2021 Applicants

Is anyone else trying to stave off the horrible suspicion that this cycle will yield nothing but rejections across the board? This is my second go-round and I have virtually no back-up plan, and to add insult to injury, I feel more or less convinced that pursuing an English PhD is in fact the only thing I want to do with my life for the next six years or so... Are there any good ways for coping with the dread of complete rejection?

Just now, TheorySchmeory said:

Is anyone else trying to stave off the horrible suspicion that this cycle will yield nothing but rejections across the board? This is my second go-round and I have virtually no back-up plan, and to add insult to injury, I feel more or less convinced that pursuing an English PhD is in fact the only thing I want to do with my life for the next six years or so... Are there any good ways for coping with the dread of complete rejection?

Yea, most of my rejections have been from respected places with probably tons of applicants but I cant help but feel like I will literally get rejected from everywhere...

3 minutes ago, TheorySchmeory said:

Literally the exact monologue in my head. This is also my second go-round and I got rejected from 2/7 today. I think that it's helpful for me to have a project going on that contributes to my overall goals regardless of whether or not I get in this year. Right now, that's revising a paper to send to journals and that makes me feel smart/distracted/competent. 

Just now, missmarianne said:

Literally the exact monologue in my head. This is also my second go-round and I got rejected from 2/7 today. I think that it's helpful for me to have a project going on that contributes to my overall goals regardless of whether or not I get in this year. Right now, that's revising a paper to send to journals and that makes me feel smart/distracted/competent. 

Man that sucks, I hope you get in somewhere

2 hours ago, TheorySchmeory said:

I don't advocate alcoholism by any means but it's been G&Ts for me this season (actually, the whole pandemic) and the occasional attempts at exercise. It's hard to stay optimistic with news of increased applications and smaller cohort sizes but there's hardly any choice, is there, haha. Chin up. We're in this together. ?

And kudos to all who have acceptances so far! What an achievement to be chosen in such a competitive cycle!

1 hour ago, jujubee said:

I don't advocate alcoholism by any means but it's been G&Ts for me this season (actually, the whole pandemic) and the occasional attempts at exercise. It's hard to stay optimistic with news of increased applications and smaller cohort sizes but there's hardly any choice, is there, haha. Chin up. We're in this together. ?

And kudos to all who have acceptances so far! What an achievement to be chosen in such a competitive cycle!

Ooo I haven't had a G&T in a while, will be stealing that idea...

Massive congratulations to those who have been accepted, although it can be disappointing to see acceptances on the board it always makes me happy to know that someone out there has had a well-deserved win !!

Also good luck to all of us in purgatory/with rejections, keep hanging in there (barely)!

5 hours ago, TheorySchmeory said:

Oh absolutely! I have one waitlist so far but pretty much implied rejections from everywhere else with only three schools left to notify at this point (and one of those is Yale LOL). The things I tell myself every day to stave off mental despair and tears:

-This cycle is competitive. Crazy competitive. Undergrads don't even have to deal with these percentage of acceptances when they're applying to Ivy Leagues, yet most of us have submitted applications to schools with acceptance rates of less than 5%. The fact that you're a strong enough scholar to even compete means that you're most likely in the right place.

-Even though it will suck (and as someone who has done 3 cycles now, it will def still suck), you can apply again. That causes me dread, too. I don't want to do this again. BUT, I took a gap year after undergrad and the year flew by, and despite people saying "if you take a year off you'll never go back!"-- yes you will. I did, many people do. If you're committed, you will try again even though the process sucks. 

-Ooh boy this is the hardest one to tell myself and it's still not solidified, but your worth as a person (and as a scholar!) does not change simply because you were rejected or had a shutout. You are still smart. You are still kind. You are still dedicated, or motivated, or funny, or talented, or whatever you believe is best about yourself. People who love you don't think you're a failure. They know you are these wonderful things, and you will try again if need be, and you will still be successful regardless of the outcome. 

I am perhaps just writing this post to make myself feel better, but maybe it will make some of you feel better too, even if for a fleeting second. While gradcafe undoubtedly causes me great anxiety at times, I am actually really thankful to have found this website. A lot of people on here are really kind and supportive, especially in the Lit section (shout out to this thread!!), and I find myself truly happy to see people receive acceptances, even if it means I receive a rejection, because I know they're feeling the same exact way as myself. I don't even know most of you by name, wouldn't recognize you on the street, yet we have somehow forged a small community here that is supportive and helpful and really quite wonderful. 

I sincerely hope all of us receive some good news. I've seen cycles where people believe they're shutout until April 15th, or have gotten rejections from every school and then receive an acceptance from their reach/dream school out of nowhere. Anything can happen, which is both a blessing and a curse for those of us ridden with anxious tendencies. Here's to making it through these coming weeks, which I'm sure will be challenging for us all. Good luck, everyone!!!

Edited by cassidyaxx

3 hours ago, cassidyaxx said:

and despite people saying "if you take a year off you'll never go back!"-- yes you will. I did, many people do. If you're committed, you will try again even though the process sucks. 

I HATE when people say you won't come back after a gap year.  I took 2.5 years off after undergrad (hooray December grad) and have taken another 2 years if I were to start this Fall. I was told at my MA institution that it was a benefit on my application. The vast majority of the people in my MA cohort had taken a gap year. It shows dedication and passion for the field coming back. 

