2021 Applicants

5 minutes ago, gloryous said:

Hey guys, I have been keeping up with this thread for the past few days. It seems like you all have been in this together for a long time and are super supportive. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was wondering if any people here with their master's degree could help me out? 

I don't have any friends in the same field of me and no one else in my family has gotten their master's. I was just acceptedi into a program, but kind of feel lost. I have no idea how grad school actually works. Haha, I don't know if I sound dumb or not, but I would genuinely appreciate any advice/guidance anyone could give!

Well first, CONGRATS! That's such exciting news! Second, that is not a dumb question at all!! I think that the answer to your question will vary depending on who you ask. For example, my MA experience was pretty much a "choose your own adventure" where I set research goals early on and then completely changed my mind by the time I got to writing my thesis. Assuming you applied for an MA in English, graduate school is an opportunity to stretch your knowledge, enhance your research abilities, and, if available, teach! Happy to answer any questions you have if you want to DM me :)

39 minutes ago, robertsona_grad said:

I almost forgot that I applied to both english and film and media studies. Guess I'll have to wait for a little while longer. fooey. sorry to all those who got rejected, the whole Three Students thing threw a big wrench

Okay, I also did both, and my portal is still normal, and I can see the checklist and everything...but I'm guessing this is just a delayed rejection lol. 

28 minutes ago, gloryous said:

Hey guys, I have been keeping up with this thread for the past few days. It seems like you all have been in this together for a long time and are super supportive. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was wondering if any people here with their master's degree could help me out? 

I don't have any friends in the same field of me and no one else in my family has gotten their master's. I was just acceptedi into a program, but kind of feel lost. I have no idea how grad school actually works. Haha, I don't know if I sound dumb or not, but I would genuinely appreciate any advice/guidance anyone could give!

You can feel free to DM me as well! I am in a similar situation where no one in my family had gone to college and I didn't have any friends in the same field. Congrats on your acceptance!!

Out at Yale!! I've reached the point in the cycle where the spirit of a chill surfer dude has taken over my typically anxious body and is just telling me whatever happens, happens. After all, my cat thinks I'm the best human alive and that should be enough. Also can't stop thinking of "May I offer you an egg in these trying times?" Send help brain broken.

Edited by cassidyaxx

11 minutes ago, cassidyaxx said:

Out at Yale!! I've reached the point in the cycle where the spirit of a chill surfer dude has taken over my typically anxious body and is just telling me whatever happens, happens. After all, my cat thinks I'm the best human alive and that should be enough. Also can't stop thinking of "May I offer you an egg in these trying times?" Send help brain broken.

Right?! It's like my body literally could not be upset for ten days straight.

1 minute ago, NervousYolk said:

you're in a much healthier mindset than I am at least, even with just the fact that you have a cat honestly haha

I'm letting the existential dread wash over me while i fight the urge to fling myself into the snow outside oof 

you know that moment where you know the dishes in your cupboard are all going to crash and fall, but you shut the door anyway and tell yourself you'll deal with it at a future time? that's my mental state atm lol 

Accepted at UC Santa Cruz! Not my top choice but my God, does this ease my stress level a monumental amount. Plus, the phone call was super personal and kind, I'm kind of flabbergasted they seemed so interested in me.

52 minutes ago, kitties said:

Accepted at UC Santa Cruz! Not my top choice but my God, does this ease my stress level a monumental amount. Plus, the phone call was super personal and kind, I'm kind of flabbergasted they seemed so interested in me.

I got in to UCSC too! I was the one that said I shotgunned a white claw, do you want to be slug friends??

1 hour ago, caitlin_flawed said:

I got in to UCSC too! I was the one that said I shotgunned a white claw, do you want to be slug friends??

Yes!! I'll message you, go banana slugs!

4 hours ago, gloryous said:

Always happy to provide any help I can as well. Feel free to drop me a PM. :)

14 hours ago, gloryous said:

Fellow rhetoric person here, I'd be happy to answer any questions if you send me a DM. I did do my MA in a Comm department, but am still happy to answer any questions.

On 2/9/2021 at 2:36 AM, Bopie5 said:

In at Davis!!! My first English acceptance of this cycle. Really exciting and particularly validating since I was rejected from their program in my last app cycle. I'm so happy! Funding details to come, but it feels amazing to have multiple good offers on the table.

Bopie, I have been here since 2019 as well and I can't really articulate how I feel about your acceptance. Though I must assure you that all my feelings verge on awe. Your presence has cheered so many of us over the last couple of years! Firstly, congratulations and hopefully you will be spoilt for choice by the end of the circle!

I had an acceptance in 2019 but I am an international student and the funding didn't really work out. Like you took the MA route I took a similar route (Mphil). I had planned to apply this season but the pandemic proved to be somewhat of a deterrent. I say somewhat because the biggest deterrent is my own insecurity about my potential. There are so many brilliant scholars who receive multiple offers that it is hard to be very hopeful.

