2021 Applicants

9 hours ago, Warelin said:

Congratulations @Bopie5! It has been so much fun watching you post throughout the cycles. :)

Thank you ☺️  I appreciate you a lot--your knowledge and advice on here have been so helpful, both cycles. I'm excited to figure out where I end up wanting to go!

14 hours ago, R Westy said:

I applied to UVA and keep getting car insurance spam calls from Charlottesville area phone numbers. They take minutes off my life each time. Pray for me lol 

FWIW, as someone living here, they never stop and they're really annoying.

Lol anyone else have a list of potential decision dates on their fridge? Like even though I can just look at the results page to find info about previous years, I've taken it upon myself to set up a March Madness-esque list of dates, # of admitted students, and % of devastation I'll feel if I don't get in. In other words, I'm doing GREAT.

...I'm looking at you UC San Diego, Tufts, and U Rochester...

33 minutes ago, Lighthouse Lana said:

Lol anyone else have a list of potential decision dates on their fridge? Like even though I can just look at the results page to find info about previous years, I've taken it upon myself to set up a March Madness-esque list of dates, # of admitted students, and % of devastation I'll feel if I don't get in. In other words, I'm doing GREAT.

Yea I have a record of them on my Sticky Notes... So far they're all late

13 hours ago, Not_a_Robot22 said:

Has anyone else not gotten any PhD acceptances yet? I'm finishing my MA this semester and this is my first cycle applying to PhDs. I've gotten 3 rejections (Berkeley, Northwestern, and Cornell), no interviews or waitlists, and 7 more programs left to hear from. I'm not holding my breath ?

No acceptances for me yet - two rejections and one waitlist, though I don't hold much hope for the latter. This is my first cycle as well, but I've been out of academia for about three years since graduating from my MA, and forgot how severely anxiety-inducing the admissions process is. I'm waiting on three more programs (which happen to be my top three #stress). I wish I had applied to more programs, and if I get a full shutout this year, I'll probably apply to almost twice as many next year. 

I hope you get good news soon!

@AyoEmmy @Bopie5 @clara salmon 

Congrats to you all! (And sorry if I missed any other Davis admittees.)

I also got into Davis and *think* I will be attending. Still waiting on a handful of programs but Davis was my only interview out of my six applications, so I am not holding my breath on the others.

Which program did you all get into? (I'm Comp Lit.)

Hi friends! Question about the Comp Lit program at University of Toronto: Do they require hard copies of official transcripts? I only uploaded an electronic version of my official transcript through their online portal, and didn't mail anything to them. Just logged into the portal and saw that they did not receive my official transcript. Now I'm panicking...

3 hours ago, Lighthouse Lana said:

I have been color-coding a spreadsheet like it's the electoral college, with projections based on absolutely nothing except my own anxiety and the results page lol! 

13 minutes ago, Magic Lantern said:

Hi friends! Question about the Comp Lit program at University of Toronto: Do they require hard copies of official transcripts? I only uploaded an electronic version of my official transcript through their online portal, and didn't mail anything to them. Just logged into the portal and saw that they did not receive my official transcript. Now I'm panicking...

So what you uploaded would be unofficial transcripts. Write to the grad coordinator or whoever’s in charge, and ask if unofficial copies suffice at this point.

If you haven't applied to McGill you should do so in the future: you get an email telling you to check your portal, and then you have to click not a "View Decision Letter" key like at a normal school, oh no, you have to click on a key that says "Read Refusal Letter." 

Kinda got everything I needed from the headline! Oh well, my French is terrible and I hate puppetry. Canada's loss, the poor dears. 

41 minutes ago, LtotheOG said:

For the Duke rejects like me:

Duke.... izzzaa jUke.. n dose hoo getin.. getin by a fluke...??

I've started rewriting the lyrics to Ariana Grande's thank u, next, which I think goes along quite well with grad admissions:

"thought I'd end up at Duke... but it wasn't a match" ?

(to be continued pending further rejections haha)

2 minutes ago, NervousYolk said:

To those that have also applied to Yale and haven't heard back, has the application checklist in the portal disappeared for anyone else? I just checked mine after looking at the results page and am internally screaming

Yes, mine disappeared too.... not sure what that means.

6 minutes ago, NervousYolk said:

I think all of the graduate programs at UofT require hard copies in addition to electronic transcripts. Most departments are being flexible this year, I believe, and accepting official copies sent to them from the issuing institution electronically. While you wait to hear from the department, I recommend submitting the requests for your schools to send the electronic official transcripts. When I submitted mine, it took a few days for them to add them to my application after they were delivered!

That's very good to know! Thank you so much for your advice! I just heard back from the program coordinator who said that an unofficial e-transcript would suffice for now, and an official one sent from the institution would be required if they decide to admit me. Glad that they are being so flexible this year! 

Hey guys, I have been keeping up with this thread for the past few days. It seems like you all have been in this together for a long time and are super supportive. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was wondering if any people here with their master's degree could help me out? 

I don't have any friends in the same field of me and no one else in my family has gotten their master's. I was just acceptedi into a program, but kind of feel lost. I have no idea how grad school actually works. Haha, I don't know if I sound dumb or not, but I would genuinely appreciate any advice/guidance anyone could give!

7 minutes ago, gloryous said:

Hey guys, I have been keeping up with this thread for the past few days. It seems like you all have been in this together for a long time and are super supportive. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was wondering if any people here with their master's degree could help me out? 

I don't have any friends in the same field of me and no one else in my family has gotten their master's. I was just acceptedi into a program, but kind of feel lost. I have no idea how grad school actually works. Haha, I don't know if I sound dumb or not, but I would genuinely appreciate any advice/guidance anyone could give!

Send me a DM if you'd like! I went back for my MA after being out of school for 5 years, so my perspective might be a bit different from what you'd like, but I can offer any insight from my (rather specific) perspective, how I managed, etc.

Welp got my rejection from Yale. Not surprised- felt like it was a long shot and not the best fit. Would've been great for family reasons. Thought I would be more upset but I'm really not. I think knowing about only three slots helped with that. 

Trying to manifest an acceptance this admit season! Sending good vibes to everyone else.