2021 Applicants

55 minutes ago, semiotic_mess said:

I will also add that it is not uncommon for there to be a few days in between acceptances (like some on a Monday, some on Tues or Wed) or even sometimes a week or two (this is usually the case with places like Buffalo, for example), but that wouldn't be considered "rolling" as in accepting continuously as applications come in. I think that for the bigger programs you can see the data of when acceptances went out in past years and extrapolate from that. If all the acceptances came on one day in past years, that is probably the case this year, if there are a few days in between acceptances, that is most likely the case this year.

But why would that person get an acceptance at the end of January and I will have to wait till the mid of February?

18 minutes ago, Larik001 said:

But why would that person get an acceptance at the end of January and I will have to wait till the mid of February?

There are so many reasons this could happen. Departments have to deal with a lot of bureaucracy every year to get funding. One reason could be that they use dept funding for their first pick offers and then could still be waiting to hear about fellowships or other external funding sources that would allow them to accept more people (or vice versa). Sources are limited. There are also a ton of other reasons that things go that way. That's just how it is. It's not a very transparent process and as unfair as it might be, we kind of just have to deal with it. We all "have to wait" in one sense or another.

Edited by semiotic_mess

5 minutes ago, semiotic_mess said:

There are so many reasons this could happen. Departments have to deal with a lot of bureaucracy every year to get funding. One reason could be that they use dept funding for their first pick offers and then could still be waiting to hear about fellowships or other external funding sources that would allow them to accept more people (or vice versa). Sources are limited. There are also a ton of other reasons that things go that way. That's just how it is. It's not a very transparent process and as unfair as it might be, we kind of just have to deal with it. We all "have to wait" in one sense or another.

Thank you for explaining the process! You are right nothing to do but wait. I am just gonna keep my fingers crossed at what the department coordinator said About still going through applications and I shall receive a notification soon and hope for the best. 

40 minutes ago, Larik001 said:

I am trying to hold myself from not sending an email to the director of the program regarding my application status. Shall I send him an email asking about the rolling, early action and early decision process and when will I hear back from them regarding my application?

If you agree or disagree, please tell me why

I think you’re on the wrong forum. This one is for literature & rhet/comp, not communications.

Hi All, 

First time poster- been anxiously checking the results portal and my email waiting to hear anything. This is my first application cycle and I've applied to: Princeton, Yale, University of Washington, Oregon State University (Masters), CUNY, and Tufts. I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic but haven't heard anything yet so I'm expecting the worst.

Would love to have any advice for first time applicants/ if you've heard anything about these programs. I saw Yale is only taking 3 (lol) and that some people got an email about being in the top 15% at UofWashington (congrats!)

Sending lots of positive vibes to everyone!

I know a lot of my fellow applicants in here applied to Duke, but did anyone else apply to UNC Chapel Hill? I feel like I’m the only one in here! 

also, happy Monday my friends - hoping we all get good news this week! 

14 minutes ago, A Small Raven said:

I know a lot of my fellow applicants in here applied to Duke, but did anyone else apply to UNC Chapel Hill? I feel like I’m the only one in here! 

also, happy Monday my friends - hoping we all get good news this week! 

I applied to UNC Chapel Hill as well. I haven't heard back, nor do I know when results are supposed to starting being announced.

That conflicted feel every Sunday when you don't want to work the next day, but you want Monday to come for more ~cursed admissions updates~ ... like even when I didn't apply to schools I thrive on learning the info for some reason. What have I become?

Best of luck everyone!

Edited by wildsurmise

52 minutes ago, JaneLWH said:

I applied to UNC Chapel Hill as well. I haven't heard back, nor do I know when results are supposed to starting being announced.

I think UNC generally sends out decisions around the end of February, so unfortunately we might be waiting another couple weeks...

if you don’t mind me asking, what’s your area of research interest? ☺️

11 minutes ago, wildsurmise said:

That conflicted feel every Sunday when you don't want to work the next day, but you want Monday to come for more ~cursed admissions updates~ ... like even when I didn't apply to schools I thrive on learning the info for some reason. What have I become?

Best of luck everyone!

I feel the same/do the same. I have read through a bunch of forums that are years old or in different disciplines and I also go to the results page that just has the most recent entries generally and read the comments. There have been a few where I see a comment and go to that specific program's results page and follow the drama ?. It has made me really appreciate this thread and how nice and supportive everyone is. A few other disciplines (mostly STEM) seem to have some really nasty and competitive people. But it makes for a good distraction ?

5 minutes ago, A Small Raven said:

I think UNC generally sends out decisions around the end of February, so unfortunately we might be waiting another couple weeks...

if you don’t mind me asking, what’s your area of research interest? ☺️

My area of interest is British Romanticism (and, within the field, I'm interested in the intersections between poetry and aesthetic theory as well as poetry and philosophy, in addition to certain deconstructive approaches). UNC was a bit of a stretch for me fit-wise. I decided to apply though because of one particular professor though and current graduate students studying there who specialize in Romanticism. What's your period?

