2021 Applicants

@EffervescentMoon and @1 Pint of Ricotta I was also neurotically mulling over those Cornell responses... it seems strange that they're so scattered and weeks earlier than usual, but I also don't want to get my hopes up... if you find any more information one way or the other I'd love to hear it!

jumping in from the comp lit thread just to let you guys know (since you're talking about cornell, too)--comp lit deadline was 10 january. historically, it looks like they generally let acceptances know around early feb, and then rejections in march; however, this year, they sent out a bunch of rejections. there was one interview on the board (last time anyone boarded an interview was...i think only one in 2018?), and no acceptances. some of us have not heard back at all though, and it looks like we're all in different fields.

all to say...it looks like cornell might be a bit odd this year.

Anyone hear anything from the Yale combined program in Film & Media Studies? I see a few folks have interviews and one person was accepted. I haven't heard anything myself so I'm unsure if they're taking their time or if only one of the combined departments (English and FMS, e.g.) have reached out. 

Also just a reminder for any FMS/Cinema people, I created a 2021 thread here! 

9 minutes ago, robertsona_grad said:

I applied to English and film and media studies at Yale (my dream program) and haven’t heard anything, prob not a great sign not to have gotten an interview but whatever. Yale English itself said this (hrmmm)/next week and feb 15 at latest. Whoosh

Thanks for the response. I applied to Comparative Literature and Film & Media. UC Berkeley is my personal top choice. I do hope they get back to us sooner. The wait is agonizing. I wish you the best of luck!

16 minutes ago, robertsona_grad said:

I applied to English and film and media studies at Yale (my dream program) and haven’t heard anything, prob not a great sign not to have gotten an interview but whatever. Yale English itself said this (hrmmm)/next week and feb 15 at latest. Whoosh

Also a followup question. Did you reach out to the English department directly for that information? I've been hesitant to reach out to FMS.

Just now, robertsona_grad said:

Yeah, to the English dept. Perhaps inadvisable; was certainly nervous; lady seemed really nice tho

I'm sure it's fine and you're not the only person who reached out ?

I tried scrolling through all the post history here to see if anyone else had mentioned this, so excuse me if I am at all redundant (so much engagement here, I love it!).

For anyone curious about Univ. of Washington, I received the same email as the folks who posted Jan 25th. Two details that seemed left out that may be interesting is that (1) failure to complete the HR form they sent out "may" result in disqualification in the offer of employment, and (2) admissions results should come out around Feb. 18th. The email also emphasized that it did not correspond to an actual offer, so I wouldn't lose hope if you did not receive it.

I'm curious if anyone else did receive this email? It seems rather odd to do paperwork for folks they may ultimately reject? I have re-read this email a ridiculous amount of times. I am usually fond of cryptic texts, but not like this. I remain ever hopeful. 

I got this email right after I got that email from UofO saying they didn't get any funding, which was absolutely devastating for me. It was ultimately a super emotional day.

Good luck to you dear folks. I hope you are being gentle to your weary hearts, you've accomplished so much in just applying to PhD programs amidst a pandemic.

1 minute ago, mirror_ said:

I tried scrolling through all the post history here to see if anyone else had mentioned this, so excuse me if I am at all redundant (so much engagement here, I love it!).

For anyone curious about Univ. of Washington, I received the same email as the folks who posted Jan 25th. Two details that seemed left out that may be interesting is that (1) failure to complete the HR form they sent out "may" result in disqualification in the offer of employment, and (2) admissions results should come out around Feb. 18th. The email also emphasized that it did not correspond to an actual offer, so I wouldn't lose hope if you did not receive it.

I'm curious if anyone else did receive this email? It seems rather odd to do paperwork for folks they may ultimately reject? I have re-read this email a ridiculous amount of times. I am usually fond of cryptic texts, but not like this. I remain ever hopeful. 

I got this email right after I got that email from UofO saying they didn't get any funding, which was absolutely devastating for me. It was ultimately a super emotional day.

Good luck to you dear folks. I hope you are being gentle to your weary hearts, you've accomplished so much in just applying to PhD programs amidst a pandemic.

Hi! I also applied to University of Washington but didn't get the January 25 email. Did you submit the "Teaching Assistantship or Fellowship Consideration" form with your app when you applied? I was wondering if that potentially had something to do with it. Could be wrong though! 

It could also just be that I'm out of the running at this point (aka, not in the top 15% or whatever that post said!). Sending good energies your way--I hope good news comes soon!

31 minutes ago, mirror_ said:

I had that exact same experience with the  Oregon and Washington emails that day! Was first so mad (especially because the teaching application for Oregon was so much extra legwork) and then pleasantly confused by the Washington email. I feel like the UW sexual misconduct declaration could have been just part of the application for everyone to streamline things, or at the end of the process when they're actually selecting people, but whatever. It also is directly tied to hiring employees in the state of Washington (a state legal requirement), so if anyone applied and DIDN'T select that you're interested in the teaching fellowship (or however you phrased it),  then you probably wouldn't have gotten the email. 

