2021 Applicants

20 minutes ago, GravityandGrace said:

Did anyone who applied to WUSTL and their Spencer T. & Ann W. Olin Fellowship for Women get an email yesterday (Thursday) from the fellowship committee saying that their file is now considered complete? Not sure why I would get this email now after applying at the end of December. Wondering if this is a sign?? ?

I also got that email, but have no idea whether we should consider it a sign or not. Eep!

23 minutes ago, GravityandGrace said:

Did anyone who applied to WUSTL and their Spencer T. & Ann W. Olin Fellowship for Women get an email yesterday (Thursday) from the fellowship committee saying that their file is now considered complete? Not sure why I would get this email now after applying at the end of December. Wondering if this is a sign?? ?

Possibly a sign. I applied, but I didn’t get that email. I also didn’t apply until the last week, so maybe they just haven’t gotten to my application yet. 

16 minutes ago, R Westy said:

I also got that email, but have no idea whether we should consider it a sign or not. Eep!

I got it as well, but about a week ago. I applied pretty early, so it may just be them going through and marking them as complete? Though I'd love for it to be a sign! Here's to hoping we hear back soon!

2 hours ago, GravityandGrace said:

Is this supposed to be sent to those who applied to the fellowship or all potential candidates?

2 hours ago, cassidyaxx said:

I got it as well, but about a week ago. I applied pretty early, so it may just be them going through and marking them as complete? Though I'd love for it to be a sign! Here's to hoping we hear back soon!

31 minutes ago, schlum said:

Is this supposed to be sent to those who applied to the fellowship or all potential candidates?

2 hours ago, EffervescentMoon said:

Possibly a sign. I applied, but I didn’t get that email. I also didn’t apply until the last week, so maybe they just haven’t gotten to my application yet. 

3 hours ago, GravityandGrace said:

2 hours ago, R Westy said:

While some universities notify applicants earlier if they nominate them for a grad school fellowship, WashU has a different process. 

There are criteria that have to be met in order to be met which can be found here: https://graduateschool.wustl.edu/olin-application

This is also noted: 
Applicants are considered without regard to age, disability, race, religion, sexual orientation, or national origin and with regard only to the excellence of their qualifications. Selection is by a committee chaired by the Director of the Olin Fellowship Program. The announcement of the award of Olin Fellowships is made in early March.

In FY20 (https://graduateschool.wustl.edu/sites/graduateschool.wustl.edu/files/FY20 Olin Fellowship Annual Report.pdf), the Spencer T. & Ann W. Olin Fellowship at Washington University in St. Louis received 862 applications and made 11 offers. In 2019, Dr. Jill Biden was the keynote speaker at the 45th Annual Olin Conference. (https://graduateschool.wustl.edu/sites/graduateschool.wustl.edu/files/opportunities/fellowship/Olin Fellowship Annual Report 18-19.pdf)

1 hour ago, DanArndtWrites said:

Ope, just found typos in my writing sample (including in the first sentence!) After sending it out to everywhere so rip me

Did you realize them just now? Are they obvious? If you carefully edited and you just caught them now, I'm pretty sure the admissions committee will glance over them.

1 hour ago, DanArndtWrites said:

Ope, just found typos in my writing sample (including in the first sentence!) After sending it out to everywhere so rip me

I’m not gonna rip you. Care helps, but I don’t think typos are deal-breakers!

55 minutes ago, LtotheOG said:

How much of a difference (if at all) does your POI being or not being on the admissions committee make towards chances of acceptance?

From conversations I've had, it makes no difference in the humanities. Professors understand that the department at large is funding you and also understand (and expect) that many applicants will change interests as they progress with their coursework.

12 hours ago, The Maritime Scholar said:

Yeah, that's BS. Haha. But whatever. They could if they really wanted to. DGS just replied to my email. I was rejected. First rejection! Woohoo! ??

Hi... can I ask, if you had a POI you had communicated with at UIUC?

I’m asking because I had, and am trying to figure out if that unhelped, at least in my case. Thanks!

Edited by LtotheOG

Can a single negative LOR (amongst 3 or 4) ruin your chances for good?

Pls excuse the long story.

I was already pursuing a phd in History at nyu from 2019. A year later (during the height of the pandemic in NY), my department and my advisor declared me unfit with the discipline of History, and recommended that I withdrew. I have historically been a student of Literature (in Eng), having completed both my bachelor’s and my master’s in it.

I subsequently redirected my energy and resources towards securing a PhD position in Lit. Unfortunately for me, all the places I applied to this cycle kinda demanded that I supplied them with at least one LOR from the last school I attended. And it turned out that nobody but my former advisor eventually decided to help me with the recommendation. (Initially she was reluctant, but she proved quite prompt at the end). 

However, I have good reason not to trust her given our history, and now I’ve had my first rejection from a program I thought was a good fit. 