Yet, ever since I have read about your acceptance, it has made me somewhat hopeful for the second cycle (I am planning to apply for Fall 2022). Being hopeful is such a difficult stance these days! I feel, simply by being on this forum, I have been a witness to your enormous potential, but more importantly, your hard work and absolute commitment to your work and grad school over the last two years. It's hard to see such unwavering determination amidst everything that has been happening since last year and it's indeed heartening (and if I may say so without sounding sentimental-- very inspirational *tearing up*).

Your effort and acceptance have restored a kind of faith in the effort that I have put since the last cycle. I don't think much of my scholarly potential but I have still put in some effort and I feel I have improved as a scholar. But without your acceptance, the hard work would not have had much validation. Your acceptance validates so many of our efforts who are/will be risking another cycle. It's probably hard for you to comprehend how much moral force your hard work and acceptance bear but the force has been pretty enormous :D

All the very best and hopefully we will get to read more of your works very soon! After all not many think or write about reality cooking shows and their racial and ethnic biases! *_* *all admiration* 

In at UConn!! I'm genuinely so excited and especially after getting back to back rejections from Yale and Cornell, it's amazing to know I'll have somewhere to go!! Thank you to all of you for providing such a welcoming and thoughtful place on the internet!

16 minutes ago, ghost-enthusiast said:

In at UConn!! I'm genuinely so excited and especially after getting back to back rejections from Yale and Cornell, it's amazing to know I'll have somewhere to go!! Thank you to all of you for providing such a welcoming and thoughtful place on the internet!

HOLY SHIT CONGRATULATIONS!!! So happy for you!! ?

54 minutes ago, ghost-enthusiast said:

Omg huge congrats!!! Let me know if you have any questions at all about the program, I'd be happy to help :)

1 hour ago, Hard times! said:

Bopie, I have been here since 2019 as well and I can't really articulate how I feel about your acceptance. Though I must assure you that all my feelings verge on awe. Your presence has cheered so many of us over the last couple of years! Firstly, congratulations and hopefully you will be spoilt for choice by the end of the circle!

I had an acceptance in 2019 but I am an international student and the funding didn't really work out. Like you took the MA route I took a similar route (Mphil). I had planned to apply this season but the pandemic proved to be somewhat of a deterrent. I say somewhat because the biggest deterrent is my own insecurity about my potential. There are so many brilliant scholars who receive multiple offers that it is hard to be very hopeful.

Yet, ever since I have read about your acceptance, it has made me somewhat hopeful for the second cycle (I am planning to apply for Fall 2022). Being hopeful is such a difficult stance these days! I feel, simply by being on this forum, I have been a witness to your enormous potential, but more importantly, your hard work and absolute commitment to your work and grad school over the last two years. It's hard to see such unwavering determination amidst everything that has been happening since last year and it's indeed heartening (and if I may say so without sounding sentimental-- very inspirational *tearing up*).

Your effort and acceptance have restored a kind of faith in the effort that I have put since the last cycle. I don't think much of my scholarly potential but I have still put in some effort and I feel I have improved as a scholar. But without your acceptance, the hard work would not have had much validation. Your acceptance validates so many of our efforts who are/will be risking another cycle. It's probably hard for you to comprehend how much moral force your hard work and acceptance bear but the force has been pretty enormous :D

All the very best and hopefully we will get to read more of your works very soon! After all not many think or write about reality cooking shows and their racial and ethnic biases! *_* *all admiration* 

Wow, can I just say, coming out of my weekly therapy appointment to this message...overwhelming. Apparently I can't react to any more posts today, but I wish I could heart react this multiple times. 

You are so kind for saying this, and for taking the time to write this message. I am so glad that you feel a sense of restored faith/hope/inspiration. Grad school can be so frustrating/confusing/demoralizing (honestly, just being alive can be all of those things). But it can also be so generative and fulfilling and exciting! I am wishing you all the best as well, wherever you end up in the future. If going to grad school is what you really want, I think it is worth it to try again (obviously, I certainly feel that way for myself). Also, I hope that you come to think more of your scholarly potential! It's hard to shut down imposter syndrome, but I really do believe we all have something to offer and something meaningful to say. We are here, after all. 

I am rooting for you. I hope that Fall 2022 goes wonderfully for you--I'm sure that cycle will be strange and unruly like this one, but if there's anything I can do to help, please just let me know. Happy to answer questions, read SoPs, etc. We're in this together. Academia can often create pressure to view everyone else as a competitor. But we are actually each other's collaborators and supporters, I really do believe that. We all stand to gain from each other's work and success. I look forward to celebrating yours in the future 

25 minutes ago, R Westy said:

Yeah I haven’t heard anything either, emailed the DGS this morning and no response. Feeling very forgotten lol. 

Jeez, I'm really losing my mind bc I feel like I just don't hear back from anyone lol. Could you let me know if you hear anything? good luck :)

Just now, A Small Raven said:

Guys this might be a super dumb question, but what does it mean when there's a red diamond next to the admissions decision that someone posted on the results page??

Click it and it’s a way to view the poster’s self reported GPA and GRE scores