[and haha, I love your "I am usually fond of cryptic texts" ?]

Edited by wildsurmise

10 minutes ago, wildsurmise said:

I had that exact same experience with the  Oregon and Washington emails that day! Was first so mad (especially because the teaching application for Oregon was so much extra legwork) and then pleasantly confused by the Washington email. I feel like the UW sexual misconduct declaration could have been just part of the application for everyone to streamline things, or at the end of the process when they're actually selecting people, but whatever. It also is directly tied to hiring employees in the state of Washington (a state legal requirement), so if anyone applied and DIDN'T select that you're interested in the teaching fellowship (or however you phrased it),  then you probably wouldn't have gotten the email. 

Or conversely, if we did select that we are interested in the teaching fellowship and did not recieve the form, then we probably did not get in. ?

@Bopie5 I sincerely don't remember what I submitted for the "Teaching Assistantship or Fellowship Consideration" form. But according to the application portal, they received mine in December (I left my app sitting waiting for the SoP so long, I do not remember what I clicked/wrote in the app, I'm so sorry ?). So, perhaps you are right about that? & based off @wildsurmise's post, it seems that it may be true!

@dogeared It may not mean the end of their admissions process! I'm sure there's going to be a lot of turnover once admissions roll out and people decline offers?

@wildsurmise Oh yay! That's kind of a sweet relief hearing that someone got the exact same email experience. That clarification certainly helps, and well that just makes me want to live in WA even more. But on another note, are there folks that didn't select that in their application? I feel like it would be advised to do so, no matter what? Or maybe I am still really out of touch with the whole process, idk! UofO was the only place I applied to last cycle, and I was on their "very" short waitlist for a while, but ultimately didn't get in (COVID?). [& ty, I had to give that English major energy somehow lol]

[general apologies for my post formatting, am new here, as is probably evident]

On 2/5/2021 at 3:17 PM, wildsurmise said:

Hi, I didn't receive the email, but I am also a Washington resident. Was it the sort of email only sent to out of state applicants as an instate already fulfills the legal requirements???

Edited by FlowerNinja

36 minutes ago, FlowerNinja said:

Hi, I didn't receive the email, but I am also a Washington resident. Was it the sort of email only sent to out of state applicants as an instate already fulfills the legal requirements??? 

Argh sorry about all this admissions crypticness-- I'll just paste the bulk of the UW email here for the sake of transparency, I'm not sure about state resident status:

"I am pleased to let you know that your application has been advanced for consideration into the second round of our review process. The applications included in the second round of review represent just under 15% of our total applications for admission to the Literature and Culture track, so this is a significant achievement, although it is important to note that we have not yet selected our finalists and this letter does not constitute an offer of admission. We expect to communicate final decisions on or around February 18th.  In the meantime, as we continue with our ongoing review of applications, we need to ask that you please submit to the UW Human Resources department as soon as possible and no later than February 4, 2021, the form explained below.

The University of Washington is committed to ensuring a safe environment for all members of the UW community. As a part of that commitment, and in recognition of Washington state law, candidates for employment are required to complete a sexual misconduct declaration (see attachment). This includes prospective graduate students who might be offered employment-based funding with admission.

To ensure continued consideration for student employment, please complete the sexual misconduct declaration as soon as possible. Make sure you complete all sections and attach your electronic signature." 

3 minutes ago, wildsurmise said:

Argh sorry about all this admissions crypticness-- I'll just paste the bulk of the UW email here for the sake of transparency, I'm not sure about state resident status:

"I am pleased to let you know that your application has been advanced for consideration into the second round of our review process. The applications included in the second round of review represent just under 15% of our total applications for admission to the Literature and Culture track, so this is a significant achievement, although it is important to note that we have not yet selected our finalists and this letter does not constitute an offer of admission. We expect to communicate final decisions on or around February 18th.  In the meantime, as we continue with our ongoing review of applications, we need to ask that you please submit to the UW Human Resources department as soon as possible and no later than February 4, 2021, the form explained below.

The University of Washington is committed to ensuring a safe environment for all members of the UW community. As a part of that commitment, and in recognition of Washington state law, candidates for employment are required to complete a sexual misconduct declaration (see attachment). This includes prospective graduate students who might be offered employment-based funding with admission.

To ensure continued consideration for student employment, please complete the sexual misconduct declaration as soon as possible. Make sure you complete all sections and attach your electronic signature." 

Oh yeah that definitely seems like if we didn’t get this email then we didn’t make it into the second round. Congrats though omg that’s a nice email to get imo. Top 15% is already amazing. 

Okay not that I thought I would ever get into Yale, but seeing on the results page that they're only going to be admitting THREE STUDENTS makes even the EXISTENCE of that dream feel silly. Ugh, wishing everyone as restful a weekend as possible rn! I am going to order several pastries as a treat!!