2021 Applicants

1 minute ago, lilgreenblatt said:

I got into my first MA program!!! I know most of y'all are PhD applicants, but this is so huge for me!! I got offered a teaching assistantship for two years!!!! This means I can move out of my parents house in August!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS ! that's amazing!!

12 minutes ago, lilgreenblatt said:

I got into my first MA program!!! I know most of y'all are PhD applicants, but this is so huge for me!! I got offered a teaching assistantship for two years!!!! This means I can move out of my parents house in August!!!!!!!

CONGRATS!! I loved my stand alone MA experience and a teaching assistanceship is huge :)

1 hour ago, Bopie5 said:

CONGRATULATIONS! I'm so happy for you. Which program? So excited for you, for both the acceptance and the funding. I hope you do something fun to celebrate.

Clemson! It’s not my top choice, but I’m just so happy to have gotten in somewhere. And I really do love that backwards state of South Carolina. 

The roads are iced over here in Texas (crazy...), so I celebrated by driving to work really, really slow haha. I’m going to California to visit my boyfriend this weekend so hopefully we can celebrate v-day and grad school all at once! 

12 minutes ago, MaoistTowelette said:

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo?

current buffalo phd student here: acceptances have already been sent out. the department only accepted 4 students this year. i don't know the status of the waitlist.

sorry if this wasn't the news you were hoping for; here's hoping there's news about the waitlist, or that you have other acceptances waiting for you! 

best of luck--and also, your username is great.

51 minutes ago, tinycapybara said:

happy for everyone receiving good news & wishing the best for those hanging in the balance.

(any tips for not viciously self-sabotaging by replaying interviews over in your head, wondering if you made any sense at all / feeling like a smol lil rambling mess)

Oy, I'm also prone to going over everything and asking myself "Was that rude? Was there an awkward silence? Did I even answer the question?" It's so easy to second guess yourself when there's no feedback... It's cheesy, but I put a sticky note on my mirror that just says "I truly did everything I could." There's no going back now, so you might as well be proud of yourself for what you were able to say!

18 minutes ago, beefalo said:

current buffalo phd student here: acceptances have already been sent out. the department only accepted 4 students this year. i don't know the status of the waitlist.

sorry if this wasn't the news you were hoping for; here's hoping there's news about the waitlist, or that you have other acceptances waiting for you! 

best of luck--and also, your username is great.

Thanks for letting me know, I'll cross that one of my list!

17 minutes ago, robertsona_grad said:

Process is utterly cruel. Clearly in violation of multiple protocols established by the Geneva Conventions

Very true. I have just one thing to say to these unbelievably cruel criminals who flagrantly violate international law, thus dragging the whole human project further down into barbarism: could you pretty pretty please accept me into your profession?

Hahah exactly. Would be so happy to about-face on this very point. Please give me the chance to abandon wholly my previous stance, ye grad schools. I would lunge at the chance to end up as TheGradCafe.com’s most infamous hypocrite

Edited by robertsona_grad

Emailed my current program to check my status and got waitlisted! (this isn't a surprise as since I did my undergrad there as well, I had to appeal to apply and figured I'd be waitlisted). I feel at least a little better knowing at least my own program would waitlist me, LOL. 

51 minutes ago, cassidyaxx said:

Emailed my current program to check my status and got waitlisted! (this isn't a surprise as since I did my undergrad there as well, I had to appeal to apply and figured I'd be waitlisted). I feel at least a little better knowing at least my own program would waitlist me, LOL. 

You had to appeal to apply? That doesn't make sense to me - you clearly like UConn, and the school obviously knows that too. And you obviously have the credentials to be admitted there. Why WOULDN'T they want you to apply?? 

Just now, A Small Raven said:

You had to appeal to apply? That doesn't make sense to me - you clearly like UConn, and the school obviously knows that too. And you obviously have the credentials to be admitted there. Why WOULDN'T they want you to apply?? 

Oh yeah it wasn't on the part of the department! In my experience, the department there has been very lovely towards me and I've met many kind professors who actually encouraged me to appeal to apply (and I'd be willing to talk with anyone accepted to UConn about my experience there, btw!) It is a sort of unwritten rule by the graduate school that the department can't extend offers to people who have already received two degrees from there. Basically I just had to write a short statement explaining why I still wanted to attend UConn and what personal reasons I had that would make it viable for me to get my third degree from there. They unanimously decided that they would accept my application though, so it worked out :) 

I have really loved following and being apart of this thread and you guys have been very great and supportive. I was really heartbroken because I was rejected from Duke Lit after an interview, but the next day (while in tears and being absolutely SURE I was going to be shut out) I got an email I was accepted to Emory's Philosophy program! I know this isn't a philosophy thread (I applied to both Phil and Comp Lit), but I thought I would share to encourage everyone not to count themselves out and keep your head up! (i feel really silly for letting the stress get to me before I had heard back from almost half of my programs). It ain't over until it's over ❤

On 2/10/2021 at 2:28 PM, cassidyaxx said:

Jeez, I'm really losing my mind bc I feel like I just don't hear back from anyone lol. Could you let me know if you hear anything? good luck :)

Never got an email response but just got an automated email to check the portal and it was a rejection, dang it! Did you hear back?

11 minutes ago, R Westy said:

Never got an email response but just got an automated email to check the portal and it was a rejection, dang it! Did you hear back?

Sorry I wanted to update but have been in class- yeah I got an email back this afternoon and then the automated email followed shortly after that. Also a rejection ? 

Just now, cassidyaxx said:

Sorry I wanted to update but have been in class- yeah I got an email back this afternoon and then the automated email followed shortly after that. Also a rejection ? 

Ah well, I’ll keep my fingers crossed for us to hear some better news soon!

39 minutes ago, semiotic_mess said:

I have really loved following and being apart of this thread and you guys have been very great and supportive. I was really heartbroken because I was rejected from Duke Lit after an interview, but the next day (while in tears and being absolutely SURE I was going to be shut out) I got an email I was accepted to Emory's Philosophy program! I know this isn't a philosophy thread (I applied to both Phil and Comp Lit), but I thought I would share to encourage everyone not to count themselves out and keep your head up! (i feel really silly for letting the stress get to me before I had heard back from almost half of my programs). It ain't over until it's over ❤

Congrats!!!

22 minutes ago, inquisitive-reader said:

Congratulations to all who received good news in this most recent round of results!!! 

Has anyone heard anything from/about UCLA and Hopkins? Judging from previous years, it seems that their results are overdue...

Nope, heard nothing from either. I think one or two UCLA acceptanced were boarded though....?

Edit--oops, just realized I opened the wrong tab of GradCafe threads I keep open 25/7. I applied to both places for Comp Lit.

Edited by angrychalupa