2 minutes ago, semiotic_mess said:

It has made me really appreciate this thread and how nice and supportive everyone is. A few other disciplines (mostly STEM) seem to have some really nasty and competitive people.

Having been on here for two separate cycles, I can't agree more! So many other forums have weird competitive energies or are plagued by trolls. I have always appreciated how supportive and empathetic and encouraging this particular thread is. It may sound trite, but I genuinely am rooting for everyone on here. It makes me so happy when any of y'all get acceptances, and sad when bad news comes in. There's a good sense of "we're in it together" here, which makes me excited to inevitably cross paths with some of you at events, conferences, etc--someday, when those things are possible again.

Just now, Bopie5 said:

It may sound trite, but I genuinely am rooting for everyone on here. It makes me so happy when any of y'all get acceptances, and sad when bad news comes in. There's a good sense of "we're in it together" here, which makes me excited to inevitably cross paths with some of you at events, conferences, etc--someday, when those things are possible again.

I feel this way too! Second-hand happiness from everyone's success :)

On 2/6/2021 at 8:54 PM, jujubee said:

Hang in there, hon. I should be following my own advice but it helps to turn off the wifi for a few hours and read a book or go out to get some sun. It's a weekend. I don't think we'll be getting any notifications from schools today or tomorrow. And I can only binge-watch as much RPDR and K-dramas before spiraling back into Gradcafe and thinking worst-case scenarios. I'm there with you! 

Thank you! Turning off the wifi definitely helps! I actually feel a bit more energetic now after staying away from the result page/my mailbox for the weekend. I hope you had a restful weekend too! Wishing you all the best at the start of this new week. :) 

17 minutes ago, JaneLWH said:

My area of interest is British Romanticism (and, within the field, I'm interested in the intersections between poetry and aesthetic theory as well as poetry and philosophy, in addition to certain deconstructive approaches). UNC was a bit of a stretch for me fit-wise. I decided to apply though because of one particular professor though and current graduate students studying there who specialize in Romanticism. What's your period?

Honestly I don't really have a 'period' as such - the research I want to do kind of sits at the intersection between dream studies, cognitive neuroscience and literature/creative writing practices. A very unusual area, I know ? UNC is one of my top choices, they seem to have a lot of professors that kind of live in that realm of research between psychoanalysis, neuroscience, and literature. 

However, I also have a sinking feeling that my very odd niche might be the downfall of my applications this season. ?

1 hour ago, A Small Raven said:

Honestly I don't really have a 'period' as such - the research I want to do kind of sits at the intersection between dream studies, cognitive neuroscience and literature/creative writing practices. A very unusual area, I know ? UNC is one of my top choices, they seem to have a lot of professors that kind of live in that realm of research between psychoanalysis, neuroscience, and literature. 

However, I also have a sinking feeling that my very odd niche might be the downfall of my applications this season. ?

I don't think being "odd" is necessarily a disadvantage. I've been apprehensive, too, chiefly because I'm still an undergraduate and therefore haven't had time to develop my research interests extensively. I have thus far been rejected by two programs, but have received an invitation to an interview by another in spite of what I fear some would describe as the "vagueness" of my interests. At any rate, I wish you good luck with your applications!

I'm actually wondering how many people applied to UNC this year. I don't know if it's true, but their website says they typically receive between 300 and 400 applications yearly!

Edited by JaneLWH

2 hours ago, Magic Lantern said:

Thank you! Turning off the wifi definitely helps! I actually feel a bit more energetic now after staying away from the result page/my mailbox for the weekend. I hope you had a restful weekend too! Wishing you all the best at the start of this new week. :) 

Yes!! And drinking Tanq and Fever Tree elderflower helps! Haha. But that's just me (yes, I am drinking now; happy Monday!) ?

8 minutes ago, jujubee said:

Yes!! And drinking Tanq and Fever Tree elderflower helps! Haha. But that's just me (yes, I am drinking now; happy Monday!) ?

Big fan of the Lite Fever Tree too - and definitely have dug into the Sipsmith I got for Christmas. Cheers to good news over the next few weeks!

I'm starting to get nervous for UGA! It's a top 3 choice for me (and my sister went to undergrad there so I LOVE the city). Historically, their results come out smack dab in the middle of February, as in this week or next. Go bulldogs!

1 hour ago, kirbs005 said:

Big fan of the Lite Fever Tree too - and definitely have dug into the Sipsmith I got for Christmas. Cheers to good news over the next few weeks!

Yes!! I foresee in my buzzed state good news for everyone haha. Thanks and rooting for you, mate.