I would really appreciate any thoughts you cared to share on this. Thank you!

Edited by LtotheOG

5 hours ago, LtotheOG said:

I’m asking because I had, and am trying to figure out if that unhelped, at least in my case. Thanks!

Hey, @LtotheOG!

I didn't reach out to a POI at any program actually, except for one. This was the only school where they actually saw me and talked with me during an info session, which is ironic. But I guess that didn't really do much for me. And to answer your question about whether they accept more of their MA students, I saw that on their website. Which I guess makes sense, but it shouldn't be like that. I knew I'd be rejected, but I at least thought I'd be placed on the waiting list. Maybe they don't have a waiting list. Also, one of my recommenders knew a POI I mentioned in my SOP, but I guess his letter didn't hold any weight there. 

Ugh. Every morning I wake up to at least 150 emails. Most of them are deleted because they're just random emails that I'm subscribed to. But the fact that I have to go through all those and delete them while trying to see if there's an acceptance (or rejection) in there somewhere is nerve-racking. Hah ?

26 minutes ago, The Maritime Scholar said:

Hey, @LtotheOG!

I didn't reach out to a POI at any program actually, except for one. This was the only school where they actually saw me and talked with me during an info session, which is ironic. But I guess that didn't really do much for me. And to answer your question about whether they accept more of their MA students, I saw that on their website. Which I guess makes sense, but it shouldn't be like that. I knew I'd be rejected, but I at least thought I'd be placed on the waiting list. Maybe they don't have a waiting list. Also, one of my recommenders knew a POI I mentioned in my SOP, but I guess his letter didn't hold any weight there. 

Thanks so much for the details, @The Maritime Scholar!

I do smell a certain opaqueness in the admissions here at UIUC, to say the least. And favouring their own MAs is definitely problematic! 

My POI said she would look into what exactly happened... anyway, I’ve said my goodbye as well! :)

26 minutes ago, The Maritime Scholar said:

Ugh. Every morning I wake up to at least 150 emails. Most of them are deleted because they're just random emails that I'm subscribed to. But the fact that I have to go through all those and delete them while trying to see if there's an acceptance (or rejection) in there somewhere is nerve-racking. Hah ?

That’s worrying! Lol

6 hours ago, LtotheOG said:

HI, so sorry to hear about your NYU experience. It must have been difficult to go through that process to reapply... But don't lose hope and try not to think too much based on one rejection. 

As for UIUC, I received an acceptance early Jan (the poster here who put up the result). I was in touch with the DGS, not a POI (I had written to my POI, but she did not respond)... and well, the exchange with him was certainly encouraging. But anyway, so I guess I am not sure if being in touch with your POI impacts much one way or another, at least in case of UIUC. 

2 minutes ago, ShivD said:

HI, so sorry to hear about your NYU experience. It must have been difficult to go through that process to reapply... But don't lose hope and try not to think too much based on one rejection. 

As for UIUC, I received an acceptance early Jan (the poster here who put up the result). I was in touch with the DGS, not a POI (I had written to my POI, but she did not respond)... and well, the exchange with him was certainly encouraging. But anyway, so I guess I am not sure if being in touch with your POI impacts much one way or another, at least in case of UIUC. 

Thank you, @ShivD! And congratulations on your acceptance!!

Just to clarify, UIUC English, yes?

Just now, LtotheOG said:

Thank you, @ShivD! And congratulations on your acceptance!!

Just to clarify, UIUC English, yes?

Thank you!

Wait, no! Comparative and World Literature at UIUC. Just realised that you had asked about English-- oops, my bad! :)

Just now, ShivD said:

Thank you!

Wait, no! Comparative and World Literature at UIUC. Just realised that you had asked about English-- oops, my bad! :)

No worries!! :)

I asked because the dgs at eng actually identifies as a she, and the acceptance poster (for Eng) came out very recently.

btw, I am located in India too, and having to make the trek and back all in one year was crushing.

Anyway, all the best to you! 

29 minutes ago, LtotheOG said:

No worries!! :)

I asked because the dgs at eng actually identifies as a she, and the acceptance poster (for Eng) came out very recently.

btw, I am located in India too, and having to make the trek and back all in one year was crushing.

Anyway, all the best to you! 

Ahan! Yes, I was finishing my MA in New York and rushed back to India on the last flight that was going that was allowed to enter India from the U.S. Such madness!! Much of my stuff is still in New York, including several of my books. I hope you managed it better than I! 

All the best to you as well :)

5 minutes ago, ShivD said:

Ahan! Yes, I was finishing my MA in New York and rushed back to India on the last flight that was going that was allowed to enter India from the U.S. Such madness!! Much of my stuff is still in New York, including several of my books. I hope you managed it better than I! 

All the best to you as well :)

Thanks! :)

And no, I didn’t manage it well at all!