congratulations!! That's so exciting and must feel like such a relief. Also a fantastic sense of retribution. 

I was raised in/lived in Davis for a while and still have family there/in the area, so if you have any questions about the town, send me a DM!

5 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

Congrats!! I'm accepted to Davis as well, also my first acceptance! Good luck with the rest of your applications :)

1 minute ago, kirbs005 said:

Congratulations!! That's so exciting and must feel like such a relief. Also a fantastic sense of retribution. 

I was raised in/lived in Davis for a while and still have family there/in the area, so if you have any questions about the town, send me a DM!

It did make me emotional ngl because it feels like such a concrete marker of how much I've grown as a person/scholar and developed my research over the past few years. This one feels particularly personal, in a good way. I'll definitely be sending a DM your way ?

1 minute ago, clara salmon said:

Congrats!! I'm accepted to Davis as well, also my first acceptance! Good luck with the rest of your applications :)

Ah! Congratulations to you! And same to you--where else are you applying? What are your areas of interest?

1 minute ago, Bopie5 said:

It did make me emotional ngl because it feels like such a concrete marker of how much I've grown as a person/scholar and developed my research over the past few years. This one feels particularly personal, in a good way. I'll definitely be sending a DM your way ?

Ah! Congratulations to you! And same to you--where else are you applying? What are your areas of interest?

I've been rejected from Cornell and currently waiting on Yale, UAlbany, Santa Barbara, and CUNY. My specializations are a bit all over but mainly environmental/ecocritical studies and food studies, with film/horror on the side. What do you do?! Let me know if you want to connect!

32 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

Congratulations! I'm so glad to see this cycle is going so well for you!

33 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

This just made my day-- have been rooting for you!!

Many congratulations!!

Edited by queenofcarrotflowers

Movement for UMich English has got me antsy enough to forget about the (totally expected) Cornell rejection... Wondering if the posted rejection was actually for English and Education, since results for that usually tend to come out earlier, and nobody else from the general programme seems to have heard anything? Either way, hoping we hear back soon... best of luck everyone, happy to see some of y'all getting very well-deserved acceptances!!

1 hour ago, Bopie5 said:

So happy for you! Congratulations!

1 hour ago, clara salmon said:

Congratulations! I wanted to just heart react, but apparently I have used too many reactions today...

1 hour ago, clara salmon said:

I've been rejected from Cornell and currently waiting on Yale, UAlbany, Santa Barbara, and CUNY. My specializations are a bit all over but mainly environmental/ecocritical studies and food studies, with film/horror on the side. What do you do?! Let me know if you want to connect!

Very cool! We have some things in common--I do television studies, particularly reality television, particularly reality cooking competitions. So essentially a triangulation of television studies, food studies, and ethnic studies/theories of race/whiteness studies. But I also do horror film on the side lol. I'll DM you.

1 hour ago, WildeThing said:

Congratulations! I'm so glad to see this cycle is going so well for you!

1 hour ago, queenofcarrotflowers said:

This just made my day-- have been rooting for you!!

Many congratulations!!

42 minutes ago, helloperil said:

congrats to the davis admits!

31 minutes ago, JaneLWH said:

So happy for you! Congratulations!

Thank you all so much. You're all so kind, I'm tearing up! ☺️ This has been such a journey and I'm very thankful for this supportive community we have here. I'm sure good news is on the way for all of you, if it hasn't come already. I can't wait to congratulate y'all!

2 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

I know I'm late to the party but CONGRATULATIONS. I remember the 2019 cycle we were both feeling pretty defeated and I am so so happy that you're hearing such good news this cycle! You are such a supportive force on this website and I think we are all glad you're here :)

50 minutes ago, cassidyaxx said:

I know I'm late to the party but CONGRATULATIONS. I remember the 2019 cycle we were both feeling pretty defeated and I am so so happy that you're hearing such good news this cycle! You are such a supportive force on this website and I think we are all glad you're here :)

oh my goodness stop I'm going to cry! Seriously though, thank you. This means a lot to me. And I'm so glad that you're here too! I'm sure you'll be getting some good news soon--your work is so interesting and exciting. Sending good energies your way. 

Has anyone else not gotten any PhD acceptances yet? I'm finishing my MA this semester and this is my first cycle applying to PhDs. I've gotten 3 rejections (Berkeley, Northwestern, and Cornell), no interviews or waitlists, and 7 more programs left to hear from. I'm not holding my breath :/ 

5 minutes ago, Not_a_Robot22 said:

Has anyone else not gotten any PhD acceptances yet? I'm finishing my MA this semester and this is my first cycle applying to PhDs. I've gotten 3 rejections (Berkeley, Northwestern, and Cornell), no interviews or waitlists, and 7 more programs left to hear from. I'm not holding my breath ?

This is my second cycle applying to PhD programs; 2 rejections so far, no interviews. Really not feeling hopeful, and not looking forward to going through it again in a year... For what it's worth, I think the usually absurdly competitive process is even more cutthroat this year, as people are applying to PhD cycles to put off entering the barren COVID job market post-graduation.