This time off allows you to find something to do that builds both your resume and CV if you can. I worked as a software trainer both times, and while I don't *love* it, I can say I've had 4 years of teaching/training experience, something that's always needed. I've taught lots of classes, done one-to-one work, and have completely redesigned classes and written assessments. 

Are there drawbacks? Sure (hello GRE scores that are expiring this Fall, looking at you if I need to apply again). But its not the end of the world that everyone makes it out to be. It's challenging, not going to lie I've had a lot of tearful nights because I don't like what I'm doing and am very anxious to make a switch back into academia again, but I wouldn't change how I did things. You learn a lot of "real life" skills too, which are so important. 

Long story short, I'll repeat @cassidyaxx in saying that you are not your results, and it will suck if I don't get admitted anywhere this year, but taking time off is not the end of the world and can end up being beneficial in the long run. If you want to talk to me about my time off/getting back in, shoot me a DM.

25 minutes ago, kirbs005 said:

t's challenging, not going to lie I've had a lot of tearful nights because I don't like what I'm doing and am very anxious to make a switch back into academia again, but I wouldn't change how I did things. You learn a lot of "real life" skills too, which are so important. 

This is so relatable. Am I happy during my gap years? NO. Are these two years meaningful? Definitely. I'd say that they are even necessary for me to figure out what I really want to do with my life.

I also really appreciate this little community we have here on gradcafe (The result page gives me panic attacks, but the forum makes me feel less alone and keeps me going). Hang in there, friends. You are all such wonderful people!

46 minutes ago, kirbs005 said:

but taking time off is not the end of the world and can end up being beneficial in the long run. If you want to talk to me about my time off/getting back in, shoot me a DM.

Same goes for me! I've worked in several retail management jobs, and now thankfully have a job lined up with Americorps. If anyone wants tips/advice, whatever, I am more than happy to help!

23 hours ago, Magic Lantern said:

Just got officially rejected by Northwestern. I thought I'd get the rejection letter from someone in the comparative literature department, but instead the letter is from the Dean of the Graduate School who is a professor in the biosciences department. Just a generic letter, I guess?

This seems to be pretty standard, unless you have a close relationship with someone in the department. I got the same from the Princeton Slavic Dept yesterday. Since I only got one interview and subsequent acceptance (UCDavis, Comp Lit - Yay!!!), I'm now just waiting on 5 remaining rejections. (Northwestern Slavic is one of them.) ? ? (I'm not sure if all programs interview, but it looks like all the ones I am waiting on usually do.)

Has anyone had any good news from UC Davis English? On the results page there are a few rejections but no acceptances, which is interesting. In past years Davis has sent rejections after acceptances...probably another effect of this year being so weird, but I'm also curious if acceptances have gone out to people who aren't on this forum. My portal still says submitted!

Edited by Bopie5

On 2/1/2021 at 7:00 PM, cassidyaxx said:

Has anyone reached out to Notre Dame at all? I'm wondering if they'll be doing interviews this year or just sending outright acceptances, but I've been hesitant to contact any programs as it's still rather early. 

No, I have thought about asking, but yeah it does still seem a bit early and I don't want to come across as too demanding ?... I'm leaning towards hypothesizing no ND  interviews at all this year as it's getting later and later, but zooms may still happen I suppose? 

Edited by wildsurmise

2 hours ago, kirbs005 said:

I HATE when people say you won't come back after a gap year.  I took 2.5 years off after undergrad (hooray December grad) and have taken another 2 years if I were to start this Fall. I was told at my MA institution that it was a benefit on my application. The vast majority of the people in my MA cohort had taken a gap year. It shows dedication and passion for the field coming back. 

This time off allows you to find something to do that builds both your resume and CV if you can. I worked as a software trainer both times, and while I don't *love* it, I can say I've had 4 years of teaching/training experience, something that's always needed. I've taught lots of classes, done one-to-one work, and have completely redesigned classes and written assessments. 

Are there drawbacks? Sure (hello GRE scores that are expiring this Fall, looking at you if I need to apply again). But its not the end of the world that everyone makes it out to be. It's challenging, not going to lie I've had a lot of tearful nights because I don't like what I'm doing and am very anxious to make a switch back into academia again, but I wouldn't change how I did things. You learn a lot of "real life" skills too, which are so important. 

Long story short, I'll repeat @cassidyaxx in saying that you are not your results, and it will suck if I don't get admitted anywhere this year, but taking time off is not the end of the world and can end up being beneficial in the long run. If you want to talk to me about my time off/getting back in, shoot me a DM.

THIS^^^^^! I took a gap year between my BA and my MA because I needed to figure out my next step. I was then able to do a killer MA program that I might not have considered if I rushed the process. 

Since then, it has been 12...let me reiterate...TWELVE YEARS since I was in school. I had a career in retail/restaurant management, started my family and have been running my own business from home for the last five years. Doing all of that made me a better me and will definitely make me a better professor. It may have limited my options for my education, but it DID NOT take me out of the running. That said, trust your instincts, y'all, and do what is right for you.

And, if you don't get in this time around, don't give up! This year is weird. With so many funded programs not accepting applications (or accepting fewer students due to limited funding), I am sure many programs had a much larger applicant pool than they are accustomed to with fewer spots to fill, making competition even stiffer than usual. 

I honestly had no idea how being a (MUCH) older student would affect my chances, but I think it really comes down to finding the department that is the right fit for you. You want to join a department that is excited about YOU; your research but also you, as an individual. So, if this year doesn't work out, take the experience and learn from it so y'all can kick ass next year!